Champions League Semi Final: Liverpool - FC Barcelona 4-3 agg.

Sorin

The game will be decided by the midfield imo. If our midfielders can hide the ball for large stretches of the game then even the most fit players will have trouble with their stamina and decision making when in possession of it. And from there Messi can exploit the mistakes if his decision making is at its best.

Then Alba and Semedo/Bob have the most important roles. If they can pin back their fullbacks, Pool's counters will lose potency.

Joan

That is exaclty why Valverde should go play attacking football al the game at Camp Nou since that is much harder to do on Anfield.
A middle ground should be found. Liverpool plays some of the best counters in the world + a very solid team defensively.

Playing a typical possession game around their box might not the best idea, especially not with a high defensive line. I can imagine sterile, naive Barca conceding a few.

If they score first, it'll get much more complicated.

soul24rage

I expect the 1st leg to be similar to the game Man City won 2-1 vs Liverpool back in January.

Man City to dominate possession while Liverpool be conservative. I'm incredibly nervous of this game and be more so if they score first.

serghei

The game will be decided by the midfield imo. If our midfielders can hide the ball for large stretches of the game then even the most fit players will have trouble with their stamina and decision making when in possession of it. And from there Messi can exploit the mistakes if his decision making is at its best.

Then Alba and Semedo/Bob have the most important roles. If they can pin back their fullbacks, Pool's counters will lose potency.

Bingo. This should be the game of Arthur. Maybe then people can see how important good ball circulation is. Don't mind long possession periods even if it is sterile most of the time. We don't need crap volume chances. Just 4-5 great ones and above 50% conversion rate. We need to recycle possession until we find the right pass. This will frustrate them I feel.

We need similar approach from Juve - Atletico. Valverde can do it.

Last edited:

Sorin

Bingo. This should be the game of Arthur. Maybe then people can see how important good ball circulation is. Don't mind long possession periods even if it is sterile most of the time. We don't need crap volume chances. Just 4-5 great ones and above 50% conversion rate. We need to recycle possession until we find the right pass. This will frustrate them I feel.

We need similar approach from Juve - Atletico. Valverde can do it.

Agreed, this is the game where Arthur can finally validate his place in the top 5 midfielders in the world. However Busi and Rakitic should pitch in almost just as much since if they'll stand still ball watching, we'll find it hard to bypass their press.

What I also wouldn't mind it if we start with Bob in the role of RW with Messi in the middle and Suarez slightly to the left. I feel like Mane's flank is the most dangerous atm since he is in such a great form and Bob can help Semedo shut down their right side. Not to mention that some of the best performances from Bob have come from playing in that position: 4-0 against RM comes to mind and I remember he also shined in a more recent match in that position but I can't really pinpoint it right now.

Neymessi

We are rather good at managing 1-0 leads.

Now that I think about it, you are right. We are pretty comfortable after 1-0 and don't remember us blowing a lot of 1-0 leads.

The 3-1 classico in 2014 comes to mind as an aberration.

Jaguar

Flair Trait
I dont know who will start against liverpool but neither coutinho or dembele is convincing atm. Both will struggle very much against liverpool if they dont improve their game. I think we should go with coutinho because he is doing a bit better atm and doesnt loose the ball as much as dembele which could give liverpool more chances for a counter. If this doesnt work sub off coutinho and put dembele in as soon as possible.

Agreed. Coutinho should play 70 - 75 minutes then sub Dembele on who will be the most dangerous he can be at this point full of energy while Liverpool having used quite a lot.

Some observations of our next opponent:
- Alisson Becker and Virgil Van Dijk excell in the distribution from the back, especially with a long-range passing accuracy.
- Joe Gomez is a fast ball-player defender but he actually lacks match fitness, just returning from injury. Joel Matip is playing consistently these recent weeks, has a "proactive" style of play; it's not rare to see him run forward with and without the ball to break the opponent's midfield, he usually takes risks that way.
- Liverpool's main weakness is a lack of creativity and talent in midfield (observed in possession game). They compensate that by relying too much on crosses from both sides, and on the attacking prowess of the front three strikers.
- The fullback Alexander Trent Arnold is good in attack, but seems not that good in defence.
- Klopp's Liverpool has turned from a team who is obsessed with heavy intense pressing (the last season) to a team who looks more to control the game and enjoy playing possession (the actual season). "Keeping possession is another way of defending".

Last edited:

ATLBarcaFan

I think Vidal should play over Rakitic, he's faster, better defensively, gives 100% and always shows up in biggest games.

My concern with Vidal is that he occasionally gives the ball away in bad spots for us. With Liverpool's pressing, this could easily lead to a good scoring opportunity

Tekkers

My concern with Vidal is that he occasionally gives the ball away in bad spots for us. With Liverpool's pressing, this could easily lead to a good scoring opportunity

Have you seen Rakitic when he's pressed? Probably the worst Barca midfielder in those situations. At least Vidal prevents the midfield from being overrun

Tekkers

Dembele should start not Coutinho. When Messi's neutralized because the entire middle is completely engulfed and Coutinho offers no width, the same posters asking for Coutinho to start will be calling for Valverde's head

Messi10

Firmino out with a groin injury!!!! booom

Grade 1 strains will take 1 to 2 weeks of rest before a person can return to exercise. Normal movement, such as walking, should be possible within a few days. Grade 2 strains may take 3 to 6 weeks to heal fully. Grade 3 strains happen when most or all of the muscle is torn.

Leo_98cro

Well we are Barca and we shouldnt be happy when our opponnets best players pick up injuries...Carma can be a real bitch

Home of Barca Fans