Differences between leagues

stb_1

10 years ago you would characterise the Premier League as a long ball league with very little technical ability, nowadays with Pep, Klopp, Sarri, Emery and Poch , the top teams at least are all comfortable playing a possession based game.

How would you characterise the differences between each leagues now or do you think they are all closely resembling eachother now? La Liga + Bundesliga seems very possession based right now.

Howlgrana

Premier League is changing slowly for the better. I watched highlights of Everton, under Marco Silva, tear apart Man Utd last night. Everton used to be synonymous with the Premier League airball style but they've changed for the better. The EPL is still light years behind La Liga in terms of technique and skill though. The biggest, fastest and most physically mature youngsters will always get fast-tracked into the first team ahead of smaller players that are more technically gifted. Every second sentence of the dinosaur pundits seems to include 'pace'. I find that funny, not speed but 'pace'. It seems to have been adopted widely alongside the formation of the EPL!

Another problem with English football is a sort of low intelligence machismo that pervades across pundits, ex-players and most of the fans when it comes to football culture. This idea that a game of football is more like a fight than a game of skill. So football headlines are full of fighting/war-related words like 'battle', 'survival', 'battered', 'turned over', torn apart' etc etc. This is the only major league where a strong tackle will be applauded more than a piece of skill! I think that is utterly insane and mind boggling! And another one; a dive is seen as more heinous by many here than a tackle that leads to a broken leg. Equally dumb-founding. And it's true. I studied Sports Journalism many years ago, achieving a 1:1 First BA Hons and I wrote a thesis partly connected to this so I have done some research on this.

Last edited:

Pepe Silvia

I like watching EPL games as much as La Liga.. Bundesliga too. The crowds are so awesome and the football is good too. I'm not an EPL or La Liga snob. I guess it's because I didn't grow up in any culture surrounding any league so for me I like it all.

FCBfan22

IMO almost all big leagues evolved with time. Except Serie A. And that shows in the results in Europe (with the exception of Juventus).

Home of Barca Fans