Luka Jović

Fati_Future_BallonDor

I have to say atleast Braith was on fire when he play for barca while Jovic looked like a dead man on the pitch when he got time. Of course Zidane should have used him a lot more but i missed the fire from him.

BarcaOG

Banned

he was so lacklustre whenever he had a chance that after not playing much he was sent back to germany. if you are good enough to play striker for real freaking madrid, you bet your ass you need to make a strong impression whenever given the chance. he totally failed to do that. look at riqui puig, for example. koeman doesnt rate him at all and gives him garbage minutes. but whenever he plays, he looks great, and leaves us all wanting for more.

can you really say the same about jovic? honestly? do you think hes real madrid striker material? i know you're not a fan of benz but at least benz scores...somewhat regularly. but i dont want to get caught up in the benz comparison. on the merits of jovic's performances, do you really think he showed what it takes to be a real madrid player?

KingLeo10

Me watching Jovic back on loan in the German farmlands like:

mXB4Zrt.jpg

El Gato

Villarato!
The amusing thing about this argument is that the same people who poke fun at Jović here were just as pissed off Alcacer hadn't been given more time.

As per most cases of a young striker, they don't tend to hit the ground running without a conscious time investment. Take Jesus at City - played great to start with, waned off with people sounding off 'Aguero is so much better' and has now become a starter. The most Jović got is 3 starts in a row in Jan 2020 and 2 starts this autumn. There is literally no sample size to say categorically he failed. People have doubts in saying Hazard failed and he played x times more minutes. What did he fail to do? Score a goal from the bench when coming on? I feel like this is the only thing everyone would rate in those conditions, because they expect him to do something in 5 Benzema didn't for 85 in a given game. Ridiculous standard for an unpolished player. Of course he showed next to sodall. What should he show when he plays 5 mins per game on average?
I would argue he has serious glimpses of quality when there is a true hint fair rotation is on the cards. He played very well vs Osasuna in Sep 2019 where he had a goal waived off. He played very well vs Betis this autumn where he caused Emerson to get sent off. The backheels to set up a Bale goal vs Villarreal and another spring to mind. There is enough to think talent and proactiveness is there. But it needs time. All well and good to argue 'well he's not going to get it at Madrid'. Which is a piss poor justification considering players like Asensio get the time despite playing shit until they finally do have a good stretch of games and Rodrygo and Vazquez both outperforming him in the meantime.

As for Benzema, Jović is younger and will be better. Benzema will not and is only as good as a fat finished Suarez. Bunch of people will claim he's a team player, he's this, he's that, does far more than scoring goals... Look at what this current squad (which will not change until Mbappe turns up) needs -> it needs a direct striker, someone who consistently looks to break the line and doesn't come down to get the ball just to pretend he's involved and creates openings for others.

Spot a Madrid player:
g2cxwoc5a2b61.jpg

Last edited:

BarcaOG

Banned
really wolfe? do you honestly think jovic is a real madrid-calibre player? what's in it for you that you cant see what bloody everyone else sees? did you bet on this or something? you post a lot of insightful stuff in this forum but this... this makes no sense. just let it go man. jovic didnt work out.

BarcaOG

Banned
What does that mean to you?
Was Kovacic a Real Madrid calibre player in 15/16?
Vinicius?

He'll be back in 6 months. Wait for it.

2 goals in 32 games is really really poor, no matter how you look at it. if he is as good as you think he is, he would have impressed when given the opportunity. elite players--the type that are supposed to play at clubs like real and barcelona--do exactly that. jovic didnt.

but fine, we'll just have to disagree here. we'll see when his loan is up!

El Gato

Villarato!
No it isn't poor. Flat appearances is a shit measure, look per minutes played.
He has more shots and more key passes per 90 minutes of play than Benzema. Most shots per 90 minutes in the team. Highest xG90 in the team. Highest NPxG90 (non-penalty) in the team.

You still haven't said what 'Real Madrid-calibre player' means to you. What does Jović have to do in the time given that you would consider a reasonable measure of success?

Andresito

Staff member
No it isn't poor. Flat appearances is a shit measure, look per minutes played.
He has more shots and more key passes per 90 minutes of play than Benzema. Most shots per 90 minutes in the team. Highest xG90 in the team. Highest NPxG90 (non-penalty) in the team.

You still haven't said what 'Real Madrid-calibre player' means to you. What does Jović have to do in the time given that you would consider a reasonable measure of success?

Well.. a few more goals? Sure minutes may be scarce but evidently he has been getting into good scoring positions with those stats you mention.

El Gato

Villarato!
Few more. Yeah. 2 more, 1 in each season to be precise considering the measured underperformance. I can agree. Has 2 goals in ~500 minutes of league football, should have 4. Mad difference that would make to people's perception of him.

This is circular, I'm losing interest in it when the accusations are so vague and people literally choose to block out his good performances and focus on his return to measure his impact.

Andresito

Staff member
Few more. Yeah. 2 more, 1 in each season to be precise considering the measured underperformance. I can agree. Has 2 goals in ~500 minutes of league football, should have 4. Mad difference that would make to people's perception of him.

This is circular, I'm losing interest in it when the accusations are so vague and people literally choose to block out his good performances and focus on his return to measure his impact.

I'm not saying Zidane's treatment is correct. Scoring another 1-2 goals wouldn't have made him a success but it would've made it harder to bench him, thus leading to more minutes.

But can't imagine it's been easy for Jovic.

Home of Barca Fans