Which approach should Barca follow in the summer?

Should we start a gradual rebuild through youth?

• Youth, prepare for life after Messi

Votes: 36 64.3%
  • Try to bring immediate help for Messi and be in full win now mode

Votes: 16 28.6%
  • Whatever

Votes: 4 7.1%

• Total voters

khaled_a_d

So after the embarrassment against Liverpool we are gonna hear a lot of talking about our transfer, that we are going after player x or player y etc
The question for me, should we look for a youth movement in attempt to rebuild? or we should go all in trying to win as much next couple of years with Messi.
The last time Barca went for full rebuild was in 2003 when Rijkaard,Laporta & Txiki arrived. Club has been successful in retooling the team to make continual success, at least domestically. I am not sure if this can work anymore
While we aren't going to do one in absolute way, there is some decisions that we need to be more decisive in what we want.
A prime example of that is Suarez replacement, Older players like Griezmann or Aubameyang are more likely to help us next season but not in 3 years. On the other hand we run into risk with players like Felix/Jovic/Piątek whom might not turn very good.
Should we look to promote many Barca B players in order to give them experience? or keep more veterans for the bench?

Last edited:

messi2140

6racies Xavi
Go full youth mode. Make the young players starters and give them the full tconfidence. This is what I posted in the XI for 2019/2020 thread

This would be my lineup

Mats
Semedo-Pique/Lenglet-De Ligt-Alba
Arthur-Vidal/Busi-Fdj
Dembele-Messi-Son

Sell Raktic and Suarez.

And play Busi and Pique based on merit instead of letting them play because they are senior players. If they dont perform well , bench them. While at the same time giving these young players which Barca should be built on the full confidence. I would keep Robertoas he is a great utility and bench player.

Because personally I dont think Messi or this Barca will win another CL either way with or without Valverde ( It will be really hard to bounce off 2 massive bottle jobs orchestrated by that coward of a manager) for the coming years , so we might aswell stop wasting time and try to build for the future.

Last edited:

FCBfan22

Prepare for post Messi years. Even with rebuilding the midfield and other positions, if we have some a good coach, Messi can still bring us domestic succes IMO. We might even get lucky in the CL one year.

But most importantly: Sell/Bench/Phase out entitled senior diva players.

FC B

Very unlikely but not impossible either.

I'd try everything to bring Klopp and lure him with a rock solid project, a serious salary not €7 or €10 mill that is said he has now and serious perfomance bounuses, give him total control of sporting department, give him total control of who stays and who comes and also give him lots of time for two or even three seasons until he manages to build another of his very very good squads and thus prepare Barca for the post Messi era, otherwise I trust nobody else to rebuild from scrap after the final days of our golden are over. The chaotic management of the team is clear and the club is on auto pilot since Pep left. Furthermore, unlike Pep, Klopp stayed at his teams Mainz and BVB for seven years, I'd try to keep him here happy even more!

That would be my approach.

mc_lovin

Can we stop this Klopp train? Yeah, hes impressive, but he has this underdog mentality. Barcelona should be the opposite (just like Bayern, Real..). Just get a sophisticated coach with clear ideas and an attacking mindset.

FC B

Such an underdog mentality that he never lost a tie in four years at Liverpool and made two consecutive CL finals while Barca got mauled two years in a row 3-0 and 4-0 after having 4-1 and 3-0, get serious or GTFO.

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

Klopp isn't coming anyway. Not really worth discussion.
The Griezmann rumours suggest that we aren't really interested in any sort of rebuild, or even having any kind of sport project where we get pieces that fits each other.
Hopefully we will be able to retain Liga

snowy

Thing is, we could go Full Youth and still win it all, surrounding Messi with a top squad. Been saying it since Don left, our cocoon squad needs major overhaul. I've always been a fan of Attacking football but something like this would still offer solid defence.

Zaha/Hazard _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Dembele

______________________Messi_______________________

_ _ _ _ Martial/Arthur _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Ziyech/Alena _ _ _ _ _ _ _

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ de Jong _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

_ _ Lenglet _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Semedo _ _

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ de Ligt _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Todibo _ _ _ _ _ _ _

_______________________MaTs_________________________

Lenglet on the Left could seem crazy but he would actually offer much more defensively than Alba. And as for Alba's offensive contributions, Zaha or Hazard would offer so much more, it's not even a debate. Todibo is still green, but with his super high ceiling and fire, I'd favor him over Umtiti who's deteriorated a lot since his injuries.

With this line-up, I can guarantee Leo would never feel the need to drop back deep. These dudes will serve him goal scoring chances on a golden platter. + they're all alphas, meaning they won't hesitate, specially if instructed to do so, to take their own shots at goal resulting in a much more unpredictable gameplay and further relief/more space for Leo.

Would be suicidal for opposition to surround Leo with a wall with these other guys on the pitch.

But for all this to happen, we need to have an attacking, take-no-prisoners, mindset. Valv out, wolfman Renard in :cool:

edit: for an ultra attacking setup, could keep Arthur in MF and replace Lenglet with Zaha in the back and Martial upfront. These two on the left and Semedo/Demb on the right would stretch the field to the max and exhaust even the fittest of teams. We'd be a threat and blitz from left, right and centre. Damn that would be so cool!

Last edited:

snowy

You don't like him? :confused:

good thing you stopped reading before reaching the Martial + Zaha combi :lol:

Givenchy

You don't like him? :confused:

good thing you stopped reading before reaching the Martial + Zaha combi :lol:

Zaha won't make it at a club like Barca.. he had a big move to United (under Fergie iirc) and flopped pretty much. i think a current Chelsea/Arsenal would be the best step for him next

Martial wont fulfill his potential (which is hugely lower than Mbappe/Dembele anyways)

snowy

Zaha won't make it at a club like Barca.. he had a big move to United (under Fergie iirc) and flopped pretty much. i think a current Chelsea/Arsenal would be the best step for him next

Martial wont fulfill his potential (which is hugely lower than Mbappe/Dembele anyways)

Yeah I think there's been interest by the Spurs, Gunners and the Reds as well but he's absolutely adulated & given total freedom at Crystal and they keep on extending his contracts so chances here, he'll stay. The only reason he might look for a transfer is that he's been keen on competing on the CL stage.

About Man Un., it was a complete letdown by the club. Sir Alex saw huge potential in the 19 year old but unfortunately had to retire and Zaha was only given a few min. here and there by idiot Moyes and fathead Van Gaal. His teammate at the time, Rio F said, he could take on anyone 1 vs 1, just a shame he wasn't given a chance to do so. And now he's so much mature, stronger and experienced.

This article sums it up pretty well -->

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2358765-wilfried-zaha-how-manchester-united-failed-the-12-million-england-star

Anyways, he'd never come to Barca. Board just doesn't have the vision and with Valv as a coach, it would just end up being a wasted transfer.

Besides, they treat him like a semi-god at Selhurst. Would make sense for him to stay.

Martial, haven't seen him enough tbh. He does seem fast and the type of player who'd at least be able to get the ball to Messi. Watching that VIP footage of Leo not receiving any ball in the Liv match was rough.

LABarcaFan

Obviously, there are no great talent coming from the Barca youth and the "B" team. So, to be competitive in the CL, we need to look for help elsewhere. There are two names, circulating in the media these days - Matthijs de Ligt and Antoine Griezmann. The first one has not decided yet where he should continue his career - Barcelona or Liverpool. With Pique and Lenglet as a starters he can't see himself playing too many games. In Liverpool, he can team up with Virgil van Dijk as a starting central defenders. Which way he will go, no one knows yet. As for Griezmann, I think it will be huge mistake. In no way, he deserves 120 mil. euro contract. I can't imagine Barca's management doing the same mistake as they did few years ago with Neymar. That was a gambling that cost them millions of euros. Instead of Griezmann, they can sign some younger, 23 - 25 y.o. players with better stats and a lot cheaper. So be very careful what you wish for Barca fans.

Home of Barca Fans