Who do you want as Barça manager next season?

Who should be Barça new coach?

• García Pimenta

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Thierry Henry

Votes: 6 5.2%
  • Pablo Machín

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Quique Setién

Votes: 29 25.2%
  • Eusebio Sacrístan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mark Van Bommel

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Mikel Arteta

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Abelardo Fernandez

• Rubi

• Laurent Blanc

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Robert Martinez

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 12 10.4%
  • Giovanni Van Bronckhorst

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Other

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • None. I want to keep Valverde as manager

Votes: 15 13.0%

• Total voters

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Don't worry, we'll probably sign another La Liga manager not up for the job, keep winning league titles, but go out in the QFs in the CL.

DonAK

We almost won the league(should have won, thanks Lahoz) with Tata with a fat Messi, a malnourished Neymar and no Suarez.

It's almost like having Messi and this team is a guarantee of league titles. Probably going to be 10 in the last 15 this season. :shrug:

What can you do for us with regards to the CL, playing entertaining football and keeping players accountable is what I'm after.

messi2140

6racies Xavi
We almost won the league(should have won, thanks Lahoz) with Tata with a fat Messi, a malnourished Neymar and no Suarez.

It's almost like having Messi and this team is a guarantee of league titles. Probably going to be 10 in the last 15 this season. :shrug:

What can you do for us with regards to the CL, playing entertaining football and keeping players accountable is what I'm after.

This part should be pinned in the Valverde thread.

Yeah in last three times only 3 times Barca doesnt won league title.

11/12: Because Ronaldo was out of the world that season, Messi was even a bit better but the defense from Barca was weaker than RMs.
13/14: Because of Lahoz!!!
16/17: Because Real Madrid has the biggest luck ever, so many last minute goals from Ramos and Ronaldo

Leo_Messi

Before appointing any manager the board better come up with a well-functioning sporting project (at last) so there will be a cohesion between the sporting project, the manager (who is trying to implement the sporting project in practice) and the players (squad). Until that is not fully solved names will only do so much.

In recent years (ever since Pep left or more precisely ever since Laporta left and Cruyff stopped being an advisor) the manager (as otherwise in the Cruyff model) has not had the power he needs to have. It's been unclear for years if player tranfers and sales are the work of the manager or the board. Hence the lack of a well-defined sporting project and long-term planning and visions.

Can someone please tell me what the current sporting project is about other than continuous economic growth and Galáctico signings? Where is the thread of consistency? I can't spot it. Where is the long-term planning? Has the board lined up a replacement for Valverde (most likely when it will become necessary this summer)? Do they even have a clue what type of managerial profile they would want to have? Have they discussed with manager x or y about the sporting project, what changes the manager x or y would want to make, which players he would want to buy? Or is the board only working on the Valverde option?

I can see in which direction clubs like Man City and Juventus are moving towards but us? Not really.

Once that has been reestablished we can discuss which manager to appoint. Otherwise the next choice will just be another Valverde (yes-man) that can only do so much in the circumstances that he manages in.

I can't fathom why the club (board) stopped what has almost always worked in the past. This is not only about results which have been overall great (in particular domestically) ever since 2012. It's much bigger than just that.

Pep was almost a nobody back in 2008 managerial wise notwithstanding his succesfull 1 year stint with the B-team the season prior. But he had a well-defined sporting project and Laporta was clever and brave enough to trust him and not to interfere too much but rather help him with implementing that new sporting project. Once Rosell emerged this began to change. Later to cease to exist as I see it at least. For instance what was the sporting project during the Tata era exactly once again? The only exception was Lucho's two first years and that can be argued against moreover.

Anyway I want us to follow the Pep/Zidane/Henry etc. approach. A former player (ideally someone that the squad can look up to and who they automatically will respect as well) with new brave ideas. Someone that has the capacity to kickstart a new exiting project and era. Setién is not that guy as I see it although I admire his footballing philosophy.

I would like to see Xavi at some point in time but my only fear is that he is too one-dimensional (too inflexible tactically in other words) but that might very well be unfounded "fear". Moreover he seems stuck in Qatar (godforsaken place) for now due to the money that he earns.

Anyway a bit shocked to see Quique Setién being the favorite. Other than being a Spaniard, having experience domestically and playing entertaining and offensive football he has shown nothing to warrant such a challenging and tough managerial position. Valverde in comparison was much more experienced and accomplished. Not that this is saying much though.

Last edited:

DonAK

I'll add Erik ten Hag to this list.

Yes, I know Ajax have shipped in a lot of goals after the winter break and they're behind PSV in the league, but sooner or later we just have to try something different and be brave about our choices if we have to move on from Valverde.

Anyone that's watched Ajax this season knows how fluid and fast they move the ball with real purpose. And it's not one-dimensional either.

FinBarcelonafan

I'll add Erik ten Hag to this list.

Yes, I know Ajax have shipped in a lot of goals after the winter break and they're behind PSV in the league, but sooner or later we just have to try something different and be brave about our choices if we have to move on from Valverde.

Anyone that's watched Ajax this season knows how fluid and fast they move the ball with real purpose. And it's not one-dimensional either.

I loved watching Ajax play vs Real. It felt like watching young Barca team.

Home of Barca Fans