CL | 1/8 Finals: FC Barcelona - Lyon 5-1 agg.

Raketa10

The only sure thing with Valverde is that he will always take no risk at all. This is not the way to manage Barca! We were never cowards!

Felipetonelo

I can't see Barca winning this game with this midfield. 2 of 3 are really slow, Rakitic barely moves to receive the ball, all of them are bad at receiving the ball under pressure (Busquets can do well, but lately only with Arthur on his side), only Busquets makes passes between the lines. Defensively, they can suffer with Lyon's speed.

So, if we have trouble moving the ball forward, people will complain that Messi is dropping deep to get the ball, as if he will receive the ball with those 3 in the midfield. That can lead to Suarez being alone on top, Dembele running alone on the wing and that's all.

I'm expecting a very difficult game if Lyon presses in our half, and if that happens, maybe we will see more long balls to Alba/Dembele.

shadows

Who else!? Anyone except Roberto FFS! Coutinho for example!

Coutinho is not someone you would put in a 3 midfield with 2 slow coach DM's in a Champions league game probably... Valverde hasn't even done that in liga games..why would he do that in a CL knock out game!! Roberto is atleast better option in midfield than him stinking up the joint at RB!!!

tacticvarium

Well, for me Arthur is also not really established player who still has a long way to be considered as one of the best midfielders in the world.

Barcilliant

I'd say that Vidal has earned some bench time, off of his recent staring performances. S. Roberto plays like a Barca player, and he has a proven history in big games. He is not small, which should help against this physical, athletc Lyon team. It is good to have players available on the bench who have played well coming in as subs. Coutinho or Vidal could be the difference today.

He is not small but he is weak. As for Rakitic, what has he done to deserve a starting spot?

I stand by my prediction 3-1 Lyon.

Gari

Aspiazu (assistant Valverde): "With Sergi Roberto we are looking for a player that helps us in the game, that has depth and that will go to the wing when Messi goes into the center." [movistar]

Arizona Scott

I remember people calling Valverde moron in this forum last year for not playing Roberto in the midfield. Times have been changed :D

Contrarians just to lower their own expectations and be angry.

This is the 11 I wanted. I think Bob will be a better blend of movement, energy and composure since Arthur is out and Vidal has played a lot lately. Look for Vidal (probably) or Alena to come in the attacking midfield later to give us a final 25 minutes of energy. Coutinho will come in as soon as Dembele get's gassed. One sub as insurance for injury or time wasting or the like.

We got this, 3 Barca 1 Lyon, tie over after today.

Home of Barca Fans