Jean-Clair Todibo

Porque

He has got good defensive talent but his distribution is lacking. Long road to being a Barcelona starter, but get him a loan as he has a very high ceiling.

xXKonan

Fernando Polo (MD) says if we don't sign De Ligt, the club won't go for another young CB and Todibo will stay with the team.

jairzinho

Getting De Ligt would be great but Pique, Lenglet, Umtiti, Todibo should be good for next season, granted Umtiti stays fit.

If De Ligt comes in Todibo should be loaned out. Makes no sense having him in the stands most of the time.

Porque

I like what I see with Todibo, but I won't put my hopes too high on him. And going into next season with a back four consisting of Umtiti who could be crocked and Todibo as 3rd/4th options would be a mistake.

Todibo isn't even starting for France in the U20 World Cup for example, and when he did play in the non-decisive third game, it was as defensive midfield.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Apparently several clubs have shown interest in signing Todibo and we are listening to the offers. If we sell him without a buyback clause it would be another piece of evidence that we have turned into a piece of laughing stock. No young player would want to sign with us in the future since we will just sell him to another club six months later. We are not Monaco or Porto.

This kid is very good and has the potential to be a great player in my opinion. He definitely needs minutes, loan him out like Real Madrid did so many times with no friggin’ buy option, why can’t we do that?

Andresito

Staff member
How come he hardly played in the U20 World Cup?

It's like Marlon who also looked impressive during the end of the season before leaving for a mid-tier club.

Andresito

Staff member
He did I believe and was subbed out because of an injury, I think.

He didn't play the first two group games in which France won. So I guess he played against Mali because they were already through and in that game he was subbed off in the 31st minute.
After that he didn't play the knockout game against USA which France were knocked out.

BBZ8800

Apparently several clubs have shown interest in signing Todibo and we are listening to the offers. If we sell him without a buyback clause it would be another piece of evidence that we have turned into a piece of laughing stock. No young player would want to sign with us in the future since we will just sell him to another club six months later. We are not Monaco or Porto.

This kid is very good and has the potential to be a great player in my opinion. He definitely needs minutes, loan him out like Real Madrid did so many times with no friggin’ buy option, why can’t we do that?

Why would we be a laughing stock and why would young players avoid us?

1. if a player turns to be good enough=a win-win, he will be the happiest player in the world
2. if a player turns out to be not good enough for us=we will resell him for the same amount of for even more

Do you know players which career we have ruined? Players who were treated badly here but turn into winners in the next BIG club?
Denis got a chance to play here. We didn't ruin him. He just sucks and he would suck in any big club.
Gomes also.
Marlon also.
Mina also.
Halilovic also.

Those players also get their name hyped and get a chance for more lucrative offers from midtable teams because they came from a mighty Barca.

Your "problem" is because you are assuming that every signing is a player good enough for us and that THEN coaches and Barto are idiots for not giving 30-50 matches to that young "gem" to prove himself.

Again, our club is not ONLY Barto or Ernesto.
We have 10s or 100s of coaches, scouts and guys who are doing a scouting and assessing job their whole life.
In 90% of cases, if Malcom, Mina, Marlon, Todibo and similar are not playing=there is a strong reason for that.
If they will get sold soon=there is a very strong reason for that.
There will always be one KDB here and there, but in general, our coaches and 10s scouts in a technical staff are not idiots.

So, if they have already gave up from Todibo, they probably assessed that he is ok, but not good enough for Barca (and it is not worth to invest too much time and chances in him, but to turn to another hit-and-miss-lottery signing).

People whined at EV for being an idiot for not playing Mina.
We fooled Everton, but now, 1 year later, it seems that Mina is a total fraud and he will be shipped to a Turkish 1st division.
Today, it is way clearer why "stupid Ernesto" didn't trust to Mina.
Because Mina sucks for Barca's standards and a coach and his technical team have figured that out after watching him for 2 weeks at training grounds.
Our fans, as always, needed waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more time to figure out that a player is actually not good enough for us.

Or Marlon. Played for a 11th placed Sassuolo this season.
I haven't followed him, but stats say that he played as a starter in the first part of a season and he didn't play much in the 2nd half.
I don't know whether he god injured or just dropped down in the pecking order.

Now, if you listened to our fans, they would say:
1) if we gave chances to Mina (30-50 matches)=maybe he would have improved and turned into a player good enough for us.
Well, a future confirmed that he wouldn't improve.
He just sucks.
And actually, NOT PLAYING him was a good move and our staff actually were quite correct about him and his true future potential. Unlike our fans.

2) Marlon? The same.
People will say: if we gave him 1-2 seasons, he would have improved, but we have IDIOTS as coaches and as technical staff.
But again, they were right.
They figured out quite soon that Marlon is just meh for the highest level and not worth it.

A lesson for the future: when guys like Malcom, Arthur and Puig are not playing (or are not called by youth NT coaches like Alena and Arthur), always ask yourself:
1) is it everyone else's fault: a coach is dumb, a coach hates him, we are idiots in developing young players, we have no vision, youth NT coaches hate him for some reason
2) or WAY MORE LIKELY: these players have obvious flaws which coaches, technical staff and NT coaches can see right away. But our fans will figure it out in 2-3-4 years.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Why would we be a laughing stock and why would young players avoid us?

1. if a player turns to be good enough=a win-win, he will be the happiest player in the world
2. if a player turns out to be not good enough for us=we will resell him for the same amount of for even more

Do you know players which career we have ruined? Players who were treated badly here but turn into winners in the next BIG club?
Denis got a chance to play here. We didn't ruin him. He just sucks and he would suck in any big club.
Gomes also.
Marlon also.
Mina also.
Halilovic also.

Those players also get their name hyped and get a chance for more lucrative offers from midtable teams because they came from a mighty Barca.

Your "problem" is because you are assuming that every signing is a player good enough for us and that THEN coaches and Barto are idiots for not giving 30-50 matches to that young "gem" to prove himself.

Again, our club is not ONLY Barto or Ernesto.
We have 10s or 100s of coaches, scouts and guys who are doing a scouting and assessing job their whole life.
In 90% of cases, if Malcom, Mina, Marlon, Todibo and similar are not playing=there is a strong reason for that.
If they will get sold soon=there is a very strong reason for that.
There will always be one KDB here and there, but in general, our coaches and 10s scouts in a technical staff are not idiots.

So, if they have already gave up from Todibo, they probably assessed that he is ok, but not good enough for Barca (and it is not worth to invest too much time and chances in him, but to turn to another hit-and-miss-lottery signing).

People whined at EV for being an idiot for not playing Mina.
We fooled Everton, but now, 1 year later, it seems that Mina is a total fraud and he will be shipped to a Turkish 1st division.
Today, it is way clearer why "stupid Ernesto" didn't trust to Mina.
Because Mina sucks for Barca's standards and a coach and his technical team have figured that out after watching him for 2 weeks at training grounds.
Our fans, as always, needed waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more time to figure out that a player is actually not good enough for us.

Or Marlon. Played for a 11th placed Sassuolo this season.
I haven't followed him, but stats say that he played as a starter in the first part of a season and he didn't play much in the 2nd half.
I don't know whether he god injured or just dropped down in the pecking order.

Now, if you listened to our fans, they would say:
1) if we gave chances to Mina (30-50 matches)=maybe he would have improved and turned into a player good enough for us.
Well, a future confirmed that he wouldn't improve.
He just sucks.
And actually, NOT PLAYING him was a good move and our staff actually were quite correct about him and his true future potential. Unlike our fans.

2) Marlon? The same.
People will say: if we gave him 1-2 seasons, he would have improved, but we have IDIOTS as coaches and as technical staff.
But again, they were right.
They figured out quite soon that Marlon is just meh for the highest level and not worth it.

A lesson for the future: when guys like Malcom, Arthur and Puig are not playing (or are not called by youth NT coaches like Alena and Arthur), always ask yourself:
1) is it everyone else's fault: a coach is dumb, a coach hates him, we are idiots in developing young players, we have no vision, youth NT coaches hate him for some reason
2) or WAY MORE LIKELY: these players have obvious flaws which coaches, technical staff and NT coaches can see right away. But our fans will figure it out in 2-3-4 years.

BBZ, you write too much and I didn't bother reading your entire message. I think your message will hit home a lot more if you write less and be precise.

Why are we going to be a piece of laughing stock? Because we signed a player, didn't give him many chances to prove himself and 6 months later we are selling him (assuming if we sell him without buy-back clause). Your whole point (without even reading three quarters of your post) is he is not good enough, right? How the heck did they know he is not good enough? He did well in those very few games he played (Catalan Supercopa for example). He didn't do well in training? That alone makes us want to sell him? Anyways, if we are saying he is not good enough, then what the hell was our scout thinking? Shouldn't they have been more careful and prudent?

What is even the point of signing him in the first place if he isn't good enough? Are our scouts and sporting department folks a bunch of idiots?

What is the point of buying a player and selling him several months later? Are we going for the resale values?

BBZ8800

Because we signed a player, didn't give him many chances to prove himself and 6 months later we are selling him (assuming if we sell him without buy-back clause). Your whole point (without even reading three quarters of your post) is he is not good enough, right? How the heck did they know he is not good enough? He did well in those very few games he played (Catalan Supercopa for example). He didn't do well in training? That alone makes us want to sell him? Anyways, if we are saying he is not good enough, then what the hell was our scout thinking? Shouldn't they have been more careful and prudent?

What is even the point of signing him in the first place if he isn't good enough? Are our scouts and sporting department folks a bunch of idiots?

What is the point of buying a player and selling him several months later? Are we going for the resale values?

I have explained all why's in a previous post.
Shorter, one more time:
1. Our club is not only EV.
We have 10s or 100s of coaches, assistants, scouts and directors.
They are watching and assessing players, their potential, their pros and cons and their chances for a success here.
2. Why did we buy him or similar players?
= because he was a good, cheap opportunity.
We are not UNICEF who is concerned about happines and development of our kids (players).
A kid was cheap. And had potential.
From a business point of view, we paid him 5-10m, right?
1. If he'll make it=we bought a gem for cheap
2. If he'll be meh for Barca, but good for EPL midtable teams=we'll sell him for 15-30m and earn some easy money
3. If he'll suck badly, which is unlikely=we will sell him for 2-5m and recoup some money.

So, why did we bought him?
= because he was a good market opportunity
Why are we not playing him?
= because 10s of our coaches changed their mind after watching him for a few Months on training grounds and they decided: he probably won't be good for us, but he will be good for Everton
If you ask: how do they know that.
= well, they are doing that for 30-40-50 years. They have more knowledge and experience than you and me.
They have worked with 100-1000s Todibos during their careers.
You will ask: but WHY did we buy him then if they think that he is average?
= again, he had potential and he was cheap.
You get more information about player's true abilities, IQ, personality, potential when you watch him every day in tackles on your training grounds.
Not to mention that he played only 830 minutes in his career at Toulouse.
And:
1) scouts can't predict too much from 800 minutes
2) plus, he played in a different league against weaker opponents
After signing for us, our staff had 1000s of hours of material of him defending against Messi and our players on training grounds
=to get info for a decision=what is his true potential, and should we keep him and wait or cash on him and move on to the next Todibo and Marlon.

Btw, I have nothing against Todibo.
This guy looked more promising than Mina or Marlon.
I am just giving you answers to 100s of why's.
Since people will ask the same question regarding young players until the end of time.

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I have explained all why's in a previous post.
Shorter, one more time:
1. Our club is not only EV.
We have 10s or 100s of coaches, assistants, scouts and directors.
They are watching and assessing players, their potential, their pros and cons and their chances for a success here.
2. Why did we buy him or similar players?
= because he was a good, cheap opportunity.
We are not UNICEF who is concerned about happines and development of our kids (players).
A kid was cheap. And had potential.
From a business point of view, we paid him 5-10m, right?
1. If he'll make it=we bought a gem for cheap
2. If he'll be meh for Barca, but good for EPL midtable teams=we'll sell him for 15-30m and earn some easy money
3. If he'll suck badly, which is unlikely=we will sell him for 2-5m and recoup some money.

So, why did we bought him?
= because he was a good market opportunity
Why are we not playing him?
= because 10s of our coaches changed their mind after watching him for a few Months on training grounds and they decided: he probably won't be good for us, but he will be good for Everton
If you ask: how do they know that.
= well, they are doing that for 30-40-50 years. They have more knowledge and experience than you and me.
They have worked with 100-1000s Todibos during their careers.
You will ask: but WHY did we buy him then if they think that he is average?
= again, he had potential and he was cheap.
You get more information about player's true abilities, IQ, personality, potential when you watch him every day in tackles on your training grounds.
Not to mention that he played only 830 minutes in his career at Toulouse.
And:
1) scouts can't predict too much from 800 minutes
2) plus, he played in a different league against weaker opponents
After signing for us, our staff had 1000s of hours of material of him defending against Messi and our players on training grounds
=to get info for a decision=what is his true potential, and should we keep him and wait or cash on him and move on to the next Todibo and Marlon.

Btw, I have nothing against Todibo.
This guy looked more promising than Mina or Marlon.
I am just giving you answers to 100s of why's.
Since people will ask the same question regarding young players until the end of time.

I didn't bring up Valverde at all.

How come he did well in those few games he played? Those coaches and assistants and scouts and directors know something we don't? Sure they do, but considering how many flops they have bought in the last several years I doubt it.

Anyways, I would be very disappointed if we sell him without a buy-back, without giving him more chances to grow, improve and impress. The message we are sending out to the whole wide world will be: When you are signing with FC Barcelona, you are not necessarily signing with FC Barcelona, especially if you are young and relatively cheap. Soon you will end up in another club.

Home of Barca Fans