Luka Jović

Andresito

Staff member
Yes he's non-EU as has been pointed out in the thread before. Born in Bosnia with a Serbian citizenship, none of which are in the EU.

MessiDinho10

Might be countries part of the EEA. Iceland and Norway for instance are part of this international agreement, and players from those countries do not count as non-EU. Bosnia and Serbia however are not a party to this treaty.

Raketa10

50M today is basically the same in "real value" as 30M before Neymar/PSG have f*** up the market.

We are looking for a new Paco (bench player at first with a hope he can develop into something more) but situation is different than in 2016. Suarez is 3 years older and in a clear decline so whoever we'll bring should have (on paper) better chances (than Paco) to stay here longterm and become Suarez's potential future replacement. We won't know if Jović is/will be good enough but after watching him more closely over the past few weeks he's my prefered option. He's much more mobile than people give him credit for and while not great technically he's very good in link-up play and he should only improve in that aspect playing with Messi/Dembele instead of his current team mates. Those were my main concerns about Jović when he first emerged as our potential target but now I'm convinced that he will fit into our team.

We are past the fase when we could use just a cheap veteran backup (like F.Llorente for example) and have to do something both short-term (next season) and long-term. Suarez can't play 50-60 games/season on a top level anymore, I would be more than happy if we can get him to be on a good or at least respectable level for 30-40 matches next season (and even more so if he'll perform in the "right" games). Suarez needs more rest but hopefully new guy will also be good enough to get playing time away from him if he'll be out of form. He'll have to convince Messi first though. :messi:

I see your point but we live in a fucked up world if 50 mil is a fair price for a backup striker who will play every now and than. I also think that we'll need to buy a new world class CF because Suarez isn't one anymore and Jovic for sure isn't a starter material. Who will that be I don't know but only Kane who is not a realistic option comes to my mind.

Messi983

If you are non-EU = you count as non-EU.

Except for most (if not all) African and Caribean Nations (Cotonou agreement).

For what it's worth I've checked FM 2017 and it says Serbia is treated as EU Country.

I see your point but we live in a fucked up world if 50 mil is a fair price for a backup striker who will play every now and than. I also think that we'll need to buy a new world class CF because Suarez isn't one anymore and Jovic for sure isn't a starter material. Who will that be I don't know but only Kane who is not a realistic option comes to my mind.

How do you know that?

Andresito

Staff member
Except for most (if not all) African and Caribean Nations (Cotonou agreement).

True true.

The Cotonou Agreement plus these countries count as 'EU':
Montenegro, FYR Macedonia, Serbia, Turkey, Ukraine, Algeria, Armenia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Georgia, Russia, Morocco, Tunisia, Moldova and Albania.

So in conclusion Jovic would not take up a non-EU spot.

Joan

So you want to tell me you see him as a starter material? A guy who wasn't good enough to play for Benfica? A guy who had ONE good season so far in a mid table German team? Honestly?
Always starts with one, doesn't it? Players sometimes fail at certain clubs, doesn't mean they're not good enough to succeed elsewhere. He's still very young.

I don't know much about Jovic, have seen him only a few times. But for a reasonable price, why not?

Arizona Scott

The dude is 21 and his highest level is a mid waged bundesliga club. He may or may not become barca starting caliber. But that is the case for anyone unless you have around 200 mil and the other team wants to sell--e.g. mbappe, neymar, salah, kane, maybe sane.

I like the idea of jovic (or pepe, or felix or werner, or richarlson) a lot better than around 100 for dybala (who couldnt play with messi for the nt), icardi, lewa, martial, rashford, jesus, etc,

I do like mane sort of in between costs and ages but i cant think liverpool would want to sell and we have that embargo with them anyway (applies to salah and firmino as well).

Home of Barca Fans