Lliga | Round 22: FC Barcelona - Valencia CF 2-2

Arizona Scott

I praised Valverde a lot with the lineup and subs midweek, these decisions were terrible. Should have been Lenglet and Murrillo at CBs, Arthur instead of Vidal. Many vets needed a break (Pique, Vidal) and didn't get it. Rakitic and Suarez also needed a plan to be subbed. I really just didn't get the decision making.

It was totally a mess to start the left side with Roberto (not his natural position and either he was instructed to bomb forward or he just did it) and Vermaelen together, on top of it Rakitic, not fleet of foot, trying to protect the backline. Although it would have been the same issue had Busi been available.

Valencia fine goal (Rodrigo is tough to handle--I like him, and Gameiro is a smart player and clinical finisher) reflect a collapse of issues, Vidal diving in, missing, and never getting in the play, Roberto being late (ended up leaving Vermaelen and Pique alone, he did this earlier too only MATs and post saved the 1st one), Rodrigo measuring Rakitic and leaving the Rakitic out of the play, and Vermaelen missing what needed to be a key interception if he was going for it. A collapse on many Barca player's faults--players who you would not want to him them in that position, and great plays by 2 Valencia players.

The 2nd goal was all an individual error by Bob.

All in all Barca got two goals--the dropped points is because they allowed 2 goals to team that rarely gets 2 on the road. Football 101 failure.

Last edited:

Arizona Scott

...Lol dude so you really think that Barca will give manitas to RM and Lyon ? Wake up this isn't Pep's or Lucho's Barca. It's already a miracle that one Clasico manita happened with Fraudverde, even though we gotta say RM being in their worst shape in the last 10 years did help. We're constantly winning games in poor fashion under Valverde since 1 year and a half. But you think that suddenly in february Valverde's Barca will turn into a smash machine ? Did your data tell you that ?

Of course I don't really don't think it is likely we win those first legs 4-0, 5-1, that was bravado and talking mess. (I think there was a Madrid poster around).

Called it.

Busquets did miss a lot. The thing is that Rakitic as DM got exposed big time on counters. How fun is that ? Barca getting beat up on counters with supposed defensive geniuses like Rakitic and Vidal on field ? As I already said: it's a huge shame to start games at Camp Nou with these 2 defensive oriented players as starters.

I knew Sevilla win was overrated big time. Rakitic, Roberto and Coutinho back at their horrible level. Vidal not Barca level technically neither.

No the Sevilla game was a great effort. Most of the vet players can't put in a great effort for 90 minute shift and repeat in 72 hours. Outside of incredibly efficient players like Messi and Busi (somehow Alba does too) it mostly isn't possible. Younger players, sure, its why I have no idea why Arthur and Lenglet didn't start and I would have gone for Murrilo instead of Pique.

Vidal is anything but a genius on either side of the ball, he is a fierce and physical, high risk box to box player. There is a place for him but he isn't a 90 minute Barca player. He left Barca's midfield and D exposed a number of times. Busi might have handled Rodrigo better, might not, Rodrigo is difficult and carved up the defense a number of time, the backline--particularly Vermaelen and Roberto on the left, didn't help at all. Rakitic was excellent in helping us keep possession and linking the defenders to the offense--but he has been playing way to much and is too slow to be isolated on a player like Rodrigo. Not sure it would have been different with Busi though.

All it all, for all the fuss, it looks like our gap to Atletico at worst is the same, maybe we gain a point over the weekend. So a highly successful last 3 matches. I told ya'll Atleti won't keep up, just like last year, thus we should play the vets economically in league. I am pissed however Pique, Rakitic, Suarez, Messi and Roberto had to play 90--that puts us in a lesser position against Madrid on Weds.

Centauri B

So, after all the hysteria, our gap has actually increased at the top of the table.

Team is doing more than fine. I wouldn't change our position with any other team in Europe right now.

LondonBarca

So, after all the hysteria, our gap has actually increased at the top of the table.

Team is doing more than fine. I wouldn't change our position with any other team in Europe right now.

Yeah having 24 hours to settle, things didn't actually turn out too bad.

At this point of the season, its not necessarily winning every game that happens - its just making sure that you keep doing better than them.

Home of Barca Fans