Luka Jović

Barcilliant

I like him. Sign ASAP.

We signed Coutinho for 160 million. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

60 million is worth the risk.

Zidane82

I like what I’ve seen .., great technique and awareness plus he looks as strong as a bull . Didn’t get very much service from his teammates tonight to be fair to him

xXKonan

I'd bite the bullet and sign him.

A lot of the big teams like ours are facing the same problem with aging Number 9's. If we don't act now, someone else is going to like Real. really sucks that the striker market is just so limited these days.

Saladin

His top speed this season is clocked at 21 mph. Same as Cristiano Ronaldo (for Juventus) - pretty decent for a CF.

Raketa10

First of all I can't understand how can some people claim that 50-60 mil is cheap for a backup striker when we bought a generational talent De Jong for 75 mil and we'll bid 60 mil for another generational talent De Ligt. Both of them are seen as a future undisputed starters while Jovic is a huge gamble and no one exactly knows what to expect from him in the long term. Secondly claiming that we'll just sell if he doesn't succed here is stupid as it gets. We are not good at selling players and Jovic had one good season so far so if he flops here he won't be worth nowhere near the amount we'll pay for him.

Market went nuts and prices more than quadrupled but our revenues didn't so we need to be careful and we can't throw money out of the window all of the time. People in this forum would buy basically anyone just for the sake of buying since we don't have a backup for Suarez not to mention some of you even started calling him the next Suarez. I am out of this thread for now, this is just another hype train.

Last edited:

God Serena

Whether he's the right option or not, 50m is absolutely nothing in comparison to the hundreds of millions we've spent on some truly terrible players. Bringing Coutinho in at 160m was an "at all costs" type of signing and the guy isn't even better on the wing than an out of position Carles Alena who has only been with the first team for 3 months. And if we don't take some sort of risk in bringing in a new striker we're doomed to suffer another straight year of Suarez struggling to control a ball just so he can play every minute of every game until he puts in one or two good games and "Silences" the haters.

Bringing in De Ligt, De Jong, and Jovic would be the perfect transfer window.

God Serena

First of all I can't understand how can some people claim that 50-60 mil is cheap for a backup striker when we bought a generational talent De Jong for 75 mil and we'll bid 60 mil for another generational talent De Ligt. Both of them are seen as a future undisputed starters while Jovic is a huge gamble and no one exactly knows what to expect from him in the long term. Secondly claiming that we'll just sell if he doesn't succed here is stupid as it gets. We are not good at selling players and Jovic had one good season so far so if he flops here he won't be worth nowhere near the amount we'll pay for him.

Market went nuts and prices more than quadrupled but our revenues didn't so we need to be careful and we can't throw money out of the window all of the time. People in this forum would buy basically anyone just for the sake of buying since we don't have a backup for Suarez not to mention some of you even started calling him the next Suarez. I am out of this thread for now, this is just another hype train.

Jovic would at worst be sharing minutes with Suarez, who is far past the point of being able to start in every game. If he doesn't succeed then it sucks, but we've wasted more money and worse transfers plenty of times in the past and most certainly will plenty of times in the future. If he does succeed, however, he'd likely take over the starting role by the end of the year and we'll be secured on the striker front for nearly a decade. Well worth the gamble.

Havesaks

Raketa
De jong will cost 90m in the end. And de LigtAlp least 80m. Jovic is probably not on the same level but 50m sounds reasonable.

De jong also only had 1,5 year in dutch football...

Also you put it wrong: he wont be a starter, Suarez will be starter next season. Jovic will be a quality back-up. Suarez is still good enough to our nr 1, especially with more rest and a Young prospect ready to take his place. We dont waste time, because no better option is around - or do you have someone in mind?
He will probably First be a starter in 2 years time and if not we will get someone better. And sell him with a small loss.

Havesaks

Wasnt griezmam at same age not found good enough by our management - "to small". And he was also a late bloomer.

Arizona Scott

Couple of other things.

Jovic is excelling in a much better league than De Ligt or FDJ, and he is a striker which carries an extra premium. The idea he is all that more likely to flop than those 2 is quite speculative. It is possible none will become Barca quality--none are as proven as Suarez or Coutinho for that matter, though we like our chances.

GodSerena I and with you on this one, anything less than 80 is fine. Mostly plausible worst case he extends Suarez career and helps the load while in 3-4 years time we have a new ambition for a superstar (Mpabbe off his PSG contract or someone else). Best case is he is a 10 year fixture as a Barca quality #9 and lights it up. Anything in between is good too.

I am just curious and trying to compare speed of Jovic and Werner. I have seen reports of Werner at 35KMPH and Jovic at 21MPH (which converts to 33.8) but I don't know how accurate this reports are. However I will say I thought it was very impressive how quickly and lethally he got to De Vrij header to the goalie, and despite De Vrij had a better angle it didn't matter. On Barca's squad I'd thing only Dembele or possibly Alba or Messi would get there that quickly.

Last edited:

Barcilliant

He doesn't eat at the same table as Griezmann or Hazard but he'd be better than signing nobody

Griezmann and Hazard are not real 9s. Barca always need a pure striker. Weve always been better with a Kluivert, Eto and Suarez. Last thing I want is A forward line of false nines.

Home of Barca Fans