Lliga | Round 22: FC Barcelona - Valencia CF 2-2

Altomonte

I don't want to be negative but I have a bad feeling and am concerned that Barça will have less than 3 full days of rest. We cannot afford to lose key players to injury, and the risk is much higher with such short rest. Should Messi play 90 minutes?

wojtanowskyFCB

In my opinion he shouldn't, also beating Valencia would be great for our morals. Also we have to get some confidence before crucial part of the season, so beating Sevilla, then Valencia and (hopefully) twice in a row Real, would set us in position that I haven't seen for ages - when our opponents lose their matches before first whistle, with legs trembling with fear

FCBfan22

Well, with the Copa draw, I change my lineup to:

--------------MATS----------------
Semedo-Murillo--Lenglet-Roberto
--------------Rakitić---------------
------Alena-----------Vidal--------
-Messi------Suarez-----Coutinho-

Try to score multiple goals ASAP and sub Messi for Malcom at the 70th minute. Also, try to rest Ramos' worst nightmare, Vidal in the 2nd half.

Subs (with good score, at least 2-0):

Messi -> Malcom 70th minute
Vidal -> Arthur 60th minute
Coutinho -> Dembele 80th minute

For Madrid, I would go with:

-----------Cillesen-------------
Semedo-Pique--Lenglet-Alba
-----------Busquets-----------
-----Vidal---------Arthur------
Messi-----Suarez----Dembele

PhilS

I would rotate out Alba and Busquets for this one. With Alba out, both Pique and Lenglet have to play, with Vidal in midfield, can't skimp with any other of the defenders with the weakness at LB.

Altomonte

I have said it many times at this Forum: Messi is the clear GOAT soccer player but has one weakness that has haunted him in tournaments where the final is played after short rest: his physical recovery after top performances (like his masterful role in the Sevilla match on Wednesday) takes a bit longer than some other players (such as his good friend Mascherano who was less brilliant but had exceptional endurance). Therefore, playing Messi without rest in consecutive matches should be avoided. Given his key role as the Barça team leader, it is tempting for the Coach to play him all the time, but EV should listen to his medical staff and be VERY CAREFUL!
If we want to reach our CL goal this season, we must conserve Messi's strength and minimize injury risks.
A delicate task but a very important one.

serghei

Valverde said Dembele probably won't be back for Valencia, so my guess Coutinho plays.

Busquets is suspended so midfield will probably be Rakitic, Arthur & Vidal.

Marc back in goal.

Now, Semedo or Sergi at right back?

Alena has to play tomorrow.

Gari

Will there be rotations tomorrow?
Valverde: "We will field our best 11, we have to because the league is the priority"

serghei

Will there be rotations tomorrow?
Valverde: "We will field our best 11, we have to because the league is the priority"

Did he really say that? Is he dumb or smth? If the league is the priority why did he start the gala 11 vs Sevilla? :facepalm:

If this moron doesn't rotate in a serious way we'll blow up our season in february - early march.

Last edited:

El Gato

Villarato!
Did he really say that? Is he dumb or smth? If the league is the priority why did he start the gala 11 vs Sevilla? :facepalm:

Why would he not do that? Copa is Copa. It's one game too. Majority of them were on their backfoot for 2/3 of the game too and still beat Seville.

Has to play gala 11 vs Seville to ensure Copa semis. Has to play gala 11 vs Valencia who are regaining some steam these days after a shit autumn.

Normal.

Last edited:

soul24rage

I think EV's going to rotate heavily in either the Valencia game or the RM 1st leg. My guess is that he's going to rotate heavily in the Valencia game with all the big guns out vs RM 1st leg.

I feel that he's going to go with something like this

MATS---Semedo, Murillo, Lenglet/Vermaelen, Bob---Alena, Rakitic, Vidal---Messi, Boateng, Malcom

I think it's imperative that Alba gets a rest in this game.

serghei

Why would he not do that? Copa is Copa. It's one game too. Majority of them were on their backfoot for 2/3 of the game too and still beat Seville.

Has to play gala 11 vs Seville to ensure Copa semis. Has to play gala 11 vs Valencia who are regaining some steam these days after a shit autumn.

Normal.

There was a lot of effort put in in the match vs Sevilla. Don't know what you saw, but we were pressing them all game almost.

There have to be some rotations. Doubt he will rotate in the Clasico, so vs Valencia it is almost mandatory to rotate. We are at home and we can beat Valencia with some squad players playing, considering the quality of the players in question.

Semedo, Vidal, Alena, Boateng have to play.

soul24rage

There was a lot of effort put in in the match vs Sevilla. Don't know what you saw, but we were pressing them all game almost.

There has to be some rotations. Doubt he will rotate in the Clasico, so vs Valencia is almost mandatory to rotate.

Semedo, Vidal, Alena, Boateng have to play.

Plus the gala 11 players played vs Girona on Sunday. If EV plays the gala 11 vs Valencia, then they would have played 3 games in 6 days with a Remontada which would have taken a lot from the players.

I really doubt that EV is going to rotate heavily vs RM 1st leg so I expect rotations vs Valencia from EV.

Andresito

Staff member
Alba, Piqué, Suárez and Messi are the ones that shouldn't rest. The rest can be rotated little by little.

Semedo, Piqué, Vermaelen/Murillo, Alba
Rakitic, Busquets, Aleña
Messi, Suárez, Dembélé

Roberto, Piqué, Lenglet, Alba
Vidal, Busquets/Rakitic, Arthur
Messi, Suárez, Coutinho

Not proposing these eleven's per say, just showing the possibilities we have in the squad and that it's possible to make two rotated elevens without one being much stronger than the other.

serghei

Plus the gala 11 players played vs Girona on Sunday. If EV plays the gala 11 vs Valencia, then they would have played 3 games in 6 days with a Remontada which would have taken a lot from the players.

I really doubt that EV is going to rotate heavily vs RM 1st leg so I expect rotations vs Valencia from EV.

Plus that after Madrid we play away to Bilbao, which is a harder game than the one vs Valencia at home. I'd rather field a stronger team away to Bilbao and rotate more heavily at home to Valencia.

Home of Barca Fans