Emerson

Porque

It seems the 18 year old Brazilian LB Luan we were monitoring will sign for Red Bull for 10m. Really questionable when we invested 12m in a position that has Bob, Nelson, Wague, Morey and not the other side with has XXXX, YYYY and ?????.

Messi983

It seems the 18 year old Brazilian LB Luan we were monitoring will sign for Red Bull for 10m. Really questionable when we invested 12m in a position that has Bob, Nelson, Wague, Morey and not the other side with has XXXX, YYYY and ?????.

First, you have to consider that Luan is probably thinking going to Leipzig is a better move at this point of his career than playing for Barça B and then going on loan because there is no way he would get first team minutes with Alba still playing on top level. Can't really disagree with him if that's the case.

Second, Alba is much better than anyone we have on the right. We need to find someone who can replace him for 10-15 games for the next season or two (veterans like Filipe Luis or Monreal) and then we'll probably buy someone who could replace him longterm. I think Barça still believes Miranda could be a starter in the future. I'm not as optimistic but we'll see how he'll develop.

On the other side, while both Semedo and Roberto are good players none of them should be seen as unquestionable starter (like Alba) and it's ok we're looking for upgrades. There are not many realistically available quality RBs out there though so going for diamond in the rough with cheap players like Wague and Emerson makes more sense than spending 50-60M on someone who might not be much of an improvement (if at all) over what we currently have.

That said, it's very likely we'll still bring a young LB for Barça B with rumours Miranda will leave on loan to La Liga team (I'm not sure this is a good idea but we'll see). There were rumours about another Brazilian named Riquelme a few weeks ago so it's possible we're considering him. He'll only turn 17 in summer so he could start playing for Juvenil A if we'd get him. I'm sure there are many other players on our radar too so missing on Luan won't be the end of the world.

Porque

First, you have to consider that Luan is probably thinking going to Leipzig is a better move at this point of his career than playing for Barça B and then going on loan because there is no way he would get first team minutes with Alba still playing on top level. Can't really disagree with him if that's the case.

Second, Alba is much better than anyone we have on the right. We need to find someone who can replace him for 10-15 games for the next season or two (veterans like Filipe Luis or Monreal) and then we'll probably buy someone who could replace him longterm. I think Barça still believes Miranda could be a starter in the future. I'm not as optimistic but we'll see how he'll develop.

On the other side, while both Semedo and Roberto are good players none of them should be seen as unquestionable starter (like Alba) and it's ok we're looking for upgrades. There are not many realistically available quality RBs out there though so going for diamond in the rough with cheap players like Wague and Emerson makes more sense than spending 50-60M on someone who might not be much of an improvement (if at all) over what we currently have.

That said, it's very likely we'll still bring a young LB for Barça B with rumours Miranda will leave on loan to La Liga team (I'm not sure this is a good idea but we'll see). There were rumours about another Brazilian named Riquelme a few weeks ago so it's possible we're considering him. He'll only turn 17 in summer so he could start playing for Juvenil A if we'd get him. I'm sure there are many other players on our radar too so missing on Luan won't be the end of the world.

Well, in defence of Luan, if Red Bull Leipzig are ready to take him now then it supports the ideal that he is a strong looking talent. There scouting department has been very effective.

Considering Albas age, having no backup and the LB pipeline it would of been wiser to be signing upcoming LBs than RBs. Bobby Semedo are not elite but they are good and not a priority to replace for example. While Wague looks very good at the same age as Emerson, another reason to question the latters investment.

But if were looking at Riquelme (who I am not going to even pretend I know anything about) and see him as a better prospect then fair enough.

All in all, I like the strategy of the Emerson deal but find it questionable that it is for the right player. But hopefully I am wrong and he develops incredibly over the next 18 months.

Messi983

I don't disagree with you.

My point is that from the club's perspective is understandable they are comfortable with Alba for at least the next two seasons so they'll most likely only get a cheap veteran backup. In the meantime they'll continue to scout LB market and also see how Miranda (and maybe even Cucu) will develop.

Porque

I don't disagree with you.

My point is that from the club's perspective is understandable they are comfortable with Alba for at least the next two seasons so they'll most likely only get a cheap veteran backup. In the meantime they'll continue to scout LB market and also see how Miranda (and maybe even Cucu) will develop.

I agree with this strategy. Mendy for example looks as limited as Semedo on the attacking front and does not strike me as the right option.

Messi983

Semedo is really a strange case. After watching him in Benfica a few times in his last season there he seemed to me like he's much better in offense than defense but now it's the opposite. I know it's a different system and he's often isolated when Messi moves in the middle and with Dembele playing mostly on the left recently. I've never expected him to be the next Alves but he's still disappointing offensively and hopefully he can improve that aspect of his game. Overall still a useful player who brings some much needed speed to the team but we should still look for possible upgrades over him and Bob.

Agreed about F. Mendy. Not a 50-60M player for me right now. I like Junior Firpo more but he has a lot of injuries this season. With Zidane coming back Marcelo will stay in Madrid so Betis will probably keep Junior for at least another year and we could see how he'll progress after (hopefully) overcoming injury problems.

khaled_a_d

Semedo is really a strange case. After watching him in Benfica a few times in his last season there he seemed to me like he's much better in offense than defense but now it's the opposite.

Same happened with Digne too. Remember many Calcio fans thought he was an offensive FB with no defense

xXKonan

The first thing I've noticed about Emerson is his size.

He definitely looks much more physical along with being taller than both Bob and Semedo. But I'm still not sure about his technical ability as a whole since we haven't really seen much of him yet.

Messi983

Emerson is starting his first game for Betis against Rayo.

15540285456425_660x0.jpg

Home of Barca Fans