Should Barcelona renew Ivan Rakitić or not?

Should Barca renew Rakitic's contract?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PhilS

Most of the long-time Barca starters do not leave until after they get demoted below the gala 11. This is not close to happening yet with Rakitic. I bet it won't happen next season, either.

Joan

last poll i was the only one who voted roberto.........

now one more person voted for raki with me.

i see a improvement in this forum.

it will all change soon......

Haven't voted yet... here's your chance.

For how many more years would you want Rakitić to remain at the club? Why?

Haven't voted yet... here's your chance.

For how many more years would you want Rakitić to remain at the club? Why?

3-4 more years.......

he is still a great player, but not a flashy one so he is not appreciated by fan. he defends right flank by himself when roberto go forward.

tracks back, tackles, long shots, stability, work rate etc... etc....

i do not buy fdj hype that much. ligue 1 is called farmer league, dutch league is much worse. in his career fdj only has maybe 5 match against big team. raki is many levels above him still and better mids on this crazy marker r too expensive.

Joan

3-4 more years.......

he is still a great player, but not a flashy one so he is not appreciated by fan. he defends right flank by himself when roberto go forward.

tracks back, tackles, long shots, stability, work rate etc... etc....

i do not buy fdj hype that much. ligue 1 is called farmer league, dutch league is much worse. in his career fdj only has maybe 5 match against big team. raki is many levels above him still and better mids on this crazy marker r too expensive.
I can relate to that. Don't want him gone in the summer either. Reliable option if De Jong fails to prove himself.

3-4 years could be tad too much but depends on the way his career develops from here. Too early to tell.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I bet none of Pique, Busquets, Suarez will be at Barca in 3-4 years yet this cat want Rakitic to get a bigger pay and more years on his contract.

FCBfan22

3-4 years? If we do that we might as well be on our way ro be AC Milan II. 1-2 years max. And that as a squad player, not a starter.

i_bleed_blaugrana

I say flip him next January.

I shit on him a lot but he’s clearly a world-class CM and deserves a pay raise. So I say help him transition FdJ for six months, cup tie him, then sell him off in Jan 2020. We could still demand close to what we payed for FdJ during that time frame. Everyone wins in that scenario and he deserves a proper send off. He’s been excellent for us considering who he is as a player but with FdJ and Vidal in particular, plus Arthur, Aleñá, Puig sure to be in the picture moving forward, I just don’t see a long term spot for him here.

He’s world-class still and much like Modric, still has probably a good 2-4 seasons of quality football left in them, largely contingent on injuries. It’ll be interesting to see if/where they both move.

shadows

Definitely sell, Rakitic is quite valued on the market..In fact I would sell Busquets as well or just retain one of these two for the transition.. It was stupid on the boards part to offer lucrative extensions to an aging and quite poor in the past few seasons Busquets and Pique...

Rakitic has been quite a good player for us overall (same as Busquets and Pique)..But probably the time has come to sell them, and lets face it none of them are a generational talent to keep them till when they please...

Last edited:

malvolio

Definitely sell, Rakitic is quite valued on the market..In fact I would sell Busquets as well or just retain one of these two for the transition.. It was stupid on the boards part to offer lucrative extensions to an aging and quite poor in the past few seasons Busquets and Pique...

Rakitic has been quite a good player for us overall (same as Busquets and Pique)..But probably the time has come to sell them, and lets face it none of them are a generational talent to keep them till when they please...

Actually Busquets is a generational talent. Also, we don't sell our veterans from the cantera, ever. Don't think the club will start doing it now.

Rakitic should be sold in the summer. He was a very good buy for us but I think the time has come for us to part ways.

shadows

Actually Busquets is a generational talent. Also, we don't sell our veterans from the cantera, ever. Don't think the club will start doing it now.

Rakitic should be sold in the summer. He was a very good buy for us but I think the time has come for us to part ways.

Well.. Overall, I would agree.. But until now, it wasnt much of a problem..Both Busquets and Pique have been borderline bad to very bad with rare good performances for quite a while now, and thats not just this season.. While its true that we dont, may be we should consider, we have shipped Cantera talent who had played over 100 games for us but werent good enough anymore..

Leo_Messi

First of all it must be said that Rakitic has been a good servant for the club and that he seems like a very likable guy. It is not his fault that Valverde has been playing him constantly without a break for 1.5 seasons. Or that Lucho did pretty much the same thing.

However he should by no means get any wage increase or a contract extension for a few very simple and obvious reasons.

1) Can anyone here honestly claim that this current version of a 31 year old Rakitic deserves a wage increase? That would signify that he is a better player than he was in 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 and last year. Can any sane person claim such a thing? The answer is no.

2) We just bought FDJ for a record Dutch transfer fee. That was a strategic move and obviously the idea is for him to be a starter as soon as possible and as soon as he earns that right which his talent probably will ensure.

3) Arthur. Probably one of the most promising CM's out there. Young and eager to grow and a player that will need continuous playing time.

4) A soon to be 31 year old Busquets just received a contract extension and a likely wage increase not long ago. Having two 31 year olds that are past their best versions of themselves receiving contract extensions and wage increases is just incredibly bad business. From a sporting and economic point of view.

5) Rakitic is, as written earlier, a few weeks away from turning 31. Selling him this summer will be one of our last opportunities to receive a significant transfer fee for him. Not to take advantage of that given Arthur's presence, FDJ's purchase and Busquets likely going nowhere, neither Vidal who IMO has been better than Rakitic this season, would be an incredibly foolish thing to do.

Antigun

Thank you for your contribution Ivan, but a win-win situation is the club getting decent transfer fees from your transfer, and you getting your last big contract from your new employer.

Home of Barca Fans