Lliga | Round 22: FC Barcelona - Valencia CF 2-2

El Gato

Villarato!
There was a lot of effort put in in the match vs Sevilla. Don't know what you saw, but we were pressing them all game almost.

All game? :lol: If you meant to say you were chasing the ball throughout the 2nd half then sure. You sat back for pretty much 30 mins of the 2nd half. EV almost deliberately moved them back to 4-4-0 with Leo and Suarez being permitted to have an occasional sprint.

mesiesta

I expect this line-up

Ter Stegen
Semedo-Murillo-Vermaelen-Alba
Aleña-Rakitic-Vidal
Messi-Prince-Malcom

Gari

DyWDa1qWsAA0-dZ.jpg
NO Busquets, Cillessen, Umtiti, Rafinha, Dembele and Todibo.
Yes Samper and Inaki Pena

Last edited:

Arizona Scott

This is not the time to rotate. Rotations can be considered in the first leg of the semis.

No. These Copa Classicos are know more important matches other than the CL & Atleti in league. Even the league Classico may be of little meaning other than sentiment when it comes around. We have a 5 point gap and it will be very difficult for Atleti to gain ground, their schedule all in all is as difficult, they will likely fade away like last year now that we are not stumbling defensively like Sep-Oct.

The time to rotate will be the 2nd legs (Lyon, Real) when we have won the first by 5 goal margins, and let's put the Barca B team in the league Classico after we have bashed them out of the Copa and extended our lead on Atleti just to show them we don't care and you nor anyone else can't catch us anyway.

I have said it many times at this Forum: Messi is the clear GOAT soccer player but has one weakness that has haunted him in tournaments where the final is played after short rest: his physical recovery after top performances (like his masterful role in the Sevilla match on Wednesday) takes a bit longer than some other players (such as his good friend Mascherano who was less brilliant but had exceptional endurance). Therefore, playing Messi without rest in consecutive matches should be avoided. Given his key role as the Barça team leader, it is tempting for the Coach to play him all the time, but EV should listen to his medical staff and be VERY CAREFUL!
If we want to reach our CL goal this season, we must conserve Messi's strength and minimize injury risks.
A delicate task but a very important one.

This is true, and I agree, but very difficult. When Dembele comes back it would be nice to platoon Suarez and Messi a lot between matches and subs. The one thing I will say about Messi is he is better than most (and particularly Suarez) at picking his spots.

Plus that after Madrid we play away to Bilbao, which is a harder game than the one vs Valencia at home. I'd rather field a stronger team away to Bilbao and rotate more heavily at home to Valencia.

I agree. I am not sure how much Valencia will have for this one. They played an intense midweek affair too, and now are on the road. They also have a great chance (favorites but Betis could beat them if they are not focused)) to make CDR final and then likely next year's supercup.

Ter Stegen
Semedo-Murillo-Lenglet-Alba
Aleña-Arthur-Rakitic
Messi-Prince-Coutinho

Subs for sure to be used (at half to 60 minute mark): Roberto, Vidal

Sub to be used based on the situation (need a goal or stiffen defense, or are cruising): Malcom, Suarez, Pique, or Vermaelen (could even spell Alba)

I'm predicting 2-0 Barca

Last edited:

soul24rage

They also have a great chance (favorites but Betis could beat them if they are not focused)) to make CDR final and then likely next year's supercup

This is also a good point. They are lucky that they avoided both Barca and RM and if they go to the final, anything could happen in a one off game (even though they will not be the favorites)

Judging by their last 5 games, they didn't rotate much so that could be a factor even though they had an extra day of rest compared to us.

I think top 4 will be difficult for Valencia, so hopefully Valencia will rest a few of their starters to prepare their best for the Copa semis.

YodaMaster

A home game vs Valencia between two important matches (remontada vs Sevilla and a SF vs Real Madrid), I'm not expecting a walk in the park nor should the players.

If Valencia decides to press high, Vidal and Rakitic will struggle a lot and Busquets' absence will be felt. I might be wrong because in football you never know but I think this will be a much more difficult game than the last one against Sevilla.

I'd start Alena and Malcom though.

xXKonan

DyacQoiW0AAcs15.jpg

serghei

Good enough in terms of rotations. Alba, Lenglet and Arthur, with Busi also rested due to the 5th yellow. I want to see Boateng and Malcom being subbed in in min 60 or so if we're doing well on the scorecard.

Suarez would be a good candidate for a sub.

Joan

Quite a few rotations. Arthur, Lenglet, Alba rested. Same goes for Busquets.

Gari

Dyadp7PX0AAz_iv.jpg
Barça bench: Peña, Murillo, Lenglet, Alba, Arthur, Malcom and Boateng.
Semedo сonquered position.

Last edited:

Porque

Huge opportunity for Alena. I wouldn't have started him but clearly Valverde has faith in him- which is great news.

Personally hope Semedo is LB as from the little I have seen from him and Roberto, he is less limited there. Plus with a nicely finished left footed goal last week, there could be some productively for him to surprise us with.

Alik

I might have rested Piqué instead of Lenglet.

I hope Roberto is LB and Semedo RB.

Interesting lineup, all in all.

Home of Barca Fans