Should Suarez be dropped from the Starting XI in the CL?

Should Luis Suarez be dropped in the CL?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
As the title suggests.

His record in the CL now is 4 goals in his last 24 games including group stages. He hasn't scored an away goal in the CL since 2015.

Not only is he unable to score, he is sluggish on the ball and complains at every other player in the team when something doesn't go his way or he doesn't receive the ball, and when he receives the ball you know the story....

If you Vote Yes, I would like you to comment in the thread which Front 3 you would like to see.

[tw]1097968288578134016[/tw]

Dzy-cYuX0AAXCG1.png:large

FCBfan22

Yes. At least try something else. Boateng won't cut it. Either Messi in the middle or Malcom as a ST. We need to try that in the league.

Cule4life

The Culest
Who in their right mind would vote no (apart from Valverdistas maybe)

Malcom-Messi-Dembele

Yes. At least try something else. Boateng won't cut it. Either Messi in the middle or Malcom as a ST. We need to try that in the league.

You mean Malcom in the middle :pep:

Vilarrubi

If you’d have asked me a couple of months ago I’d say no.. but his level has dropped even further. Last few games have been the worst of his career. He could actually be he reason we don’t advance if he misses big chances.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
Drop him and no one will occupy the CBs. Messi will drop deep in midfield as usual, Dembele and Malcom are wingers. But in this form Suarez is of course a liability, and playing without a CF will be a better decision.

khaled_a_d

Suarez has became what Benzema was for RM last few years, he is there because he open things for the rest of the team, not for his goal or assists. Difference is he can still end up scoring 20-30 goals at the year by dominating the league in a couple of months during the season.
The alternatives isn't really that encouraging either, KPB? no way. Coutinho? he is having his own Suarez level of struggles, Malcom? he was equally bad most of the time he played, finishing abysmal. Only true good game was when RM played an open game against us. He won't get that on regular basis. Never mind getting another winger and making Messi false 9 might affect Messi badly.
So sadly, as it stands right now a fat bad finishing Suarez is probably our best option right now.
That doesn't mean he need to play every game

DonAK

Suarez has became what Benzema was for RM last few years, he is there because he open things for the rest of the team, not for his goal or assists. Difference is he can still end up scoring 20-30 goals at the year by dominating the league in a couple of months during the season.
The alternatives isn't really that encouraging either, KPB? no way. Coutinho? he is having his own Suarez level of struggles, Malcom? he was equally bad most of the time he played, finishing abysmal. Only true good game was when RM played an open game against us. He won't get that on regular basis. Never mind getting another winger and making Messi false 9 might affect Messi badly.
So sadly, as it stands right now a fat bad finishing Suarez is probably our best option right now.
That doesn't mean he need to play every game

Except Benz even during his worst spells for Real Madrid still scored in the KO stages in the CL. Forget the KO stages, Suarez cannot even score in the Group Stages.

Besides, Benzema's overall play is far better than Suarez' right now. It's not even close. I also don't like how Messi and Suarez seem to think they're playing in their backyard trying to do everything between themselves. Might open up Dembele a lot more if he's on the RW and Messi doesn't have that tunnel vision where he absolutely need to feed Suarez.

It's now or never for him. If he cannot turn up and keep shitting the bed in the CL and it costs us the game or a tie, he's going to start the destruction of his legacy at Barca. Not like he ever was a likeable player to begin with.

And no, he is our striker. Our #9. His job is to score goals. His goalscoring record compared to other #9s in the CL is absolutely shocking and pathetic.

DonAK

I can compile a list of other #9s of other teams and their goalscoring records in the CL the last three season vs. Suarez'.

Already telling you, it's gonna look really bad. To give you a preview: Cavani in the same timespan has 17 CL goals while Suarez has 4.

Let that fucking sink in.

khaled_a_d

Except Benz even during his worst spells for Real Madrid still scored in the KO stages in the CL. Forget the KO stages, Suarez cannot even score in the Group Stages.

Besides, Benzema's overall play is far better than Suarez' right now. It's not even close. I also don't like how Messi and Suarez seem to think they're playing in their backyard trying to do everything between themselves. Might open up Dembele a lot more if he's on the RW and Messi doesn't have that tunnel vision where he absolutely need to feed Suarez.

It's now or never for him. If he cannot turn up and keep shitting the bed in the CL and it costs us the game or a tie, he's going to start the destruction of his legacy at Barca. Not like he ever was a likeable player to begin with.

And no, he is our striker. Our #9. His job is to score goals. His goalscoring record compared to other #9s in the CL is absolutely shocking and pathetic.

His job is to score for sure, but when he is benched who is going to replace him and score?
Messi for sure has tunnel vision when he sees Suarez, happened to players like Coutinho,Dembele & Malcom, happened last year with Paulinho. But do you think it solves itself when Suarez is out? Messi looks like he isn't even interested in the game, even by his standards, when Suarez isn't there.
Suarez will need to be replaced, even the board and EV knew that when they tried to get Griezmann, but he won't be replaced by vaccum or by winger. Because sadly those little things as occupying defenders matters a lot for the rest of the team, especially for Messi.

DonAK

His job is to score for sure, but when he is benched who is going to replace him and score?
Messi for sure has tunnel vision when he sees Suarez, happened to players like Coutinho,Dembele & Malcom, happened last year with Paulinho. But do you think it solves itself when Suarez is out? Messi looks like he isn't even interested in the game, even by his standards, when Suarez isn't there.
Suarez will need to be replaced, even the board and EV knew that when they tried to get Griezmann, but he won't be replaced by vaccum or by winger. Because sadly those little things as occupying defenders matters a lot for the rest of the team, especially for Messi.

I think it's worth trying something different out as threading on this path is only going to lead to other problems and Suarez once and for all need to be held accountable.

Faster ball movement, Dembele and Malcom being told to make runs behind as often as possible and our midfielders told to get the ball in earlier.

Too bad we're stuck with the most vanilla manager in history who will keep playing Suarez in every single game.

Sultan

Nosce te ipsum
Coutinho_________Dembele
__________Messi
____Arthur________Raki/Vidal
_________Busquets
Alba______________Semedo
____Umtiti______Pique
_________Mats

Last edited:

ronniecro

he should not be dropped only in CL but in liga too but that's like me wishing to win my domestic lottery as well as euromillions...

Andresito

Staff member
Not necessarily in CL, but he should be benched for 2+ games. If he finds his form after that he can be the usual starter.

That will NEVER happen though. When it comes to Suárez the narrative is always "he should play to find his form" when in reality he should be fighting for his place.

I need more Dembélé-Semedo right side action in my life. It won't happen with Messi and Suárez on the pitch.

Home of Barca Fans