Emerson

xXKonan

He was very good in the Toulon tournament. He's a bit like Maicon.
When I have seen videos and some of his Betis performances I got that impression myself.

People talked about him being the "New Alves" But he doesn't play like that at all. He has some good technical ability but clearly, his strengths are on the physical/athletic side of things. Very different from the likes of Alves, Roberto, Wague and even Semedo.

He's an interesting one but I'm not sure if that could be enough for a team like ours. But he's tall enough that he could be converted into a CB down the line if needed though.

xXKonan

Shouldn’t this be moved to our players? Didn’t we officially sign him in the summer?
He's at Betis right now.

[tw]1149749579111268352[/tw]

He started on the bench and eventually took part in their recent friendly a couple of days ago.

xXKonan

Was interviewed by Dario Seville, about his aspirations is to improve and one day plays for Barcelona.

Some Betis fans on the Betisweb forums did not take it to well. But despite that some Betis fans on there like what he has shown during pre-season and think he could be a starter. I think Rubi could very well be a good coach for him to help sharpen up his defensive game.

Messi983

Had a good game on Friday against Porto, almost scored a great goal as well. He came off the bench yesterday against Portimonense early in second half and played around 15 minutes as a LB where he was a bit uncomfortable but then improved when moved to the right. The whole team (even with a lot of potential first-teamers) played worse after a lot of subs were made so Emerson didn't really look as good as in previous game but still think he deserves a positive grade overall.

As I've said before starting position is for him to lose as Barragan hasn't show much so far and Francis will probably be loaned out (he wasn't even in a match squad yesterday). Rubi could play a CB Mandi as a RB to give them more defensive stability against stronger opponents like Barça or RM but Emerson should play majority of the games as long as he's healthy and continues to improve.

xXKonan

What interests me from the comments Betis fans talked with is how good his technique is on the ball and going forward.

My impression from the HL video's I've watched before he came to Europe is he seems good on a technical level but I wasn't sure if his technique on the ball is good enough for a team like ours. But to be fair he is very young still and could improve.

If his technique is really good and he impresses at Betis this season, he Could get a real shot here down the line, considering how hard it is to find good RB's these days.

Messi983

Emerson scored a nice goal after a pass from Firpo in a friendly against Queretaro. Also, golaso by Kaptoum.

[youtube]X3hWg66piVA[/youtube]

xXKonan

You know I started looking at this deal closer and I struggle to think how Betis benefits from this on a financial aspect.

If he does show he is worth buying for around 9 million, Betis won't get much out of it. If anything this deal massively benefits us more than Betis does in that regard.

FinBarcelonafan

You know I started looking at this deal closer and I struggle to think how Betis benefits from this on a financial aspect.

If he does show he is worth buying for around 9 million, Betis won't get much out of it. If anything this deal massively benefits us more than Betis does in that regard.

I guess you could say they got him on a loan?

xXKonan

I guess you could say they got him on a loan?
It's a bit more complex than a loan in this case as what we and Betis did was to try and go around the Co-ownership deal ban.

At best they could make a 3 Million euro profit out of all this. On the Betisweb forums, you have guys on there that think they got the raw end of the deal on the financial aspect, especially if he ends up pulling Junior and has a breakout year.

Messi983

If he give them one or two good seasons it's probably still worth it for them from a sporting standpoint. I doubt he would sign for Betis without this co-ownership deal because there were a lot of clubs interested in him with some of them playing in CL (Leverkusen was among them IIRC). And 12M for a RB would probably also be too expensive for Betis.

What I found a bit strange is that neither Barça nor Betis (AFAIK) didn't make official statement about Emerson this summer about extending his loan/Betis buying him with Barça having buy-back option or whatever. It's still time but he's already playing friendlies for Betis. Well, what's important is that both clubs have made his contract situation clear to the league so we won't have problems.

xXKonan

Started for Betis vs Real Valladolid.

Defensively still raw but despite Betis losing, he didn't have that bad of a game and showed some good work rate and technique on the ball going forward.

Leo_Messi

I saw the second half of the Betis-Valladolid game and honestly speaking Emerson looked like a beast compared to Semedo in that half. With Betis being one player down moreover.
Provided 1 assist, could have had another assist and was a constant danger offensively while good defensively as well. Had a move where he dribbled 3 Valladolid players. Never seen Semedo have such a good half offensively to date. Stronger physically as well and taller.

Would be very surprised if Rubi would not prefer Emerson as his first-choice RB. Much better than a 32 year old Barragán already and likewise Francis.

If he continues his development we might have struck gold and finally found a RB that we could compare with Dani Alves even remotely.

Home of Barca Fans