Emerson

xXKonan

I saw the second half of the Betis-Valladolid game and honestly speaking Emerson looked like a beast compared to Semedo in that half. With Betis being one player down moreover.
Provided 1 assist, could have had another assist and was a constant danger offensively while good defensively as well. Had a move where he dribbled 3 Valladolid players. Never seen Semedo have such a good half offensively to date. Stronger physically as well and taller.

Would be very surprised if Rubi would not prefer Emerson as his first-choice RB. Much better than a 32 year old Barragán already and likewise Francis.

If he continues his development we might have struck gold and finally found a RB that we could compare with Dani Alves even remotely.
He has surprised me a bit no doubt.

His HL videos in Brazil weren't amazing but he possesses some physical and Athletic gifts while seemingly decent going forward. But HL videos don't always tell the story. From what I've seen so far he has surprised me a lot on how good his ability and overall technique on the ball.

If he keeps it up he could very well have a future here and he may end up being the answer to Dani Alves for the Brazilian National team once he hangs up his boots. The Right backs that Brazil has to back up Alves are all Limited as hell.

EdmondDantes

He's been called for Brazil U23 again.

Given the global scarcity of quality right-backs, he's looking more and more interesting. It probably wouldn't be too crazy an idea to see him in the squad next season.

In the Toulon tournament I was impressed with his one touch combination/passing with their right winger Antony. He's got a fierce engine on him as well.

Leo_Messi

I am not kidding when I say that he is probably already the better RB offensively than the likes of Semedo. Better defensively than Roberto too. Stronger and taller than both of them and arguably as athletic as Semedo.

Roberto is approaching 28 years old and was never an elite RB let alone a RB originally. Semedo is approaching 26 years within the next 2.5 months and is bang average offensively and nothing special defensively either.

On the other hand if the 20 year old Emerson continues to impress for Betis (Brazil youth teams as well and who knows he might get a call-up for the senior team within the next year if he keeps improving) and enjoys continuous playing time (as I wrote he is already better than the 32 year old Barragán and Francis as well so he should be playing whenever ready) there is no reason why we should not buy his full rights next summer.

Wague is pretty much an unknown and I highly doubt that he will feature regularly this season.

EdmondDantes

Yep, I agree. He's looking to be the type of player that develops quickly too. Who knows where he will be as a player with a full season under his belt at Betis.

[youtube]9hDcWyjLDl4?t=43[/youtube]

Emerson's assist that you mentioned [43 sec]

xXKonan

I theorized the club is willing to be content with Semedo as they watch and see how Wague and Emerson do or any other RB investment we make and to see if either ends up being good enough for first-team prospects.

I'm sure they are watching Emerson very closely no doubt.

Leo_Messi

I am not trying to compare Emerson and Dani Alves directly as the latter is arguably an all-time RB great or certainly in the top 3 however there are a few glaring similarities at first sight.

Both were practically unknowns before they moved to Europe. Alves had played 6 league games as an 18 year old for Bahia during the 2001 season (Brazil has a different league system where the league starts and end in the same calendar year) where the team ended 8th later to go out in the quarter-finals (Brazil back then had a playoff system to decide the league among the 8 best-placed teams in the league table) and in the next season (2002) he played 19 league games for a Bahia team that ended 3 points away from the relegation zone. Played an additional 6 cup games in his last season for Bahia.

Later to move to Sevilla at the age of 19 in January of 2003.

Emerson had a similar but earlier start to his career in Brazil. Playing some 48 games in the span of 3 seasons for 2 teams (Ponte Preta and Atlético Mineiro). 26 of those games in the Série A, 16 of them in the regional state leagues and 6 cup games. Scoring 2 goals (Alves scored 4 in his time in Brazil).

Later for Emerson to move to Spain (in the winter transfer window as well), Sevilla more precisely, at the age of 19 as well.

At 20 Alves got his debut for Brazil U20. Playing 7 official games. Received his international debut 3 years later.

Emerson on the other hand got his Brazil U20 debut as a 18 year old (back in 2017) and featured in 11 official games. Earlier this year he got his Brazil U23 debut (highest level before the senior team) and has so far played 4 official games and being the first choice during the prestigious Toulon Tournament that Brazil and him won.

Not saying that he will follow Alves' trajectory (lol) but it is nevertheless a good beginning. People forget that Alves moved to Barça when he was 25 years old. It took a bit of time for Alves to establish himself in Spain. In other words Emerson (if he should follow suit) would have 5 seasons of proving his worth for Betis and growing as a player and person.

Ideally of course he will prove that much sooner. Maybe even from next season on? Here is hoping as I was never convinced by Roberto as a RB (massive downfall after the Alves era) and neither by Semedo.

Anyway what a crack Dani Alves was!

[youtube]_SRRBYTnQVA[/youtube]

[youtube]0pXprYJu4Ds[/youtube]

[youtube]JdP0x_ABA1A[/youtube]

Young aspiring RB's across the world should be watching such videos to get inspiration.

Last edited:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Attacking-wise, Alves might be a once in a lifetime talent as a FB. People will mention a lot of other players like Roberto Carlos, Lahm, Cafu, whatever, but attacking wise no one is close to Alves.

Marcelo at his best is mighty good, but Alves in his prime was just a different beast. Never seen anything like it.

Attacking-wise, Alves might be a once in a lifetime talent as a FB. People will mention a lot of other players like Roberto Carlos, Lahm, Cafu, whatever, but attacking wise no one is close to Alves.

Marcelo at his best is mighty good, but Alves in his prime was just a different beast. Never seen anything like it.

Alvez and Roberto Carlos are the crack of all cracks. None of these other guys even come close, especially not Marcelo who only had a few years at a high level.

xXKonan

What I found interesting is a couple of the younger Full-Backs we own or part-own(Emerson) are all around 6-6'1 inches tall.

Emerson 1.83(6'0)

Junior 1.84(6'0)

Miranda 1.85(6'1)

It's been a while that we may have potentially a good lineup of tall Full-backs. For the past decade, we have been used to the likes of Shorter Full-backs such as Adriano, Alves, Montoya, Alba, Douglas, Digne, Semedo, Roberto, and now Wague and With Abidal being an outlier at 6'1.

I mean it's pretty common to see tall full-backs but for us, it's been a while.

EdmondDantes

What I found interesting is a couple of the younger Full-Backs we own or part-own(Emerson) are all around 6-6'1 inches tall.

Emerson 1.83(6'0)

Junior 1.84(6'0)

Miranda 1.85(6'1)

It's been a while that we may have potentially a good lineup of tall Full-backs. For the past decade, we have been used to the likes of Shorter Full-backs such as Adriano, Alves, Montoya, Alba, Douglas, Digne, Semedo, Roberto, and now Wague and With Abidal being an outlier at 6'1.

I mean it's pretty common to see tall full-backs but for us, it's been a while.

I remeber Klopp, in his first year at Liverpool, when they were leaking all sorts of goals, and he said: "the only way to stop us conceding silly goals like that is to have taller players, and I can't make the ones I currently have grow taller so it's an issue we'll deal with with time" or something like that"

Besides the fact their back 5 at the time was rubbish, he did indeed sign taller players for his defense as well as 6'3 Fabinho as his DM. Couple that with the fact their front 4 has always been very good, they are where they are now.

I'm OK with us signing taller defenders as long as they can first and foremost play football. There's no point signing non-footballers just because they're physical beasts, which is what Liverpool have not done. Fabinho for instance is technically sublime.

Riordon

Good to hear he is doing great. Will try to see some Betis this year, would be nice if he can develop into a great RB because I don’t rate neither Roberto or Semedo. And market is dire. Atal is great but that’s about it.

Home of Barca Fans