Our XI for 2019/20

Andresito

Staff member
So what exactly do you suggest? Leaving all amigos around and "enjoying" games like this season? Who do you think we should buy? How many? let me see your thoughts and ideas of rebuilding this team.
[MENTION=22947]mc_lovin[/MENTION] had a lot of good points. Read that.

For signings I'd prioritize:
CM
LW/CF
CB
Lastly if possible LB

Realistically I think we can get the first three.
As for the amigos, we should start getting rid of them 1-2 per season, with changed roles. Piqué is still our best CB and Busi can be a good backup for Frenkie.
Alba won't be sold, Suárez will stay until his contract is out. Vidal and Rakitic should be sold if we can find a CM, otherwise Vidal should stay. It all depends on what players we can get.

There's a difference between realistic scenarios and dream/FIFA 20 scenarios. You won't see me writing "sell Piqué, Alba, Busquets, Vidal, Rakitic, Suárez and buy 10 talented 22-year olds", because it's never going to happen.

LABarcaFan

We are stilll competing for titles, no? Going full talent is a shit way to rebuild. A few high quality signings in the mold of Frenkie each season is the safest way to move forward. Guys like Pedri can always be found (on current level). No need to depend on players who are not ready just for the sake of it.

And I personally wouldnt be too harsh on our club de amigos: Pique, Busquets, Suarez and Messi all performed well last season (wont judge this season). Anfield (for me) was more down to our incompetent board (Dembele, Coutinho, Valverde), failing in clutch moments and the more "disposable" amigos (Alba, Rakitic).

We did well enough to find replacements in midfield, if we nail the Suarez replacement we are in a decent position to win titles. Thats why I really dont understand people, who would sacrifice 3 years for basically nothing (or uncertainty).

1. Pique, Busy, Suarez and Messi performed well last season?
You are probably watching different games. Maybe ones from Pep's era. I don't need to comment anything else.

2. We did enough to find replacements in midfield?
And who exactly we did find in that zone? FDJ, yes. He is a talented young player who same as A.Melo is struggling to show his true qualities. They are both CM's without any defensive skills.
The addition of the Mochicane A.Vidal was one of the many wrong signings our board did in the last 4-5 years.
Obviously, you are very confident in these additions in the midfield .

3. If we nail Suarez replacement we are in decent position to win titles.
A.Griezmann was signed originally to be that person, but he is struggling big time since his arrival. Till these days, the Frenchman still has not find his place in our attacking line. And we have pad 120 M for him.
M.Braithwaite was brought in in a emergency situation. Do you think he can replace L.Suarez? The only option the board is considering as of lately, that is Lautaro and I am not against that, but his price tag is
very high. 110 M. to be exact. If we pay that much money for one player, we won't have enough resources to address all our other needs.
I respect others opinions, but can not disagree more with your post. Sorry.

[MENTION=22947]mc_lovin[/MENTION] had a lot of good points. Read that.

I don't need to read anything. When I read, I know where to look at. His "good" points may be good for you, but not for me.

For signings I'd prioritize:
CM
LW/CF
CB
Lastly if possible LB

Realistically I think we can get the first three.
As for the amigos, we should start getting rid of them 1-2 per season, with changed roles. Piqué is still our best CB and Busi can be a good backup for Frenkie.
Alba won't be sold, Suárez will stay until his contract is out. Vidal and Rakitic should be sold if we can find a CM, otherwise Vidal should stay. It all depends on what players we can get.

There's a difference between realistic scenarios and dream/FIFA 20 scenarios. You won't see me writing "sell Piqué, Alba, Busquets, Vidal, Rakitic, Suárez and buy 10 talented 22-year olds", because it's never going to happen.

Of course it's never going to happen. With this board, I don't expect anything good.
When I mentioned the names of the amigos, I were perfectly aware that we can not sale them all. They are too old and already washed out. If we are talking about realistic scenarios, here is what I think:

Pique - Simply should retire or move to the MLS team.

Alba - Yes. He can stay for one more season but not as a starter. If we sign Alex Telles this summer, Jordi can be his back-up.

Busqets - If we can not find any better CM, then he can stay as a sub.

A.Vidal - He has to be sold 100% and there are some teams in Italy that wants him.

L.Suarez - I know that many Barca fans want him gone by the end of the season, but I think that for all his contribution to this team, he deserve to fulfill his contract and move to the MLS next summer.

Leo Messi - He deserve to play as long as he wants and can because he is a legend.

Now. You are mentioning about 4-5 new players, but CB, CM and LW/CF as most realistic. OK, but as always, you don't mention any names. And that is important, becase from player to player there is big difference in the price tag. If we sign D.Upamecano or someone from his caliber, they will cost 100 + million. On the left back we can have Alex Telles from Porto for 40 M. Central midfielder! I don't know who do you have in mind and for what price so I will just skip it. At CF/LW if we sign Lautaro, that will cost us another 110 M. So far, for 3 players we have to pay 250-260 millions. OK?
How are you going to get this money is my question?

Rakitic current value is 25 M, but I doubt someone will be willing to pay that much money for 30+ y.o. veteran.
A.Vidal can be sold to Inter for 14 M. and that is the maximum we can get.
Coutinho was loaned to Bayern for 8.5 M. and if Abramovich is still adamant to sign him this summer, we can get not more than 30 M. So the total comes down to 69M max. Where do you get the rest of the money to buy 3 new players?
That is why I proposed the rebuild with more new players who's price tag is between 25 - 40 million. Not more. And that is absolutely realistic to me.

Andresito

Staff member
Now. You are mentioning about 4-5 new players, but CB, CM and LW/CF as most realistic. OK, but as always, you don't mention any names. And that is important, becase from player to player there is big difference in the price tag. If we sign D.Upamecano or someone from his caliber, they will cost 100 + million. On the left back we can have Alex Telles from Porto for 40 M. Central midfielder! I don't know who do you have in mind and for what price so I will just skip it. At CF/LW if we sign Lautaro, that will cost us another 110 M. So far, for 3 players we have to pay 250-260 millions. OK?
How are you going to get this money is my question?

Sigh. Upamecano has a 60M clause (which has been mentioned to you before), even though he's been discarded if we are to believe the reports.
Thomas, for example, is available for 50M.
As I've said before, Lautaro shouldn't be signed for 111M, he's not worth that amount.

We can easily sell players for at least 150M.

That is why I proposed the rebuild with more new players who's price tag is between 25 - 40 million. Not more. And that is absolutely realistic to me.
You suggested we buy Upamecano, Koulibaly (for LB :lol:), Sané, Sancho and Lautaro.

From that you went to extremely mediocre players like de Vrij, Romagnoli, Digne, Matheus (who hasn't played a single minute lol) and Depay. With Malen and Trincão who's had like 4 months of good football in their careers.

The reason for me not listing 10 names is because I simply don't watch enough football to be certain that they would be the right fit. Kind of the opposite of you listing players with OK stats in shitty leagues and players who are good in FM.

Catta

Our XI for next season

GK: Ter stegen, Neto

RB: Emerson, Semedo
CB: Upamecano, Pique, Todibo, 4thCB
LB: Alba, Cucurella

DM/CM: De Jong, Thomas, Arthur, Roberto

AM: Messi

RW: Dembele, Willian
LW: Aubameyang, Fati

ST: Suarez, Malen

We would need to play a 4-2-3-1 because of Messi, but I think that could work if all the players around him do a lot off the ball.

Sell Rakitic, Vidal, Umtiti, Lenglet, Firpo, Braithwaite, Alena, Griezmann, Coutinho and release Busquets. Loan Trincao or keep him if we can sell Dembele.

LABarcaFan

Sigh. Upamecano has a 60M clause (which has been mentioned to you before), even though he's been discarded if we are to believe the reports.
Thomas, for example, is available for 50M.
As I've said before, Lautaro shouldn't be signed for 111M, he's not worth that amount.

We can easily sell players for at least 150M.

You suggested we buy Upamecano, Koulibaly (for LB :lol:), Sané, Sancho and Lautaro.

From that you went to extremely mediocre players like de Vrij, Romagnoli, Digne, Matheus (who hasn't played a single minute lol) and Depay. With Malen and Trincão who's had like 4 months of good football in their careers.

The reason for me not listing 10 names is because I simply don't watch enough football to be certain that they would be the right fit. Kind of the opposite of you listing players with OK stats in shitty leagues and players who are good in FM.

No matter what you and I say here, nothing will change until 2021. This board is not capable to do anything to bring the team back to his place in Europe. I am sure Setien will stay and nothing will change much.

LABarcaFan

Any scenario of signing new players will depend on how many players we'll be able to sell/loan this summer. We have to start from the most expensive ones like Griezmann, Coutinho and Dembele.

There are new reports that Manch. Utd are going to sell A.Sanches and they are interested in A.Griezmann. His current salary is 120 M, but we can ask for 100 M, just to make the deal go through.
It is also very possible that we send Dembele ( 90 M ) and Vidal (14 M ) to Inter for Lautaro ( 100-110 M.)
S.Umtiti can bring us about 40 M.
Coutinho can be loaned to Chelsea ( 10 M) with option to buy next season.
Rakitic most likely destination is AC Milan, if the deal of the new ownership gets finished next month. ( 20 M )
Alena also can be sold for 20 M.
Neto - 18 M
J.Firpo - 14 M.
That can bring back around 320 M Euro. Assuming the swap with Inter for Lautaro has worked, all we will need is to buy 2 more players for our back-court. Dayot Upamecano ( 60 M ) and Grimaldo ( 40 M ) are the most likely signings. We can afford to pay for these three new players ONLY if have already sold our own players .

N.SEMEDO ........ D.UPAMECANO ......... J.C.TODIBO .......... A.GRIMALDO
S.Roberto................... R.Araujo ....................... C.Lenglet......................... J.Alba..........

.............................. F. de JONG..................................... A. MELO............................
............................... M. Fernandes ....................................... R. Puig...................................

FR. TRINCAO ................................. LEO MESSI .......................... M.BRAITWAITE .
.....Alex Collado .................................... M.Pereira ...................................... Ansu Fati .....

......................................................... L. MARTINEZ ....................................................
......................................................... Luis Suarez ..........................................................

Last edited:

LABarcaFan

The above system format is 4 - 2 - 3 - 1 which is very modern in Europe lately. But, if Setien wants to keep the traditional Barcelona 4 - 3 - 3, then there has to be some changes in the line-up.

Griezmann value is 120 M, but I am going to sell him to Manch. Utd. for 100 M.

Dembele value is 110 M, we can sell him for 90 M

Umtiti is still 25 so we keep his sale price - 40 M

Rakitic value is 25, we can sale him to AC Milan for 20 M

Vidal value is 22 M but Inter is offering 14 M. We can make that deal ASAP.

So from 5 players we can generate 264 M. and start shopping.

Our main needs are at the back court and up front. I think, with the money we can generate from sales, we can buy Timo Werner, which value was last updated on Mar 20/ 2020 and it went up from 60 M to 80 M. Still relatively fair price for the best striker in Europe. The next big name in the market this summer will be Dayot Upamecano. We can buy the second best CB for around 60 M or little over. Alejandro (Alex) Grimaldo is a solid LB and we can have him, or the Portuguese Alex Telles for the same amount - 40 M. And lastly, we can buy Benfica's CF/LW Carlos Vinicius for just 20 M, which is his market value as of Mar. 20/2020. We can even afford to buy one defensive midfielder if it is needed. And this is how it can look the 4 - 3 - 3 formation:

Ter Stegen

Semedo - Upamecano - Lenglet/Todibo - Grimaldo/Telles

F. de Jong - Leo Messi - A. Melo/other

Fr. Trincao - T.Werner - C.Vinicius

Last edited:

Messi983

What if it doesn't? We can't put all eggs into one basket. Could well end up like Man United, 0 league titles in 7 years, watching the fiercest rivals win year after year.
Has there been examples of clubs rebuilding their squads entirely and coming out successful?

Well, our current strategy (buying 100m+ players) clearly didn't bring us much success so why not try something new?

I admit I was going a bit too much into a rebuilding mode and I don't expect this to happen (as I've said in the past a 3-year rebuild is much more realistic) but I was serious about two things.

1. we won't win much anymore with this old core where only Messi is still performing at the required level (and it's questionable how long he'll be able to do that) and we'll eventually need to replace them so doing it sooner rather than later makes sense.

2. I prefer improving CB and DM/CM positions this summer above bringing another 100m forward. That's why I've "targeted" Upamecano and Camavinga who we can probably get for a combined price of one Lautaro and they could be our key players in defense/midfield for a long time (or we could sell them for a very good money if they'll flop because a lot of clubs would still believe in their longterm success). But there are rumours we find Camavinga too expensive (because we need money for Lautaro and Neymar) and then in the end we'll probably end up with a worse player like Ndombele who would cost about the same or even more. Or overpay for Fabian (whom I've liked for years but not for his current price tag).

I know my lineup is unrealistic at the upfront 4 positions but I believe Fati, Trincao and Pedri have a future at the club and they deserve their fair chance which they won't get as long as oldies are here and need to play. The other Luis Suarez is not proven on a top level but I like his profile. We could also get someone like Jonathan David (MD mentioned him yesterday as one of potential targets) instead for around 30m but just don't spend another 100m on a forward please. I like Lautaro but don't think he's a "can't miss" talent and worth to spend that much money on. I'd prefer to wait another season for Haaland.

I'd give a try to that defense (we could improve at LB but there are not exactly many great options available and I've liked Firpo enough at Betis to give him a full season as a starter under his former coach) and FDJ-Camavinga as DMs though. I think they could complement each other well.

We are stilll competing for titles, no?

Messi is the one keeping us in competition and winning domestic titles. None of the other members of club de amigos is at the required level anymore so why keep them with a false hope we're still competing for titles and another 100m signing will help us more in that regard than doing what we should've done 2 or 3 years ago already.

And I personally wouldnt be too harsh on our club de amigos: Pique, Busquets, Suarez and Messi all performed well last season (wont judge this season). Anfield (for me) was more down to our incompetent board (Dembele, Coutinho, Valverde), failing in clutch moments and the more "disposable" amigos (Alba, Rakitic).

I don't really care about Anfield and I don't give as much importance to the CL as most people. But those players were mostly mental midgets in the CL for years with one exception (treble season). Since 2011 we've had problems scoring in away CL games in 1/4 or 1/2 finals when we were eliminated.

2011/12. SF Chelsea (0-1)
2012/13: SF Bayern A (0-4)
2013/14: QF AM A (0-1)
2015/16: QF AM (0-2)
2016/17: QF Juve A (0-3); we've also lost 4-0 in Paris in the last 16 Round before that famous remuntada
2017/18: QF Roma A (0-3)
2018/19: SF Liverpool A (0-4)

So as much importance as people put on those last two losses our problems existed way before and we can't blame EV, Coutinho or Dembele for them because they were not here all that time. But certain players like Alba, Pique, Busi and Messi were. Sure we can analise every single game and we were unlucky in some of them and we can certainly put the blame on coaches (we've had 5 different in that time - Pep, Tito, Tata, Lucho and EV) but not scoring a single goal in 7 deciding away games (knowing how important away goals are) in 8 years it's a much deeper problem we can't excuse with bad tactics, lack of luck,... It's psychological at this point imo and it's a big question if any coach in the world can still get more of of these players. I don't believe so and besides Messi there is not one of those other players who would deserve to get a 8th or 9th chance to show they have learned something from all of their previous mistakes. That's why I'd try to push those players out of the club but realistically I know this won't happen until their contracts expires.

We did well enough to find replacements in midfield, if we nail the Suarez replacement we are in a decent position to win titles. Thats why I really dont understand people, who would sacrifice 3 years for basically nothing (or uncertainty).

Sure, we have replacements (well, I'd say a replacement (FDJ) since I still don't consider Arthur as a sure-fire starter longterm because of his physical limitations) in midfield but what does that help us if we must play FDJ out of his best position to accomodate Busi into the lineup?

And I'm affraid the same will happen with Lautaro and he'll have to be played on the wings as long as Suarez is here. And since he has that clause which can extend his contract for another season if he plays 60% of games next season he could easily be here for two more years if he decides so. We won't throw him out of the club to not upset Messi and if he'll play regularly he also won't have any reason to leave. And I'm pretty sure in two years playing out of position Lautaro will be considered another 100m+ flop.

Last edited:

Andresito

Staff member
@Messi983

It doesn't have to be this or that. 100M buys should still be done, if the player is right. I don't believe Neymar and Lautaro are right for that price though.

Camavinga is a huge risk. 1 good season for a price that'd be more reasonable for a player with a bit more maturity. Just look at how Renato Sanches turned out. Bayern actually sold lost money despite him being 22 y/o with room to grow.

Camavinga would've been perfect in 2015. A young talent who'll have time to grow into his role while learning from the best, not throw him in with Arthur and Frenkie who's been here for like 2 years combined and hope for the best.

I think the majority think that the Amigos should be disbanded. But IMO it'll have to be done gradually (should've started earlier but it is what it is). Pique, Alba and Busi can still play a part. Not as undisputed starters as they've been, but as rotational players and starting only when in form. Suarez is probably done, I don't think he'll ever shake of the rustiness that he'll show after the recent injury.

Messi983

It doesn't have to be this or that. 100M buys should still be done, if the player is right. I don't believe Neymar and Lautaro are right for that price though.

There is no player who I'd pay 100m right now. Haaland is probably the only one but we can get him for less next year.

We should be smarter on the market with the club possibly losing up to 100m this season and probably also tens of milliions over the next few years because of coronavirus.

Camavinga is a huge risk. 1 good season for a price that'd be more reasonable for a player with a bit more maturity. Just look at how Renato Sanches turned out. Bayern actually sold lost money despite him being 22 y/o with room to grow.

I know he's a risk but Lautaro is even bigger one for twice the price. I just think we need a strong DM/CM a lot more than another 100m forward and I believe Camavinga's upside is well worth the risk.

Camavinga would've been perfect in 2015. A young talent who'll have time to grow into his role while learning from the best, not throw him in with Arthur and Frenkie who's been here for like 2 years combined and hope for the best.

FDJ is young but quite experienced already. As I've said I don't expect us to win much over the next 2-3 years anyway so they'd have time to grow together with the rest of the team.

Pique, Alba and Busi can still play a part. Not as undisputed starters as they've been, but as rotational players and starting only when in form.

Sure but do you see anyone of them accepting a new role after being undisputed starters for a decade? I don't. That's why they should all leave if we want to move forward.

We've bought FDJ as Busi's replacement and now he needs to play as a CM. I think Pique could actually decide to retire in a year or two to concentrate on other things he's interested in but he'll be a starter until then. So just get a fast and athletic CB like Upamecano to pair him with instead of a slower Lenglet or injury prone Umtiti. Then hopefully once Pique is gone Todibo can step in for him. Alba is a lost case. We won't get rid of him before 2024. He'll probably be the last man standing in our club de amigos. Really hope to be wrong though.

LABarcaFan

There is no player who I'd pay 100m right now. Haaland is probably the only one but we can get him for less next year.

We should be smarter on the market with the club possibly losing up to 100m this season and probably also tens of milliions over the next few years because of coronavirus.

I know he's a risk but Lautaro is even bigger one for twice the price. I just think we need a strong DM/CM a lot more than another 100m forward and I believe Camavinga's upside is well worth the risk.

FDJ is young but quite experienced already. As I've said I don't expect us to win much over the next 2-3 years anyway so they'd have time to grow together with the rest of the team.

Sure but do you see anyone of them accepting a new role after being undisputed starters for a decade? I don't. That's why they should all leave if we want to move forward.

We've bought FDJ as Busi's replacement and now he needs to play as a CM. I think Pique could actually decide to retire in a year or two to concentrate on other things he's interested in but he'll be a starter until then. So just get a fast and athletic CB like Upamecano to pair him with instead of a slower Lenglet or injury prone Umtiti. Then hopefully once Pique is gone Todibo can step in for him. Alba is a lost case. We won't get rid of him before 2024. He'll probably be the last man standing in our club de amigos. Really hope to be wrong though.

Exactly. We bought FDJ as Busy's replacement, but what happened ? Mediocre coaches like Valverde and Setien like to play their old veterans, instead of someone like Frenkie. But I have wrote it many times. In a 4-2-3-1 system, in front of our guards we can have FDJ and Melo as a CM's with more defensive duties, because in front of them and just behind the striker Don Leo will operating as a attaching midfielder. That is the best suitable system for the players we have at the moment.

I hope this current resigning of already 6 directors may lead to immediate new election this summer. With new president and board we will have better chances to find the right manager for out team. And once that happen, our Club de Amigos will go to the history.And if Leo try to sabotage that process, he can go to the bench as well.

LABarcaFan

To me, the best scenario for this summer will be to address our needs in the back-court and the midfield. Assuming that Pique and Alba will still be the starters, we have to look for one new CB and one DM. The best option for center back is Upamecano, but in case he choose to move to Bayern, we have to have other options as well:

CB Ibrahima Konate (21) Leipzig - 40 M.
CB Ruben Dias ( 22 ) Benfica - 30 M.
CB Lucas Klostermann (23) Leipzig - 28 M.

DM Wilfred Ndidi (23) Leicester - 38 M
DM Boubakary Soumare (21) Lille - 24 M
Lucas Tousart (23) Lyon - 16 M

Messi983

Tousart has already signed for Hertha Berlin.

Also, transfer fees for other players you've mentioned will be much higher than their market values. And I think Konate will be unavailable. RBL will already sell Upamecano so they won't want to lose another CB. Konate is still under contract for 3 more years. Klostermann's contract is up in 2021 but wouldn't surprise me if they would renew him.

LABarcaFan

Tousart has already signed for Hertha Berlin.

Also, transfer fees for other players you've mentioned will be much higher than their market values. And I think Konate will be unavailable. RBL will already sell Upamecano so they won't want to lose another CB. Konate is still under contract for 3 more years. Klostermann's contract is up in 2021 but wouldn't surprise me if they would renew him.

I didn't know about Tousart. Thanks for the info.
The transfer fees of the other players are not that much higher as you think. Actually, they are very reasonable.

RB Leipzig currently has 6 CB's under contract: Upamecano, Willi Orban, Ibr. Konate, Lucas Klosterman ( who was a RB in Bohum and since he moved to Leipzig has excelled as a CB in numerous occasions, when Konate was injured ), Marcel Halstenberg ( who is listed as a LB but same as Klosterman has played relatively well at the CB position ) and Frederik Jakel, who is Germany U19' s CB.

Leipzig obviously does not pay much attention on wining the Bundesliga, if they are even considering to sale one or two of their best players - Klostermann, Konate, Upamecano and T.Werner to their rivals from Bavaria. So even if they sell both Konate and Upamecano, they will still have as a CB's Klosterman and Orban as a starters with Halstenberg as their sub, because Angelino is now their starter at LB.

About the transfer fees, the latest news for Upamecano's release clause is 60 m.

"Le10Sprt" report Manchester Utd. has called Konate's agent to talk about the possibility of his client to move to Old Trafford. The Frenchman has struggled with injury but is still worth a reported 45 m."

"SkySport" (via SPORT) L.Klostermann: 35 millions would be enough to buy Lucas away from Die Rotten Bullen and there is no reason to believe Barcelona wouldn't stump up the cash.

So what all that means? With the money for Lautaro we can buy Konate and Klostermann and still have another 30 m. for quality player at the midfield.

Home of Barca Fans