17 - Jeison Murillo

EdmondDantes

This lad is surprising me. Not given a sniff at Valencia, not even making the bench this season if I'm not mistaken and yet he seems a sound, technical defender.

Night and day difference with Mina, Jeison doesn't look out of place here. Great squad option.

Andresito

Staff member
We should have a sound rotation in the coming weeks.

Lenglet-Piqué in the league and Murillo in the Copa together with Piqué/Lenglet playing one game each.

Porque

If you read about his performances with Inter and then Valencia, the jist is that he is very good for the first 6 months then drops off a bit for whatever reason.

Given that, it was astute to get him for 6 months.

I would think twice about getting him for 25m though. Although if Valverde trusts him then half of his battle is won.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Would be nice if one backup CB could play LB or RB. 25 mil. is tad too much for 4th option CB.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Is he being disciplined or something? Heard a commentator mention something along the lines.

xXKonan

In Valverde's eyes, he's basically the 5th choice behind Pique, Umtiti, Lenglet, and Verm.

Verm's fit again so he's not making the bench despite being our Veteran 2nd RCB.

soul24rage

With Todibo's arrival + Vermaelen and Umtiti being back, this loan now makes zero sense.

I think Murillo is still useful as he's the only CB who's right footed besides Pique so he's essentially Pique's back up. I doubt Todibo will play much or at all for the rest of the season. Vermaelen is a back up for Lenglet and we're still not sure when Umtiti will be back in full game fitness.

Leo_Messi

With Todibo's arrival + Vermaelen and Umtiti being back, this loan now makes zero sense.

Too soon to tell. Todibo is most likely going to play very rarely if ever for the senior team. I expect him to mostly play for the B team while training regularly with the senior team. He might get a few 5-10 minute appearances here and there but that will be about it, I imagine.

He is more of a long-term project if he succeeds and likely the (on the short term) replacement for Vermaelen. From the 2020-21 season onwards he might take Piqué's place or at least fight with Lenglet for somewhat continuous playing time. It's difficult to predict this far into the future, especially given Umtiti's uncertain future (for now) but that is my qualified guess on the club's short-term plans for him.

Either that or a sale of him with a profit similar to the Yerry Mina transfer although that was a special case given Mina's World Cup performances. Todibo being French, is unlikely to get such exposure anytime soon.

Murillo's recent exclusions from the squad lists are a bit strange, as noticed by the local papers as well, but I think that he will feature more than Todibo will. After all he was a direct petition by Valverde.

In any case I doubt that the club has any wish to trigger Murillo's buyout clause.

Last edited:

YodaMaster

I think Murillo is still useful as he's the only CB who's right footed besides Pique so he's essentially Pique's back up. I doubt Todibo will play much or at all for the rest of the season. Vermaelen is a back up for Lenglet and we're still not sure when Umtiti will be back in full game fitness.

Well if Umtiti's fitness is a liability, it's a different story. But both Valverde and Sam seem to be optimistic about that case.

Regarding Todibo, he's supposed to be a promising prospect. If we can't trust him to be the 4th or 5th defender right now, it's a bit disappointing. Murillo isn't a world beater neither, he was a benchwarmer at Valencia at 26 years of age.

Either way I recently started to think that if the board really wants De Ligt, maybe they signed Todibo just to make money on him just like what happened with Mina (6 months at Barca then sold for good money). We'll see how good Todibo performs first.

And I don't think playing with 2 left footed defenders really is problematic. Most of teams play with 2 right footed CB's.

Too soon to tell. Todibo is most likely going to play very rarely if ever for the senior team. I expect him to mostly play for the B team while training regularly for the senior team. He might get a few 5-10 minute appearances here and there but that will be about it, I imagine.

Well I expected him to be in B team for the next 6 months too but apparently he signed with A team. And not sure players with A team contracts could regularly play with B team. We'll see.

In any case I doubt that the club has any wish to trigger Murillo's buyout clause.

I hope so. We don't really need him. We already have 2 young and confirmed defenders with Umtiti and Lenglet + a young promising guy in Todibo. And I'm still hoping De Ligt wil end up at Barca too.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans