Emerson

khaled_a_d

People will mention a lot of other players like Roberto Carlos, Lahm, Cafu, whatever, but attacking wise no one is close to Alves.

Tough to say Roberto Carlos wasn't close. It is actually very close and very debatable who is better on attack between both.
Carlos was a mix between Alba and Alves. Was one of those players you envy RM for. He didn't last as long as Alves but he started a bit earlier.
His (goal + assist) rate per game in Liga is better than Alves for example. Much better scorer too.

Last edited:

jamrock

Alves is something like 2nd in assist in la Liga to xavi I think.

Was the best player on a team that won 2 Europe league, don't think we can say the same about any other FB in recent memory, being the driving force of his team's success.

Also one of Sevilla's best player when they push Madrid to the very end.

Best FB I've ever seen and it's doesn't even require a second thought, unless we are just trying to play devil's advocate.

Last edited:

abiabi

Alves is something like 2nd in assist in la Liga to xavi I think.

Was the best player on a team that one 2 Europe league, don't think we can say the same about any other FB in recent memory, being the driving force of his team success.

Also one of Sevilla's best player whhe pushing Madrid to the very end.

Best FB I've ever seen and it's doesn't even require a second thought, unless we are just trying to play devil's advocate

best FB ive seen was Maicon in those 4 or 5 years .. force of nature and no holes in his game. no wonder he put alves on the bench in national team

EdmondDantes

Alves for me is a genius and the best full-back of all time, hands down.

I remember watching him at Sevilla, as this mystical one-man-army. For us, he was even better.

Cafu is probably number 2, and he was better than Alves at international level, but overall it's Dani and it's not even close.

Marcelo was incredible as well but as far as full-backs are concerned:

Marcelo = Ronaldinho

But

Dani = Messi

In their respective positions.

xXKonan

The thing that sucks is if Emerson is indeed is the real deal, he has to take a Non-EU spot and with the possible arrival of Neymar, we won't have any space unless we decide to sell Vidal next summer.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Tough to say Roberto Carlos wasn't close. It is actually very close and very debatable who is better on attack between both.
Carlos was a mix between Alba and Alves. Was one of those players you envy RM for. He didn't last as long as Alves but he started a bit earlier.
His (goal + assist) rate per game in Liga is better than Alves for example. Much better scorer too.

I've always found Roberto Carlos a bit overrated. Great without a doubt, but somehow a bit of a myth too due to his FKs.

best FB ive seen was Maicon in those 4 or 5 years .. force of nature and no holes in his game. no wonder he put alves on the bench in national team

The reason Maicon was preferred was because of Brazil's defensive managers who misused some of the great players they had. No wonder it coincided with them always underwhelming at the big stage.

Tite is the best NT coach Brazil had since Scolari in 2002. When Scolari returned a decade later he was finished as he no longer had ATGs in multiple positions and had to rely on creating a proper system using the right players.

Those four years under Dunga were a disaster.

Last edited:

Leo_Messi

Roberto Carlos was an absolute beast at his peak. Was notoriously one of the most impactful players for RM in this 10+ year long RM career. One of the most underrated players of his time. Even in his last season for RM (2006-07) he played a key role in several RM comebacks (the most frustrating league season that I have watched to date due to the many insane RM comebacks that season and the fashion in which we lost the league in - a league that we should never have lost) as a 34 year old that helped secure a league title for RM.

I am not old enough to have watched his early RM days (his best years) on a regular basis, but every madridista that I know rate him above Marcelo.

Some of the goals that he scored are likewise some of the most outrageous that have been scored to date.

At his best he was the Dani Alves of left backs just even better offensively and more dynamic. Was a beast for Brazil as well. Had the same insane stamina too. Not as technically gifted as Dani Alves and not as good in terms of combination play but he was a greater offensive threat overall though. Basically the "old version" of Dani Alves and arguably the first modern left back that commanded an entire "flank" much the same way Dani Alves did at his best for years.

The thing that sucks is if Emerson is indeed is the real deal, he has to take a Non-EU spot and with the possible arrival of Neymar, we won't have any space unless we decide to sell Vidal next summer.

A 33 year old Vidal is very likely not to be here next summer so that should not be a problem at all.

Last edited:

xXKonan

Brazil had some incredible generational fullbacks no doubt.

What was one of their strongest areas ended up being one of their weakest in recent times. Sure it's hard to follow up on the likes of Cafu, Alves, Maicon, Marcelo(Even if he's kinda iffy with Brazil), Roberto Carlos, But it's still astonishing they still haven't found a good enough RB to be that successor to Alves and as for LB's Marcelo and Felipe Luis to an extent.

I'm guessing Brazil is relying on hopes that someone within the U-23/U-20 sides could fill that gap eventually. Emerson if he could prove it could very well end up being that guy for Alves at least as guys such as Fagner and Danilo are simply nowhere near good enough to do so.

EdmondDantes

Brazil had some incredible generational fullbacks no doubt.

What was one of their strongest areas ended up being one of their weakest in recent times. Sure it's hard to follow up on the likes of Cafu, Alves, Maicon, Marcelo(Even if he's kinda iffy with Brazil), Roberto Carlos, But it's still astonishing they still haven't found a good enough RB to be that successor to Alves and as for LB's Marcelo and Felipe Luis to an extent.

I'm guessing Brazil is relying on hopes that someone within the U-23/U-20 sides could fill that gap eventually. Emerson if he could prove it could very well end up being that guy for Alves at least as guys such as Fagner and Danilo are simply nowhere near good enough to do so.

For left-back they're set again with Renan Lodi, the lad Atletico signed this summer. He's just turned 21 and is an absolute missile both offensively and defensively. I've only seen highlights of him, but been reading about him for quite some time.

Maldonado from Mundo Maldini at Movistar has been raving about him as well. Lodi will take over Alex sandro/ Alex Telles quite quickly.

At right back, they've got Emerson or the option of shoehorning Militao, that's about it.

xXKonan

Although this wasn't posted at the time of the signing.

I remember some Catalan Journalists were talking on twitter about at one point the Sporting Department wasn't as convinced as Andre Cury was when it came to Emerson, but Cury managed to convince them about Emerson and so we made the deal with Betis.

Cury can be seen as a shady individual at times(Depending on who you ask) but this time he could have actually gotten it right.

xXKonan

Was emerson good today?
In general it was a tough game for him and the rest of Real Betis. A great learning experience for him though.

Not currently suited to sit back without the ball at all, same with his teammate on the Left Flank Pedraza.

EdmondDantes

I thought he was solid in the first half. He won his defensive 1 v 1 duels; but in the second we obliterated Betis I lost track of him.

Home of Barca Fans