Full Name: Ibrahima Konaté

Date of birth: 25 May 1999 (age 19)

Place of birth: Paris, France

Height: 1.92 m (6 ft 4 in)

Club: RB Leipzig

Playing position: Centre-back

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibrahima_Konaté

https://www.transfermarkt.com/ibrahima-konate/profil/spieler/357119

I watched him for the first time last Sunday alongside Upamecano against Borussia Mönchengladbach at home (betting says hello) and he was an absolute beast. Rarely do I witness such a superior defensive performance. I did not know anything about him. Judging by that performance alone, I hope that our scouts have him on their radar and that the club is thinking about him as an possible option should Ajax transfer de Ligt to another club. In short, I was very impressed. Looking at his stats, age, physical profile etc. even more so. I honestly had "Varane" vibes when I saw him in action. One to watch out for without a doubt.

Not many videos about him out there, sadly. Much less hype too. It will come though.

Rated rather highly by WhoScored as well it seems this season.

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/345957/Show/Ibrahima-Konaté

Last edited:

Leo_Messi

I did not catch the Bayern-Leipzig game but apparently he did rather well. Upamecano was at fault for that rather unfortunate clearing judging from the highlights. I genuinely think that he is a very exciting prospect. There is not much talk about him let alone him being linked with Barça but I very much like the player profile and I would be surprised not to see him take another step forward in his career soon. Him establishing himself as a starter for Leipzig (one of the very best teams in the Bundesliga) this quickly in his first stint abroad is a great beginning.

Did anyone here watch yesterday's game?

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I did not catch the Bayern-Leipzig game but apparently he did rather well. Upamecano was at fault for that rather unfortunate clearing judging from the highlights. I genuinely think that he is a very exciting prospect. There is not much talk about him let alone him being linked with Barça but I very much like the player profile and I would be surprised not to see him take another step forward in his career soon. Him establishing himself as a starter for Leipzig (one of the very best teams in the Bundesliga) this quickly in his first stint abroad is a great beginning.

Did anyone here watch yesterday's game?

I did but did not pay much attention to him since he was completely outshined by Upamecano as he was the guy who did most of the chasing, shielding and clearing.

Can’t really fault Upamecano for the Bayern’s goal as it was quite unfortunate. I have liked Upamecano for a while and he seemed to have further developed as he is becoming really good. I think we should go for him if we can’t get De Ligt.

Leo_Messi

I did but did not pay much attention to him since he was completely outshined by Upamecano as he was the guy who did most of the chasing, shielding and clearing.

Can’t really fault Upamecano for the Bayern’s goal as it was quite unfortunate. I have liked Upamecano for a while and he seemed to have further developed as he is becoming really good. I think we should go for him if we can’t get De Ligt.

I did not watch the match as I wrote but Whoscored's rankings of Konaté and Upamecano are not too far apart so not sure if Konaté was "completely" outshined.

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1...018-2019-Bayern-Munich-RasenBallsport-Leipzig

Moreover Whoscored have given Konaté a higher average rating than Upamecano this season so far. Not only in the Bundesliga but in the Europa League as well.

Well, to me it was a very bad clearance that Ribéry picked up and scored on. An elementary mistake. You don't clear the ball towards your own penalty box this close to the goal. You just kick the ball out for a corner.

Not only that Upamecano's positioning just before the goal was very poor as well.

Nevertheless both seem to be interesting talents that should take the next step ahead in their careers and move to a better league and club. However from what I have seen so far Konaté seems, at least to me, as the more interesting talent. A much better physique, looks quicker, more commanding and almost 1 year younger. Anyway time will tell.

Last edited:

Leo_Messi

Normally I rarely if ever watch Bundesliga games outside of the few top games involving Bayern and Dortmund but I decided to watch the Leipzig-Werder first half to watch Konaté in action. It's fair to say that he has absolutely bossed the first half so far. Won all duels, made a few great through passes etc. Upamecano has been benched btw. Not going to watch the second half but will take a look at various ratings after the game.

Werner has been good as well. He might be one of the better strikers out there and a potential Suárez successor.

Last edited:

xXKonan

Interestingly enough, he shares the same agent as Todibo does if Transfermarkt is correct.

Porque

Interestingly enough, he shares the same agent as Todibo does if Transfermarkt is correct.

French football is producing an incredible amount of talent currently. There is Sarr too who we have been linked with before and Zagadou of Dortmund. It is probably better to have a sporting director with France expertise (Abidal) than Netherlands (Jordi) given the overall current development spectrum.

About Todibo, sharing the same agents mean that Konate has been mentioned to us in passing conversation. Especially easier if the agent gets a good commission from the Todibo deal and the opportunity to have long term deals with Barcelona.

Respekt_III

CyaWouldntWannaBeYa
I'd prefer these types of signings to be Honest to the super hype some other players get. If he's a decent fee we should sign him up.

Respekt_III

CyaWouldntWannaBeYa
We have:
lenglet / 23/left foot
Tobido /19/right foot
Umtity /25/left foot - faulty knee
Konate /19/right foot
Adding another right footed defender isn't an issue at all imo.
Pique is close to his use by date as well.

Leo_Messi

Missed the game against Dortmund tonight as I choose to watch the Huesca-Atlético game.

However Ibrahima Konaté received the highest rating of all Leipzig players by Whoscored one again. 7.8. Upamecano only received 6.9.

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1...2019-RasenBallsport-Leipzig-Borussia-Dortmund

Of course I cannot conclude anything based on that alone other than him likely having a great game once again. Against another top opponent.

Screw de Light, let Abidal do his magic and get a countryman.

Jair Ventura

Missed the game against Dortmund tonight as I choose to watch the Huesca-Atlético game.

However Ibrahima Konaté received the highest rating of all Leipzig players by Whoscored one again. 7.8. Upamecano only received 6.9.

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1...2019-RasenBallsport-Leipzig-Borussia-Dortmund

Of course I cannot conclude anything based on that alone other than him likely having a great game once again. Against another top opponent.

Screw de Light, let Abidal do his magic and get a countryman.

Lusting after yet another French player I see.

Leo_Messi

Lusting after yet another French player I see.

Yes, what is new? Your troll attempts are very poor. I have never questioned the quality of this current French generation of players. Nor is Konaté playing in your beloved Ligue 1. Actually he left for a better league to develop and it seems that decision was spot on given his growth as a player and interest from clubs like Napoli for him. What a shame that he is not rooting in Sochaux in the second division, no?

Home of Barca Fans