Champions League Semi Final: Liverpool - FC Barcelona 4-3 agg.

jairzinho

Their pressing is really good. However, they can't press like hell for the entire game, Klopp knows that. Most likely they will do it in phases and sometimes sit off and play on the counter. Their front three is really good but their buildup play isn't impressive.

Mats is going to be key aswell to beat the press. If there are no short options then play it long. Busquets fucked up some short passes with the pressure and even got booked trying to recover in OT. There was a couple times where Mats beat the press with some good chipped passes because Coutinho/Messi dropped back in spaces to collect. Thats what he needs to do here.

Dembele needs to start. Makes no sense playing narrow with Cou when klopp will flood the middle to shut out Messi. Dembele with his pace will stretch the pitch and actually he could be an X factor here in this game. Also they are good at being compact and keeping the shape yes Dembele is a must.

I'm not worried about them in open play. They don't have an enganche or regista type player to pick us off. It's going to be Wijnaldum,hendorson, milner, fabinho or wijnaldum,henderson,fabinho or some combinaiton like that. None of them are natural number 8's but they can hassle and run from end to end. But this is a well oiled unit that klopp has here. Nothing fancy in midfield, no artists but lots of running, stamina and good all round pace.

BruceWayne11

We may only need 1 win to lift the CL trophy. We can eliminate Liverpool with 2 draws and then beat Ajax/Spurs in the final. This is what we did against EPL opposition in 2008/09.

In terms of resting. I think that Liverpool may paradoxically be in a better position than we are. They only have two games before the first semi, while we have three. The game Liverpool have to play right before the first semifinal, is against already-relegated Huddersfield (a team around Segunda B level) and will be played on a Friday, whereas we play Levante on Saturday. Sandwiched between the 2 semis, we have to face Celta Vigo and Liverpool have to face Newcastle, both away. I would say that the difficulty level here is more or less similar.

What may give us an advantage, would be if Atleti drop points to either Eibar away or Valencia at home. As things stand, we still need to beat Sociedad & Alaves.

Barca can go through with two draws, but the mentality should be to just win all the remaining CL games in a wise, tactical manner. When it comes to Levante and Celta Vigo, just play the B team against them, so that we get maximum rest. If we win against Sociedad and Alaves with our 1st team, we only need 1 more win in the remaining 4 games to win La Liga(2 of them being with a B team). Should be good enough. Resting for the CL games is paramount.

Demog

I've been looking forward to this for many years, it's been far too long since our two clubs have faced each other again. May the best team win (and I hope it will be Liverpool!)

JedBanker

Im a little unsure of this one. I dont think we have played a team of this quality since our games vs Madrid last season. Its also not only the wingers we have to worry about but their wingbacks put deadly balls into the box. Dembele is going to have to help out Alba alot on the left and im guessing its going to be Rakitic who will have to reinforce the right. Would be nice to also get the old busquets back....just even for this tie.

Slevinn

Yes. I remember everyone in here being terrified of Pep's Bayern, but they did not get a sniff at Camp Nou. They had literally zero chances in that game. That Bayern was far superior to this Liverpool in terms of passing and technique, but this Liverpool has two lethal attacking players in Mane & Salah.

As for Porto, they had openings in both games (way more than United had against us) but their finishing was atrocious (especially Marega's)

4-3 is better than 0-0
To be fair: at 0-0 Lewandowski (or was it Muller? It was a combination between those 2) missed a sitter. Would have been a totally different game if Bayern scored the first goal but thats the bit of luck you need in the CL.

Speaking of scoring first, If Porto scored one of their big chances in the first 10-20 minutes Liverpool would have had a very hard night.

PhilS

Keeping Liverpool off the scoreboard will be tough, they are decisive, fast, and composed on the attack. There's only one team that has better forwards, which fortunately is Barca.

Liverpool is not a scary team except for their forwards. Only good, not great in midfield, defense, goal, bench. I think Barca will go through, on something like a two game score of 5-3. Liverpool will be tougher than the team we beat in the final.

Keeping Liverpool off the scoreboard will be tough, they are decisive, fast, and composed on the attack. There's only one team that has better forwards, which fortunately is Barca.

Liverpool is not a scary team except for their forwards. Only good, not great in midfield, defense, goal, bench. I think Barca will go through, on something like a two game score of 5-3. Liverpool will be tougher than the team we beat in the final.

How are they not good in defense when they are the team least scored against in the big European leagues?
May God have mercy on our soul if Messi is not on fire

Home of Barca Fans