Barca renews Valverde's contract

LABarcaFan

I think it is mostly on the manager. Pique is still good, he's been excellent in the last couple of months. Plus, we'll hopefully have de Ligt coming in. Agreed with you on Busquets, Rakitic and Suarez. Vidal can still offer us something but not as a starter. Coutinho has to go. We're also planning on selling Rafinha and Cilessen.

Get a new manager and clear most of the squad out. I'm in favor of signing Griezmann because he'll be replacing Suarez and god knows how much we need goals especially in the UCL. There is no one else on the market that is already world class and can guarantee us goals. IF we get a new and good manager and can clear out most of the squad, I'd be optimistic. but thats a big if.

First about Pique. I have to disagree with you. Nowadays, it became a tendency the central defenders to go and try to score from corner kicks, using their height. That is OK with me. But Pique leaves his place very often and does not go back quickly.If he wants to be a central forward, teams like Eybar, Getaffe and Hueska may try him, but not Barcelona.
Second: Antoine Griezmann is 28 y.o. and in 2018-19 season in 36 appearances for Atletico has scored 15 goals. A 32 y.o. Luis Suarez has 31 games for Barca and has scored 21 goals. Do you really think that he is better than Suarez?
Third: To answer your question about who can we sign instead of Griezmann. Look at these three names.

Luuk de Jong (28) - PSV Eindhoven ......... 31 games - 28 goals
Nicolas Pepe (23) - Lille, France ......... 36 games - 20 goals
Sam Lammers (22) - Heerenveen, Netherlands ............ 32 games - 19 goals

All three of them are a lot cheaper than Griezmann and can be bought for around 15 mil euro. They are not yet world class names, but already had that type of stats. I am not against replacing Valverde, but the main question is - who is going to succeed him? If that can be Ronald Koeman, then there is a hope that both Dutch players I mentioned above, plus Matthijs de Ligt can sign with Barcelona.

abbbs97

First about Pique. I have to disagree with you. Nowadays, it became a tendency the central defenders to go and try to score from corner kicks, using their height. That is OK with me. But Pique leaves his place very often and does not go back quickly.If he wants to be a central forward, teams like Eybar, Getaffe and Hueska may try him, but not Barcelona.
Second: Antoine Griezmann is 28 y.o. and in 2018-19 season in 36 appearances for Atletico has scored 15 goals. A 32 y.o. Luis Suarez has 31 games for Barca and has scored 21 goals. Do you really think that he is better than Suarez?
Third: To answer your question about who can we sign instead of Griezmann. Look at these three names.

Luuk de Jong (28) - PSV Eindhoven ......... 31 games - 28 goals
Nicolas Pepe (23) - Lille, France ......... 36 games - 20 goals
Sam Lammers (22) - Heerenveen, Netherlands ............ 32 games - 19 goals

All three of them are a lot cheaper than Griezmann and can be bought for around 15 mil euro. They are not yet world class names, but already had that type of stats. I am not against replacing Valverde, but the main question is - who is going to succeed him? If that can be Ronald Koeman, then there is a hope that both Dutch players I mentioned above, plus Matthijs de Ligt can sign with Barcelona.

Those three you mentioned are not world class. Luuk de Jong and Sam Lammers are not even close to being world class. Pepe would not cost 15m, he would cost more than 60m. Griezmann 'only' scored 15 goals because he played in a defensive system, and at Barca it is not a defensive system so he'll score so much more than Suarez. He is so much better than Suarez and he will score all the UCL goals that Suarez missed all these seasons. People are underestimating how good Griezmann really is.

Well, no world class manager is available right now to replace EV as ideally I want Erik Ten Hag-but he wont leave Ajax this year. I'd go for Setien since he's available. I think he'd do well here. Anyone but EV.

LABarcaFan

I'm not sure why they are so eager to renew him when we are hardly a step into the CL knockouts.

Baffling.

Because on Wednesday, Ronald Koeman was in the teams headquarter to talk with Bartomeu. What was the reason he did not accept the coaching job, we don't know... yet. Or we may never know. On Friday, they renew Valverde's contract for 1+1 year. Obviously, there is no reliable candidate at this time. All good coaches are under contract.

LABarcaFan

Those three you mentioned are not world class. Luuk de Jong and Sam Lammers are not even close to being world class. Pepe would not cost 15m, he would cost more than 60m. Griezmann 'only' scored 15 goals because he played in a defensive system, and at Barca it is not a defensive system so he'll score so much more than Suarez. He is so much better than Suarez and he will score all the UCL goals that Suarez missed all these seasons. People are underestimating how good Griezmann really is.

Well, no world class manager is available right now to replace EV as ideally I want Erik Ten Hag-but he wont leave Ajax this year. I'd go for Setien since he's available. I think he'd do well here. Anyone but EV.

People are not underestimating Griezmann. He is just not that good, as you think. Barcelona's playing style is based on moving the ball around and look for a chance to find maestro Messi. Because of him, I am 100% sure, Griezmann won't get that many chances for goal. What had Setien achieved with Real Betis? Any trophy, any coach of the year award, anything at all? That is why, he was fired after they beat Real Madrid. Just anyone but EV is a nonsense to me. Barcelona need solid coach with reputation and most of all, with history of wining European Trophies. Ronald Koeman was in town to meet with the management, but something went wrong and two days later, they resigned Valverde.

Respekt_III

Anti-everything
did you seriously create an account to just protect valverde... at least have the balls to use your real account.

Giginho75

Yeah, because Enrique was an absolute failure right?

It's clear that I meant talking about trainers who left a sign in the Barca's world (Cruijff and Guardiola).

I don't think that Lucho is on the same level, despite he won triplete and got trophies...
and I think also that he is not a better trainer than EV.

Anyway by now the choice is done!
The board renewed with EV.
Probably they think that this is actually and currently the best choice.
If will be correct I don't know. I hope it!

snowy

Would you guys take Sarri as a replacement? Rumours are that he is leaving Chelsea, probably to Juve

In a heartbeat! He's the image opposite of the Valv.

Can't go wrong with him. And we certainly could use some of his magic _ his brand of football, Sarri-ball, is known for being innovative and super entertaining. A kind of vertical tiki-taka, using quick short passes and rapid dashes on the wings. Guy is a demanding maniac, and knows how to extract the best out of his players.

https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-reads/18-quotes-to-explain-maurizio-sarris-philosophy-he-sees-things-others-dont/

Giginho75

I have stuck up for valverde at times but he has to take most of the blame for the champions league exit. Mainly for starting 3 defensive midfielders in both games. He should have recognised that we were outplayed in the midfield in the first leg and were lucky to have such a big lead and then play the same midfield in the second leg. All he had to do was play Arthur and more than likely we would have gotten through

Team created chances to score at Anfield and the playing way was not defensive.

We suffered the rhythm of Liverpool and did too many mistakes not caused by EV.
The first goal is a nice present of Jordi Alba (I love him, but at Anfield he was a disaster) and the fourth is absurd.

Many blames also for the players.

Last edited:

Howlgrana

People are not underestimating Griezmann. He is just not that good, as you think. Barcelona's playing style is based on moving the ball around and look for a chance to find maestro Messi. Because of him, I am 100% sure, Griezmann won't get that many chances for goal. What had Setien achieved with Real Betis? Any trophy, any coach of the year award, anything at all? That is why, he was fired after they beat Real Madrid. Just anyone but EV is a nonsense to me. Barcelona need solid coach with reputation and most of all, with history of wining European Trophies. Ronald Koeman was in town to meet with the management, but something went wrong and two days later, they resigned Valverde.

Grizemann is 'not that good' oh come on. You can count on one hand how many strikers are arguably better than him. He's legit world class, lethal finisher, scores in big matches, great positioning, good dribbling, intelligent, good stamina.

That's not to say that he is the right choice for Barca, 110m euros for a 28-yr old may not be the best bit of business.

LABarcaFan

Grizemann is 'not that good' oh come on. You can count on one hand how many strikers are arguably better than him. He's legit world class, lethal finisher, scores in big matches, great positioning, good dribbling, intelligent, good stamina.

That's not to say that he is the right choice for Barca, 110m euros for a 28-yr old may not be the best bit of business.

Mark my words . Remember what LABarcaFan has sad and when the time comes, be a man and apologize for your wrong thoughts. I know Antoine very well and will stick to my words. And the asking price is not 110, is 120 million euros. That is too much money for just one player. But,hey, you are not the one who will pay for him, right? Smart organization will use this amount to sign two 60 million players. Today Real M ( and Z.Zidane ) ended all conversations with Luka Jovic and Eintraht for the same reason. Now you may say that Jovic is not even close to Griezmann and all that kind of staff, but I don't buy it, because I know what I am talking about. Mark my words.:rockon:

snowy

Mark my words . Remember what LABarcaFan has sad and when the time comes, be a man and apologize for your wrong thoughts. I know Antoine very well and will stick to my words. And the asking price is not 110, is 120 million euros. That is too much money for just one player. But,hey, you are not the one who will pay for him, right? Smart organization will use this amount to sign two 60 million players. Today Real M ( and Z.Zidane ) ended all conversations with Luka Jovic and Eintraht for the same reason. Now you may say that Jovic is not even close to Griezmann and all that kind of staff, but I don't buy it, because I know what I am talking about. Mark my words.:rockon:

Bless me Father LBF, for I have sinned and I too shared in the Howl's views :innocent:

Hell yeah (oups sorry it slipped out! datz 3 hail mary's for me) 125 mil is way overpay but doesn't mean Grizou ain't world class. He's aging and might catch the lazy bug from our vets (think they all caught it from Lord Turan :lol:) but still a definite upgrade to our good'ol gunslinger. C'mon, if you forget the price for a moment, you really think he's gonna tank?

31knu8.jpg

edit: you know what, even at 120 mil, it still is a good signing! Just wanted to vent on Barto again :giggle:. I'm bullish on the Griez. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

LABarcaFan

I don't know what any other coach could do today, against Valencia. Ter Stegen is out. Umtiti is out. Suarez is out. Dembele is out. Who could he play instead of the starters? When you have so many players down, you have almost no choice. 4-4-2 system was his only chance today with Messi and Coutinho in the attack. Unfortunately none of them is playing well as of late, that is why, we are out of the CL and could not add another Cope del Rey in our museum. This team, fellow Barca fans, is worn out. It is like well squeezed lemon. There is no juice left. Lets forget about titles and trophies for two years and let the management and the board to rebuild the team from its grounds.
Keep: Ter Stegen, Semedo, S.Roberto, J.Alba, Alena, Arthur, Messi and Dembele and get rid of all other. Bring from Barca "B" some real talents as a subs and sign young players with bright future, whom price is not greater than 25 - 30 mil. euros. Find the right coach, who can work with youngsters, without any pressure and let him do his job on a daily basis. That is the formula to get back to the top of Europe and the World.

Gari

President Bartomeu has decided to organise a meeting on Tuesday the 28th of May to address, in depth, the crisis in which the club is immersed since the elimination against Liverpool in the Champions League.One of the main topics of the meeting will be about the club's general manager Pep Segura, whom Bartomeu continues to defend. Some people within the board want him to get sacked.Another topic that will be discussed in the meeting is the increase in voices who think Valverde should go. [sport]

Home of Barca Fans