Copa 22/23

El Gato

Villarato!
China is the way to go then. I doubt the US would splash enough cash to convince them otherwise.

Depends I guess. If they already have a good TV deal there then there is no point. What's the breakdown of Chinese support of European clubs? [MENTION=13941]Luftstalag14[/MENTION] any idea? Seems to me they want to target somewhere with a large viewership potential where Premier League are either non-existent (which is near impossible but Latin America is as good as) or blatantly outcompeting La Liga i.e. former British colonial territories.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Depends I guess. If they already have a good TV deal there then there is no point. What's the breakdown of Chinese support of European clubs? [MENTION=13941]Luftstalag14[/MENTION] any idea? Seems to me they want to target somewhere with a large viewership potential where Premier League are either non-existent (which is near impossible but Latin America is as good as) or blatantly outcompeting La Liga i.e. former British colonial territories.

In terms of Chinese support of European clubs, it is hard to measure exactly how many fans are out there for each league (or each club for that matter) and some of the numbers that I have seen being thrown around are quite outlandish, for example Bayern claiming they alone have 90m supports in China and La Liga claiming they have 120m fans in China etc, which are way too high in my opinion. Below is my stab at a slightly different question when I was talking to Leo_Messi in a different thread:

If I have to rank the popularity of the European Big 5 leagues ( as a whole) in China and profile each fanbase based on my anecdotal experience, I would probably say this:

(1) EPL (both older fans and younger fans)
(2) Bundesliga (both older fans and younger fans)
(3) La Liga (mostly younger fans)
(4) Serie A (mostly older fans)
(5) Ligue 1 (younger fans I assume and probably not that many at all)

La Liga has room to expand in China for sure, in my opinion. Currently La Liga games are broadcast on a dozen local TV channels throughout China and are also streamed online by PPTV. Not all games are aired by the TV channels, only a selected few as far as I understand. Most people turn to PPTV to watch La Liga games but there have been a lot of complaints about that platform from streaming speed to commentating. The biggest hurdle though for La Liga expansion in China, in my opinion is the game time. Most EPL and Bundesliga games are played before midnight Beijing time (China's only time zone) here so naturally you have more viewers. Only die-hard Barca and Real Madrid fans get up at 3:45 am in the morning to watch those later games.

Cule4life

The Culest
The Chinese pretty much ban anything that's controversial so there's a huge market there to tap into for an audience being deprived of entertainment. :pep:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Southeast Asia is completely dominated by the EPL. Try there (like Malaysia and Indonesia).

India would be a great place too.

Qatar is too small.

Last edited:

Morten

Congrats, sleepwalking to another cup-final.
Can only hope your Juventus-esque performances wont do in CL, didnt work the last few years.

soul24rage

Between Valencia and Real Betis, who do we want as our opponent in the final? I would prefer Betis as I think Betis will be more open than Valencia. On the other hand, we face them in their own stadium.. Difficult to choose.

Messi983

Between Valencia and Real Betis, who do we want as our opponent in the final? I would prefer Betis as I think Betis will be more open than Valencia. On the other hand, we face them in their own stadium.. Difficult to choose.

This could be also a disadvantage for them because of additional (mostly own created) pressure to perform well and win at their stadium. On paper both teams will get same number of tickets but it's expected there would be more Betis fans on the stands. Still not a true home field advantage like in league games.

Based on a pure matchup on the pitch I also think it would be easier to play against Betis but I expect Valencia to go through. Anyway, we are usually fully focused and motivated for Copa finals so I think we will win relatively easy against whichever opponent we'll play.

Home of Barca Fans