Champions League Semi Final: Liverpool - FC Barcelona 4-3 agg.

PhilS

Instead of obsessing about Coutinho vs. Dembele, Arthur vs. Vidal, and Roberto vs. Semedo, I feel good that such quality depth is available. I think they all will get at least 60 minutes over the two games, the fresh legs could be decisive.

serghei

Imo, if Liverpool are too conservative on Camp Nou this is playing right into Barca's and Valverde's hands.

Neymessi

Nope.

They play conservative. They don't play high defensive pressing lines or have the their midfield aggressively pressing like they do at Ainfield.

Check the stats:

http://www.espn.com/soccer/matchstats?gameId=526432

http://www.espn.com/soccer/matchstats?gameId=526482

They played conservative when up against decent opposition, hence why their opposition created so many more chances at home than Liverpool.

#STATSDONTLIEDAWG

:lol::lol::lol:

Did you even see what links you posted? It is just a bloody match summary.

serghei

For me, it’s imperative we go to Anfield with a multiple-goal lead. I think they will beat us at Anfield considering our away form. Basically, we need a repeat of Bayern ‘15: multiple goals with a clean sheet for the first leg and lose the 2nd leg by a goal but while grabbing an away goal or two.

I expect Klopp to play more conservative first leg and open the floodgates the 2nd leg so I say 4-3-3 with Dembele for the first leg and then the 4-4-2 with Coutinho in the second leg

I think we will control the MF battle, so it’s all about their defense. I don’t fancy TAA and Robertson (defensively) vs Dembele and Messi, and an open game will expose all of this. Basically, they need 2 miraculous defensively displays from Virgil and Alisson and hope they score early in the first leg. That’s the only chance I see for them, otherwise I think they will make it nervy for us but we have better individual quality across the field that will see us through. Defensively, the only player who scares me is Mane against Roberto/Semedo. That’s a good match-up for them but otherwise, I think we can handle Salah and Bobby comfortably. Jordi is just as quick as Salah and Pique can handle Bobby.

Between that and how well EV has drilled us in counter-pressing and mitigating space for teams to counter us, it’s just going to be hard for Liverpool to have enough dangerous opportunities to hurt us. Like I said, it’ll be nervy at times I’m sure but I think between the slightly higher quality of our squad and :messi:, it’s just going to be too much. They really froze up against Real last year, Real were able to control a lot of that match and I have a feeling these games will go similarly.

I think it is time we deal with the discrepancy between our home and away form. We will have to play well on Anfield no doubt. Don't see us going through by playing crap away.

It is unlikely we will win the tie on Camp Nou. It's not like we will hammer them 3 or 4-0. To go through we will have to do our share of suffering in England a bit like Chelsea 2009 style. We can do it. We just need to believe it and give everything we've got, hold nothing back.

It is interesting that in the last 4 CL winning campaigns, 75% of the time we have obtained better results away from home in the semis than on Camp Nou. Only in 2015 we won the tie based on our Camp Nou form. Vs Milan, Chelsea and Madrid we were very sharp away. Winning 2 and drawing the other. So it is not a given that we will bend on Anfield.

Last edited:

Devils

:lol::lol::lol:

Did you even see what links you posted? It is just a bloody match summary.

Derp.

An aggressive, pressing attacking team reliant on world class front three only manages 1 shot on target total in two away games? (Naples and Paris).

If you had watched their games you would know that they were far away from playing the aggressive, pressing attack minded team they are at Ainfield. But you don't, so there isn't much point in arguing with someone who clearly doesn't know what they are talking about.

DAWG.

Neymessi

Derp.

An aggressive, pressing attacking team reliant on world class front three only manages 1 shot on target total in two away games? (Naples and Paris).

If you had watched their games you would know that they were far away from playing the aggressive, pressing attack minded team they are at Ainfield. But you don't, so there isn't much point in arguing with someone who clearly doesn't know what they are talking about.

DAWG.

If pressing guaranteed shots on target everyone would be doing it. You can press and still not get results if you keep pressing and chasing shadows.

Maybe Liverpool did not press but your argument is horrible.

clemente

I think Vidal should play over Rakitic, he's faster, better defensively, gives 100% and always shows up in biggest games.

Devils

If pressing guaranteed shots on target everyone would be doing it. You can press and still not get results if you keep pressing and chasing shadows.

Maybe Liverpool did not press but your argument is horrible.

No they wouldn't. Lmao.

You must have missed the part where I said an attacking team reliant on a world class front three.

IF YOU WATCHED THE PSG NAPOLI GAMES YOU WOULD OF SEEN THAT THEY WERE VERY CONSERVATIVE AND LET PSG AND NAPOLI PLAY THEIR GAME. THEY WEREN'T THE AGGRESSIVE PRESSING SIDE THEY ARE AT AINFIELD. THEY WERE CONSERVATIVE.

^
Unless you can counter that point without some imaginary DELUSIONAL STATEMENTS, you cannot counter my argument that is PROOF-BASED.

Also in the league this season, they employed this approach. Hence why their league form is so much better than last season. Klopp has played much more conservative away from home this season because he realized that the ballistic pressing approach can backfire tremendously, especially away from home.

Teaching you football is like trying to teach a kindergarten student quantum mechanics, DAWG.

Last edited:

cro-man

I dont know who will start against liverpool but neither coutinho or dembele is convincing atm. Both will struggle very much against liverpool if they dont improve their game. I think we should go with coutinho because he is doing a bit better atm and doesnt loose the ball as much as dembele which could give liverpool more chances for a counter. If this doesnt work sub off coutinho and put dembele in as soon as possible.

serghei

I dont know who will start against liverpool but neither coutinho or dembele is convincing atm. Both will struggle very much against liverpool if they dont improve their game. I think we should go with coutinho because he is doing a bit better atm and doesnt loose the ball as much as dembele which could give liverpool more chances for a counter. If this doesnt work sub off coutinho and put dembele in as soon as possible.

Yea. Same issue. Neither is doing too rosey atm but Coutinho has played better in CL than in La Liga. It is noticeable imo.

FC B

Nope.

They play conservative. They don't play high defensive pressing lines or have the their midfield aggressively pressing like they do at Ainfield.

Check the stats:

http://www.espn.com/soccer/matchstats?gameId=526432

http://www.espn.com/soccer/matchstats?gameId=526482

They played conservative when up against decent opposition, hence why their opposition created so many more chances at home than Liverpool.

#STATSDONTLIEDAWG

That is exaclty why Valverde should go play attacking football al the game at Camp Nou since that is much harder to do on Anfield.

serghei

And Barca shouldn't either, it's suicidal and stupid to go play total attacking football at Anfield and conservative football at home.

I feel we would have the most chances if we play balanced and control the midfield with 70% possession. Try to make it a slow game as too much dinamic end to end stuff hurts us. Only way we do that is to not take stupid risks (hence why I wouldn't start Dembele). Move the ball a lot and try to exploit the spaces. Try to find Messi in space. Chances will appear and we need to take them.

Devils

That is exaclty why Valverde should go play attacking football al the game at Camp Nou since that is much harder to do on Anfield.

Yuppp.

We gotta hit them at Camp Nou, but need to nullify their counters at the same time. Arthur and Busi will need to be foot perfect in that regard to stop their counter transitions.

We can't have their midfielders having time to make open or through passes to Mane or Salah because they are so good with their timed runs.

Last edited:

serghei

Remember that a 2-0 like vs Atletico can happen without creating dozens of chances. Possession is key here. Don't try facy passes or low chance dribbles in hot zones.

I think Ernie's cautious and patient style is good for Liverpool in theory. But we must score first. We are rather good at managing 1-0 leads.

Home of Barca Fans