CL | Round 6: Barca - Tottenham 1-1

Leo_Messi

Can't complain too much about Valverde's decision making tonight. As written earlier I would have liked to have seen Puig in action and a few other minor additions. As expected it was a strange game. You can't really make any lasting conclusions out of this game at all. The game might as well not have been played. Probably that option would have been the best option if possible. At least no new injures and no loss. I won't bother evaluating how player x or y performed other than what I wrote in some of the player threads.

Speaking about statistics (rather irrelevant), the team equaled Bayern's all-time record of 29 unbeaten home games in a row in the CL.

Alena will never make it here or at any other top club. Already know this after watching 1 full game of him against a good side. Nothing to do with "getting used to teammates" or "needs right coaching" either. You see some actions, how he has difficulties controling a simple bouncing ball and it's obvious he's nothing special. The next Samper.

Far too soon for such conclusions. Using that logic, Xavi and Iniesta should have never been given more than the few opportunities that they were given initially as they did not set the world alight initially either contrary to popular opinion. Obviously the probability of local talents succeeding (as in establishing themselves) is much, much smaller than the opposite so your prediction is not saying much and is the obvious prediction by default.
Have in mind that I don't believe that Aleñá will ever become a world beater but I can't see why he could not become a useful squad member down the line (if given the chance) as Roberto and Rafinha (if not for continuous injuries) before him. I rather have a local canterano in the squad that is familiar with the inner workings of the club, the playing style and who "bleeds" for the club rather than a squad player of a similar level from abroad that the club had to buy elsewhere.

Last edited:

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
-1544570488723.jpg

Ursegor

World Champion
Far too soon for such conclusions. Using that logic, Xavi and Iniesta should have never been given more than the few opportunities that they were given initially as they did not set the world alight initially either contrary to popular opinion. Obviously the probability of local talents succeeding (as in establishing themselves) is much, much smaller than the opposite so your prediction is not saying much and is the obvious prediction by default.
Have in mind that I don't believe that Aleñá will ever become a world beater but I can't see why he could not become a useful squad member down the line (if given the chance) as Roberto and Rafinha (if not for continuous injuries) before him. I rather have a local canterano in the squad that is familiar with the inner workings of the club, the playing style and who "bleeds" for the club rather than a squad player of a similar level from abroad that the club had to buy elsewhere.

Xavi and Iniesta were special and it was apparent. Iniesta was 1 year older than Alena when he came on at half time in a CL final and played one defense splitting pass after another, including the assist for the equalizer. At 22, Real Madrid were ready to splash 60 million on a 22 year old Iniesta (Alena will be 21 next month) at a time when the world record fee was not even € 80 million.

And this was Xavi in a Clasico in 2000 when he was Alena's current age:

[youtube]t1peOsBWdAE[/youtube]

Xavi was actually awarded the La Liga Breakthrough Player of the Year Award when he was younger than Alena.

Of course you are right, predicting "this and that youth player will fail" has a high chance of becoming true as most of them fail but I didn't say it to brag about it later once it turns out like that anyway. Just gave my opinion for the first time on Alena. And of course he could become a squad player if Deniz Suarez, Rafinha and Roberto managed it.

Unfortunately Thiago was the last La Masia player who impressed every single time when he played. Him and Isco looked like Messi playing against kids for the Spain youth teams.

Calidad

What stood out for me yesterday is that we looked out coached.

We’re getting results through moments of individual abilty currently, but there doesn’t seem to be a coherent style of play. Tottenham have lesser players, but played some nice one touch football with good movement.

Everything looks lethargic, static, slow.

eaman

What stood out for me yesterday is that we looked out coached.

We’re getting results through moments of individual abilty currently, but there doesn’t seem to be a coherent style of play. Tottenham have lesser players, but played some nice one touch football with good movement.

Everything looks lethargic, static, slow.

They didn't have lesser players last night they had a strong team who have played with each other on many occasions. We had a mostly second string who haven't played together at all really. Also we didn't need any points so our intensity was not as high as theirs as they were fighting for their lives

Leo_Messi

Xavi and Iniesta were special and it was apparent. Iniesta was 1 year older than Alena when he came on at half time in a CL final and played one defense splitting pass after another, including the assist for the equalizer. At 22, Real Madrid were ready to splash 60 million on a 22 year old Iniesta (Alena will be 21 next month) at a time when the world record fee was not even € 80 million.

And this was Xavi in a Clasico in 2000 when he was Alena's current age:

[youtube]t1peOsBWdAE[/youtube]

Xavi was actually awarded the La Liga Breakthrough Player of the Year Award when he was younger than Alena.

Of course you are right, predicting "this and that youth player will fail" has a high chance of becoming true as most of them fail but I didn't say it to brag about it later once it turns out like that anyway. Just gave my opinion for the first time on Alena. And of course he could become a squad player if Deniz Suarez, Rafinha and Roberto managed it.

Unfortunately Thiago was the last La Masia player who impressed every single time when he played. Him and Isco looked like Messi playing against kids for the Spain youth teams.

I know about the early history of Xavi and Iniesta at the club as I partially (as in not watching every single game but at lot of them - too young to watch every single game back then during the mainly wonderful Gaspart era, if we exclude Xavi's first 2 seasons) witnessed it firsthand.

However you have to remember something here. Times have changed a lot. To begin with it is much less common for homegrown talents to emerge in such a young age and to receive that much of playing time before they turn 20. Not only that the competition back then, expectations and overall level was nowhere near close (or at least not comparable with all due respect) to what we are currently witnessing and have for the past many years.

Aleñá has played a total of 278 minutes this season for the first team. 147 of those minutes came against Cultural Leonesa in the Copa del Rey. No need to further elaborate here why that gametime is not saying much. 90 of those 272 minutes game last night in a more or less meaningless match where a totally new lineup that Valverde most likely will never use again was used. The remaining 41 minutes were against Villarreal where he scored that great goal.

Last season he played 225 minutes for the first team. All of them in the Copa del Rey. 166 of those minutes were played against mighty Real Murcia. Same story as the Cultural Leonesa games. The remaining 59 minutes were played against Espanyol away where, as I recall, he had an overall good performance in another makeshift team that eventually lost that game 1-0 if my memory serves me right.

During the 2016-2017 season (where he received his first team debut) he played a grand total of 116 minutes. 76 of those coming against Hércules CF away where he scored a great goal in his debut. The remaining 40 minutes came in the league against Granada CF away in the 29th round when the result was 1-3 and he got a total of 3 minutes of playing time. That game ended 1-4. The next round he received 10 minutes of playing time against Sevilla at home when the team was leading 3-0 which also was the final result. His last minutes (27) came against Osasuna at home when the team was leading 4-1. The game ended 7-1.

A grand total of 562 first team minutes of which only 161 of those minutes (the game last night, the 41 minutes against Villarreal 10 days ago and the 40 minutes in the league during the 2016-17 season against the likes of Granada, Sevilla and Osasuna) can be called meaningful (and that is stretching it in at least 2 or 3 of those games) in any way and that is not saying much considering last nights game and our bad performance against Villarreal exemplified with Messi's apathetic walking on the field.

That's about all he has to his name so far. All I am saying is that it is rather soon to claim that he will turn into X or Y player. Some players are late bloomers. Others (most) need continuous playing time in meaningful games to develop accordingly. Consistent playing time in other words.

Iniesta and Xavi (no comparisons here but I am just using them as examples) were by no means setting the world alight 562 minutes into their Barça careers. That is all that I am saying and obviously Iniesta was the greater talent back then (more apparent at least) while Xavi, although clearly talented, was very much doubted in the local media as I recall it (I was quite young back then but I still remember some games quite clearly and what the media and fans were saying). Having said all this it is unfair for anyone to be compared to Xavi and Iniesta as such comparisons are doomed for failure 99,99% of the time if you are Aleñà or another young talent.

As for Samper, with all due respect to him, Aleñà has already shown much more than Samper ever has and ever will. Not only for the first team but for Barça B as well where he has been the best performer continuously for 2 seasons. Samper emerged at a time when everyone (read local media and a large part of our fanbase) thought that every new talent would become the new Xavi, Iniesta, Alves, Messi etc. (lol) and Samper's greatest fame and attribute was that he had played in all possible categories for the club. That and him being a central midfielder which made comparisons with Xavi natural for that lot of people that love to create hyperboles left and right.

Last edited:

serghei

Lol if we compare every young kid with Xavi and Iniesta we might as well close La Masia alltogether. Alena is more than good enough and talented enough to grow and at least become a player like Sergi Roberto is right now. At the very least.

Tottenham are a top 10 side and they went all in in this game. Alena played well overall.

Besides, there's also Valverde factor. No young raw player could ever become great under him. if he managed us in 2008, Busquets would've had the career path of Oriol Romeu probably, catching 300-400 mins a season due to Yaya Toure starting 99% of the available games.

Just lay back, and imagine Valverde had physical beast prime Yaya Toure and unproven raw Busquets to choose from for the DM spot. Seriously now, what's the logical thing that would've happened?

Last edited:

KingLeo10

Leo_Messi is Azor Ahai to BBZ's white walkers. Just when it looked like this forum would fall under an eternal fetishism with height, muscles, alpha maleness, and 'football IQ', there is a glimmer of hope :lol::lol:

Zidane82

I know about the early history of Xavi and Iniesta at the club as I partially (as in not watching every single game but at lot of them - too young to watch every single game back then during the mainly wonderful Gaspart era, if we exclude Xavi's first 2 seasons) witnessed it firsthand.

However you have to remember something here. Times have changed a lot. To begin with it is much less common for homegrown talents to emerge in such a young age and to receive that much of playing time before they turn 20. Not only that the competition back then, expectations and overall level was nowhere near close (or at least not comparable with all due respect) to what we are currently witnessing and have for the past many years.

Aleñá has played a total of 278 minutes this season for the first team. 147 of those minutes came against Cultural Leonesa in the Copa del Rey. No need to further elaborate here why that gametime is not saying much. 90 of those 272 minutes game last night in a more or less meaningless match where a totally new lineup that Valverde most likely will never use again was used. The remaining 41 minutes were against Villarreal where he scored that great goal.

Last season he played 225 minutes for the first team. All of them in the Copa del Rey. 166 of those minutes were played against mighty Real Murcia. Same story as the Cultural Leonesa games. The remaining 59 minutes were played against Espanyol away where, as I recall, he had an overall good performance in another makeshift team that eventually lost that game 1-0 if my memory serves me right.

During the 2016-2017 season (where he received his first team debut) he played a grand total of 116 minutes. 76 of those coming against Hércules CF away where he scored a great goal in his debut. The remaining 40 minutes came in the league against Granada CF away in the 29th round when the result was 1-3 and he got a total of 3 minutes of playing time. That game ended 1-4. The next round he received 10 minutes of playing time against Sevilla at home when the team was leading 3-0 which also was the final result. His last minutes (27) came against Osasuna at home when the team was leading 4-1. The game ended 7-1.

A grand total of 562 first team minutes of which only 161 of those minutes (the game last night, the 41 minutes against Villarreal 10 days ago and the 40 minutes in the league during the 2016-17 season against the likes of Granada, Sevilla and Osasuna) can be called meaningful (and that is stretching it in at least 2 or 3 of those games) in any way and that is not saying much considering last nights game and our bad performance against Villarreal exemplified with Messi's apathetic walking on the field.

That's about all he has to his name so far. All I am saying is that it is rather soon to claim that he will turn into X or Y player. Some players are late bloomers. Others (most) need continuous playing time in meaningful games to develop accordingly. Consistent playing time in other words.

Iniesta and Xavi (no comparisons here but I am just using them as examples) were by no means setting the world alight 562 minutes into their Barça careers. That is all that I am saying and obviously Iniesta was the greater talent back then (more apparent at least) while Xavi, although clearly talented, was very much doubted in the local media as I recall it (I was quite young back then but I still remember some games quite clearly and what the media and fans were saying). Having said all this it is unfair for anyone to be compared to Xavi and Iniesta as such comparisons are doomed for failure 99,99% of the time if you are Aleñà or another young talent.

As for Samper, with all due respect to him, Aleñà has already shown much more than Samper ever has and ever will. Not only for the first team but for Barça B as well where he has been the best performer continuously for 2 seasons. Samper emerged at a time when everyone (read local media and a large part of our fanbase) thought that every new talent would become the new Xavi, Iniesta, Alves, Messi etc. (lol) and Samper's greatest fame and attribute was that he had played in all possible categories for the club. That and him being a central midfielder which made comparisons with Xavi natural for that lot of people that love to create hyperboles left and right.

Anyone know how the ages of our young up and coming midfielders compare to Arthur's age ??

CatalinR10

from today all your misfortune will be my joy, you will never win anything in Europe again. Fuck Barcelona and all the Catalan.
Remember this quote

Fuck you all!!

my dude your team is full of cucks , you had only one job , to win vs fucking last place team lmao .

Home of Barca Fans