Jean-Clair Todibo

Sorin

Reminds me of Mina in the way he moves and tackles. Doesn't seem to have that much of a pace either. Wouldn't surprise me to see us make the same kind of deal. Buy him for a small fee and after a year of two we'll sell him for profit. Probably a loan spell first and unless he really impresses he goes to a mid level team for 30-40 million. Meanwhile the corpse of business man Pique and gimp Umtiti will still be our first choices.

Leo_Messi

Reminds me of Mina in the way he moves and tackles. Doesn't seem to have that much of a pace either. Wouldn't surprise me to see us make the same kind of deal. Buy him for a small fee and after a year of two we'll sell him for profit. Probably a loan spell first and unless he really impresses he goes to a mid level team for 30-40 million. Meanwhile the corpse of business man Pique and gimp Umtiti will still be our first choices.

I can't see anything special about him either. Judging from the video posted in this thread that is. I don't believe that he will be a long-term option or the new Varane as ridiculously claimed. Todibo does not seem to have even remotely the same pace as Varane. Let alone him being a long-term replacement for Piqué or a real alternative to de Light. Quite frankly such claims are ridiculous as he has played what, 10 senior games in his career so far at the age of 19? Of course there is a chance that he will prove me wrong and become an established player and long-term successor of Piqué within a few seasons but I likewise believe that the board sees him as a low-risk transfer opportunity than anything else. Not much more than that.

I just can't see why another club would spend money on an unknown like him, should the club buy him this January or in July, when he will most likely warm the bench for the first team (if that can do it) or play in the third division. If the rumors are genuine, which they appear to be, this might likely be Abidal's idea and he might see something special in him.

His transfer or arrival for free next July can't really be compared with the Mina purchase as Mina was a much, much more established player.

Todibo has shown far, far less in his career than several compatriots of his who are in the same age group as him. Think about Konaté and Upamecano in Leipzig alone.

Anyway I would obviously wish him the best of luck should he arrive for a small fee next month or for free in July. It would be a strange move for me though.

Last edited:

krakdol

I'm French, I watch a lot of football and you still manage to find young players I don't even know. I have no idea who this guy is.

To be fair, I watch a bit less Ligue 1 and more Liga and PL these days.

Please let us keep a few okay young players in France, they're already leaving by truck loads. It's kinda hard keeping a competitive league when every year, every single half good player leaves.

khaled_a_d

Quite frankly such claims are ridiculous as he has played what, 10 senior games in his career so far at the age of 19?

He was starter at the age of 18 in a mid-table club in France before being sent back to reserve team after refusing to renew. Varane played 24 games in season starter at club getting relegated at the age of 17 (1 year younger) I do think it is fair to make comparison with Varane. Players get compared for less tbh.

I can't see anything special about him either. Judging from the video posted in this thread that is. don't believe that he will be a long-term option or the new Varane as ridiculously claimed. Todibo does not seem to have even remotely the same pace as Varane.

Hard to judge from videos, he did seem to have great acceleration in the video especially in tight spaces, and able to produce in tight areas well. His quickness in spaces was almost absent in the video so I really have no clue how he compares with Varane, if he has a comparable pace to Varane/VVD he then has that perfect body/physical tools for CB. At his age he will then has amazing potential as world class CB. If he isn't quick enough then he still enough tools for CB. De Ligt himself isn't fast or quick by any mean. Todibo looked faster to me actually

I just can't see why another club would spend money on an unknown like him, should the club buy him this January or in July, when he will most likely warm the bench for the first team (if that can do it) or play in the third division. If the rumors are genuine, which they appear to be, this might likely be Abidal's idea and he might see something special in him.

With Barca,RM,Manu,Juve, Schalke & Napoli all have interest in him, he surely isn't unknown for scouts. He is also very young and for the fact he is basically free transfer, there is no gamble in him. V

Varane actually warmed the bench in his 1st year in RM, Roberto warmed the bench for 3 years here and still turned out fine. Many young players has to into a phase of warming the bench at some point of their career, and if they are good enough they are capable of moving from the bench in year or two.

Abidal has French bias for sure, but at the end Zidane had that to some extent and that was the reason he pushed for Varane transfer in 2011 and turned out fine. Abidal moved between LB and CB for good portion of his career and I would trust his opinion in players in that positions. Zubi wasn't the best Sporting director and still was able to find MATS and believe in him, we were linked to him since he was 20 and not many clubs after him.
At the end, with 6 months in his contract, Todibo present a low risk high reward investment, that can't be said on Konaté,Upamecano & De Ligt.

Joan

Barcelona will wait till the winter market to accelerate the signing of Jean-Clair Todibo. Todibo will not renew his contract at Toulouse and Barcelona are well placed to land the Frenchman ahead of Juventus, Napoli, RB Leipzig , Schalke 04 and Lyon [Mundo Deportivo - @ffpolo]

Found this. Any news on this guy? Who's leading the race, Juve or us?

Jombi

Are Verm and Umtiti deffo out for the whole season?

None of those can be relied upon. We only have two CBs left (not counting Murillo). We need to rely on four. Umtiti's career might be over because of the injury almost a year ago and Vermaelen is probably the most injury prone player we've ever had.

Donatello

Nearly every big club (RM, Bayern, Juve, Liverpool etc) is interested in him. Probably because its a low risk high reward.

If we get this guy for the rumoured price of around 3-4M, it will be a brilliant piece of business.

Leo_Messi

He was starter at the age of 18 in a mid-table club in France before being sent back to reserve team after refusing to renew. Varane played 24 games in season starter at club getting relegated at the age of 17 (1 year younger) I do think it is fair to make comparison with Varane. Players get compared for less tbh.

Hard to judge from videos, he did seem to have great acceleration in the video especially in tight spaces, and able to produce in tight areas well. His quickness in spaces was almost absent in the video so I really have no clue how he compares with Varane, if he has a comparable pace to Varane/VVD he then has that perfect body/physical tools for CB. At his age he will then has amazing potential as world class CB. If he isn't quick enough then he still enough tools for CB. De Ligt himself isn't fast or quick by any mean. Todibo looked faster to me actually

With Barca,RM,Manu,Juve, Schalke & Napoli all have interest in him, he surely isn't unknown for scouts. He is also very young and for the fact he is basically free transfer, there is no gamble in him. V

Varane actually warmed the bench in his 1st year in RM, Roberto warmed the bench for 3 years here and still turned out fine. Many young players has to into a phase of warming the bench at some point of their career, and if they are good enough they are capable of moving from the bench in year or two.

Abidal has French bias for sure, but at the end Zidane had that to some extent and that was the reason he pushed for Varane transfer in 2011 and turned out fine. Abidal moved between LB and CB for good portion of his career and I would trust his opinion in players in that positions. Zubi wasn't the best Sporting director and still was able to find MATS and believe in him, we were linked to him since he was 20 and not many clubs after him.
At the end, with 6 months in his contract, Todibo present a low risk high reward investment, that can't be said on Konaté,Upamecano & De Ligt.

He has played 10 senior games (not sure how many of those 10 appearances are full games, I doubt that it is the majority without checking it) at the age of 19. That is not uncommon for talents in Ligue 1 at all.

By the age of 19, Varane (who I rate as the best central defender in the world when fit) had already played 39 senior games (scoring 4 goals in the process). 15 of those games were played for a relatively stacked RM team. I would not compare them at all.

I am not saying that he does not look promising. I was comparing him with de Light (as he seems to be an alternative) or the likes of Konaté and Upamecano. I can definitely spot the talent and I am getting slight Varane vibes (if just I could see how quick Todibo is in comparison) but that's about it.

My point is that I prefer not to gamble here as we can hardly afford such a thing. Piqué will turn 32 within one month. Vermaelen will leave this summer. We have no idea if Umtiti's knee problems will be chronic or not. If that is the case we will need to replace him. Murillo is not good enough (I am willing to conclude that already). Certainly not worth paying 25 million euros for. This leaves us with Lenglet.

I rather buy a more established talent, say the likes of de Light, Konaté, Upamecano etc. and a finished product if Umtiti's knee is messed up long-term. Buying Todibo for cheap this month or waiting until his contract expires this summer, would not be the end of the world, but I struggle to see where he would fit. The club would have to count on him from the very beginning and give him regular playing time from next season onwards. In other words, I doubt that the club would be willing to "gamble" on 2 CB talents. It's either 1 "established" CB and 1 emerging CB talent, not 2 established CB talents or 2 emerging CB talents. At least this is how I see it.

In such a case the question here would be whether Todibo is worth to gamble on instead of the likes of de Light, Upamecano or Konaté (who are all in his age group). I certainly know which option I would prefer.

Last edited:

serghei

I say it's about time we wise up and start signing talents without having to pay through the fecking roof. It's not like De Ligt and De Jong are the only big talents out there. If we think this Todibo will be the real deal get him. We've done good job at spotting good CBs with Umtiti and Lenglet being quality signings.

raki

I say it's about time we wise up and start signing talents without having to pay through the fecking roof. It's not like De Ligt and De Jong are the only big talents out there. If we think this Todibo will be the real deal get him. We've done good job at spotting good CBs with Umtiti and Lenglet being quality signings.

French market is full of pearls. Abidal is an asset we can use to lure of those players for cheaper prices. I dont see any downside, only upside.

Home of Barca Fans