Trent Alexander-Arnold

Riordon

I wish we had just one fullback who can pass like that. Liverpool has two of them. Great fullbacks does great things to a team

Copperpot

Banned
Only just turned 21 and already played 2 Champions League finals and arguably the best attacking RB in the world.

I've never seen a RB cross and pass the ball the way he does, those 2 balls he put in yesterday for VVD and Mane was Beckham like, as many people say he could quite easy play in midfield.

England have some fantastic talent coming through, could soon have the best attacking RB (Trent Alexander Arnold) and best defensive RB (Wan Bissaka).

Last edited:

Yannik

I've never seen a RB cross and pass the ball the way he does, those 2 balls he put in yesterday for VVD and Mane was Beckham like, as many people say he could quite easy play in midfield.

Lahm did that a lot and Kimmich as of now is doing it in similar style.

El Gato

Villarato!
It's not uncommon. I don't watch him every week so I'd love to see how many of these he misses, but he does seem precise with his switches. Note that he's basically got a Scottish Alba on the other side on the receiving end every time. That being said, again, not uncommon to see these on the top level. Marcelo has been doing this for years, but he's a GOAT left back. It's good to see Trent is gifted like this. Sets him apart from the Maicons and allows for far greater offensive flexibility. Where Trippier is Carvajal, Trent is Alves.

It's not uncommon. I don't watch him every week so I'd love to see how many of these he misses, but he does seem precise with his switches. Note that he's basically got a Scottish Alba on the other side on the receiving end every time. That being said, again, not uncommon to see these on the top level. Marcelo has been doing this for years, but he's a GOAT left back. It's good to see Trent is gifted like this. Sets him apart from the Maicons and allows for far greater offensive flexibility. Where Trippier is Carvajal, Trent is Alves.

The words Trent and Alves should not be put in the same sentence ... ever. Trent is good at crossing. Alves mastered all aspects of being a full back. He made the whole right side his own.

Marcelo is not even close to GOAT level either. He's only had 4 years max at a high level and even those were nothing ground breaking. Compared to a player like Roberto Carlos , I don't see any facet of football Marcelo does better tbh.

It's also clear that Alba has been more consistent, more successful and just as good in his prime if not better.

Last edited:

ASordidGod

He's got a hell of a delivery, it's true. His all round game however? Nothing special at all imo. Plus he's suspect defensively. Right now I'd categorise him as someone playing in a system which suits him perfectly and which makes him look better than he actually is. I mean, only the game before he was shut down completely by a bang average Utd. Deny him the space to cross and he's redundant. Bit harsh maybe, but I just feel he gets overly hyped. I'm not 100% sold certainly, and wouldn't want him here since we rarely cross from deep and his build up isn't great, at least not so I've noticed.

Copperpot

Banned

With respect i think it is quite uncommon, in the Premier League only Kevin De Bruyne has more key passes per game than Alexander-Arnold (a right back) this season, that is not a common stat at all!

Marcelo has been a beast of a LB for years, so there's still a long way to go for TAA to get to that level, but there's been a dime a dozen Marcelo's in football. Trent-Alexander style is unusual, in the same way Roberto Carlos was/is unusual.

El Gato

Villarato!
The words Trent and Alves should not be put in the same sentence ... ever. Trent is good at crossing. Alves mastered all aspects of being a full back. He made the whole right side his own.

Marcelo is not even close to GOAT level either. He's only had 4 years max at a high level and even those were nothing ground breaking. Compared to a player like Roberto Carlos , I don't see any facet of football Marcelo does better tbh.

It's also clear that Alba has been more consistent, more successful and just as good in his prime if not better.

Alves wasn't even a RB really, he was a #10 who just fancied playing from the back. He played striker several times for Sao Paulo this season. He's just a great attacker who can play pretty much anywhere bar the left side.

Carlos said several times Marcelo's levels above him in terms of raw skill. Don't really see the reason to argue, it's clear to anyone who watched either of the two play who's been a more influential player during their time. Alba is probably the only guy who comes close to Marcelo in terms of being an MVP playmaker left back. As defenders many were better than any of them, but you'd never pick them to win a game of football. Marcelo is in the very same mould as Alves, but less systematic.

Not sure of the point of ranking one over the other. It's like saying Ronaldinho wasn't a GOAT level talent because he performed for 3 seasons and got bored. Or that Ronaldo wasn't one because of his knees and having weight issues.

[MENTION=26762]Copperpot[/MENTION]
It really is quite common to have fullbacks register key passes in teams playing any iteration of 4-3-3/4-2-3-1. Again, if he has more key passes, he probably has more passes than many midfielders. Not that unusual on that level. It's part of Liverpool's success given their midfielders are mostly brute grafters with inhumane endurance, but you don't really want them to be on the ball all that often.

Last edited:

Riordon

It really is quite common to have fullbacks register key passes in teams playing any iteration of 4-3-3/4-2-3-1. Again, if he has more key passes, he probably has more passes than many midfielders. Not that unusual on that level. It's part of Liverpool's success given their midfielders are mostly brute grafters with inhumane endurance, but you don't really want them to be on the ball all that often.

Would you say that Semedo’s ridiculously low amount of keypasses is due to him being shitty offensively or Valverde’s tactic? He is averaging 0.3 keypasses which is shit for a Barca RB. No wonder we create absolutely nothing on the right.

Home of Barca Fans