Reinier

Newcomer

Signing very soon for Real Madrid. According to the local media, Barcelona recent concrete interest for him has prompted Real Madrid to trigger the purchase.

mc_lovin

I dont think what Real are doing will work out. They are effectively pitting all the top talents against each other, I would guess it would be much easier for Rodrygo or Vinicius to succeed if the other wasnt around. Chance and circumstances play a big role in developing talents as well, winning the Copa Libertadores did Arthur and Neymar for example a world of good; I dont think you can have the same experience at Real Madrid Castilla or competing on the bench with two other young talents.

If one of those guys works out it would have been a success though. Will be interesting to compare that approach in regards to Fati as well, who should be our go to talent for now.

Newcomer

I dont think what Real are doing will work out. They are effectively pitting all the top talents against each other, I would guess it would be much easier for Rodrygo or Vinicius to succeed if the other wasnt around. Chance and circumstances play a big role in developing talents as well, winning the Copa Libertadores did Arthur and Neymar for example a world of good; I dont think you can have the same experience at Real Madrid Castilla or competing on the bench with two other young talents.

If one of those guys works out it would have been a success though. Will be interesting to compare that approach in regards to Fati as well, who should be our go to talent for now.

Real is running an almost no risk strategy.

They were ready to pay up 180 M€ for Mbappé + an extra 30-ish M tax due to Monaco being a tax heaven. Buying those brazilians for 40 M€ is nothing for them. If they flop, they'll still be able to sell them for 40 M€ to an english club. Bit like Barça is giving away his rejects to Everton. They even made a profit on Morata. And Chelsea managed to con Atletico de Madrid afterwards. If even only one of them is up to his potential, it is the jackpot.

Last edited:

El Gato

Villarato!
They are effectively pitting all the top talents against each other, I would guess it would be much easier for Rodrygo or Vinicius to succeed if the other wasnt around. Chance and circumstances play a big role in developing talents as well, winning the Copa Libertadores did Arthur and Neymar for example a world of good; I dont think you can have the same experience at Real Madrid Castilla or competing on the bench with two other young talents.

There's no way of telling that them being in the club together this season is the original plan.
a) Rodrygo was meant to stay in Castilla this season, but proved to be so damn good he's a permanent member of the team
b) Vinicius was likely meant to be going on loan to get regular playing time, but ACL injury to Asensio meant we were down a role player.

Reinier supposedly one foot in the door according to AS. 6-year deal agreed, 24M to Flamengo, 3M to parents, 3M to agent. Would join Castilla and then loans are likely on cards much like Odegaard.

mc_lovin

Well, point still stands. I dont feel that loaning them out for example is a very good course of action as well, its much harder to shoulder responsibility as a loaned player. Madrid has been quite cabable of finding good teams for the likes of Odegaard and Hakimi though, but generally I feel its not that effective. But as Newcomer said, its probably low risk for Madrid, so whatever.

On bigsoccer a Madrid fan wrote that their approach is a bit soulless and I agree. BUt football is cynical and if it works out for 1 or 2 guys its a job very well done.

Last edited:

El Gato

Villarato!
It is perhaps soulless in the sense that players are forcibly moved in order to be forced to learn to have hope at starting for their parent team, but then again what is 'soulful'? Who is the example of soulful talent management? Ajax and Borussia? Fair enough. But they don't exactly make the move to stop being a selling club so there's no illusions for anyone that goes there - it's a few years of no-pressure for any young guy who want to test themselves in top division football and at the end of this process get the best possible offer once they're 23-27. Liverpool bought Solanke, Ibe and several other players I can't right now remember, let them play for a bit when they were targetless and then binned them. Can't even remember the last time they actually bought an U21 talent and let him feature for longer than a season. Pep seems to be doing relatively OK with this compared to many managers. Chelsea have shifted focus significantly which is good for them and United are actually OK too, just not much talent in the pool. Who did Lucho do this with pre-Valverde?

I always viewed this as good management and part of the growth process. Clubs also have a responsibility of trying to help players' careers. Is it really that good for any Brazillian to stay in Brazil until they're 22 or so? Just because they get to play at a senior level doesn't mean they'll benefit from it if they do have ambitions to succeed in Europe, because the style is so different. How many players are there who moved from South America after 21 and made it in Europe?

There's a lot to consider. I don't think we're doing wrong by any young player so far. Maybe Lunin's loan choices have been shite in retrospect, because coaches don't seem to be open to the idea of starting a 19 year old Ukrainian keeper over a proven 'solid' local one that is guaranteed to be a firmer choice to keep them up in top division. But other than that, I think the policy does defend itself from scrutiny thus far. A lot of it is dependent on young players' immediate surroundings, family, friends, agent.. those are the people that arguably have far more influence in making sure ambitions, effort and happiness are preserved.

Last edited:

mc_lovin

I dont want players to stay in Brazil until they are 22, but Neymar and Arthur for example were cornerstones of their teams before they came to Europe and delivered for us right away. Madrid goes for brazilian talents even before they are well established (see Reinier, who played 19! minutes in their Copa Libertadores campaign), thats my main gripe with their approach.

The question is if there are local talents around, who are just as good. And even then I think its more reasonable to bank on just a few of them. We are betting heavily on Fati and Ilaix for example, who both joined much sooner than Reals brazilian counterparts and look (probably) as good. Having both Rodrygo and Vinicius, even by chance, at the same time in the squad fucks them both over. Playing them in Castilla would be a massive waste as well. Loaning is pure luck as most teams would rather play their own talent.

Madrid tries to skip a few steps and save money. Fair enough, and we will see how that works out for Rodrygo, Vinicius, Kubo and Reinier etc... I would be shocked if more than one succeeds for Madrid.

Last edited:

Newcomer

I dont want players to stay in Brazil until they are 22, but Neymar and Arthur for example were cornerstones of their teams before they came to Europe and delivered for us right away. Madrid goes for brazilian talents even before they are well established (see Reinier, who played 19! minutes in their Copa Libertadores campaign), thats my main gripe with their approach.

The question is if there are local talents around, who are just as good. And even then I think its more reasonable to bank on just a few of them. We are betting heavily on Fati and Ilaix for example, who both joined much sooner than Reals brazilian counterparts and look (probably) as good. Having both Rodrygo and Vinicius, even by chance, at the same time in the squad fucks them both over. Playing them in Castilla would be a massive waste as well. Loaning is pure luck as most teams would rather play their own talent.

Madrid tries to skip a few steps and save money. Fair enough, and we will see how that works out for Rodrygo, Vinicius, Kubo and Reinier etc... I would be shocked if more than one succeeds for Madrid.

I think it is brilliant by Real Madrid.

Odegaard deal was ridiculed just 2 years ago as being bad for the player and Madrid going nowhere with that type of purchase. Now, they can get a player, still very young, with some experience and obvious talent. Even if he doesn't make it at Madrid, they can make an easy profit on him.

Hakimi ? Same thing. They could easily sell him for around 30-40 M if they wanted.

30/45 M€ is outrageous for some 16/17 y.o with almost no senior football, i agree. But in this market, getting those kind of talents for so cheap is a master plan. Pepe got sold 80 M€ to Arsenal this summer. You can see the potential money Real is saving up by doing this. And they will always manage to sell them for enough money to make it worth it. This is an almost no loss strategy.

The only downside is they are allowing resources on not ready made players which can conflict with their immediate success needs. However, Zidane and Real Madrid are doing quite well this season. Messi and co are always favourites for the title in La Liga, even when they had proven superstars like Cristiano Ronaldo. And it makes me a bit mad since i really don't like Real Madrid.

I think it is brilliant by Real Madrid.

Odegaard deal was ridiculed just 2 years ago as being bad for the player and Madrid going nowhere with that type of purchase. Now, they can get a player, still very young, with some experience and obvious talent. Even if he doesn't make it at Madrid, they can make an easy profit on him.

Hakimi ? Same thing. They could easily sell him for around 30-40 M if they wanted.

30/45 M€ is outrageous for some 16/17 y.o with almost no senior football, i agree. But in this market, getting those kind of talents for so cheap is a master plan. Pepe got sold 80 M€ to Arsenal this summer. You can see the potential money Real is saving up by doing this. And they will always manage to sell them for enough money to make it worth it. This is an almost no loss strategy.

The only downside is they are allowing resources on not ready made players which can conflict with their immediate success needs. However, Zidane and Real Madrid are doing quite well this season. Messi and co are always favourites for the title in La Liga, even when they had proven superstars like Cristiano Ronaldo. And it makes me a bit mad since i really don't like Real Madrid.

You make a lot of valid points and I used to think the exact same way but the BIG negative of this tactic is that these players take up spaces in the team leading to negative performances and results and stopping the progression of other better players.

For example Vinicius. How many lost points and bad performances him playing last year did it take before they realised he isn't good enough? Had Barca bought Vinicius I'm 100% sure we would not have seen 1 minute of Ansu Fati play. Maybe Ansu would've been sold?

I agree Barca should be doing more of this but to me it seems we are focusing on Spanish talents like Pedri. A player who is 80% cheaper and has just as much chance to succeed.

Btw you were robbed in the Bernabeu again last game with that VAR call on Marcelo.

mc_lovin

I agree Barca should be doing more of this but to me it seems we are focusing on Spanish talents like Pedri. A player who is 80% cheaper and has just as much chance to succeed.

+1

I just dont see a massive difference between our talents (or other top clubs for that matter) and Reals brazilian invasion apart from their price tag. And I dont think they will easily get their investment back either, as soon as one of them shows cracks and Real lose hope, Im not so sure other teams will take the bait.

Pepe for example was much more established than any of the guys above.

Home of Barca Fans