The Best FIFA Football Awards 2018

gasgas

The bolded part is the key of what I've been talking about. He was good in a good team with probably more talent in every position than in any other NT and he had a competent coach, but was mbappe better than the other key players like Varane, Umtiti, Griezmann, Kante, Pogba and etc.? For me, I would say that the likes of Griezmann, Kante and Varane were just as important if not more important than Mbappe while Messi was literally in a two man team with MATS last season and without either of those two, I don't think we wouldn't have gotten La Liga. If you rewind back in August of last year, critics were saying that Barca wouldn't win the league and Copa with Neymar's departure, Real's great season in 16/17 and with a new manager. I think the way we won the league was great considering the circumstances with Messi topping every attacking stats there is and he was one game away from being known as the invincible. It's obvious that you don't rate La Liga (and you have the boldness to call me bias :cool:) so I don't think whatever I say will make a difference to you so I'll leave to that.

yeah even when Messi won consecutive Ballon d'ors he was very good but the team was also very good.

You'd have Messi alongside Iniesta/Xavu in the the ballon dor podium and plenty of other Barca players in the FIFPro 11.

But when it comes to Mbappe, this becomes a problem.
He was a standout performer from that team whether you like it or not

Who cares about la liga?
We want to see how a player fares when he is faced up against other top players in a win or go home situation.

You can win the league by beating minnows day in and day out but not the cups. The tito season, we were beaten by Madrid in head to head. When Madrid won it, they lost against us head to head. So the moment Messi scores/assists in big knockout games that's when he'll become more relevant in these votings. i care for the guy and i want him to win as well but his walk-show in the big knockout games is not gonna get him anywhere close to the podium

i don't rate La liga and i'm sure many people don't.
When la liga goes with CL, yes it can add bonus points.

But la liga on its own

Same thing with Cristiano

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
What was the fan voting results?

Fans only voted for Puskas Award so all the Egyptians and Liverpool fans came together to vote for Salah. Even Salah probably scored 5 better goals last season than the one that won.

gasgas

Fans only voted for Puskas Award so all the Egyptians and Liverpool fans came together to vote for Salah. Even Salah probably scored 5 better goals last season than the one that won.

Werent there nominated goals that fans vote for one?

or one could go in and vote for any goal he wanted?

DonAK

Werent there nominated goals that fans vote for one?

or one could go in and vote for any goal he wanted?

Yeah I think so. Nominated ones they could vote for which is stupider. Why would they nominate that goal lol. Salah scored better ones last season.

Objectively Bale(more important) and CR's(more aesthetically pleasing) were much better.

This fan voting is a disgrace ever since Messi didn't win for his goal in 2015 while a random nobody Brazilian won for a random goal. Proved again this year how fucking stupid such fan voting is.

Last edited:

gasgas

Yeah I think so. Nominated ones they could vote for which is stupider. Why would they nominate that goal lol. Salah scored better ones last season.

Objectively Bale(more important) and CR's(more aesthetically pleasing) were much better.

This fan voting is a disgrace ever since Messi didn't win for his goal in 2015 while a random nobody Brazilian won for a random goal. Proved again this year how fucking stupid such fan voting is.

Then it's not the fans fault.
They were given something to vote for.

i am sure Barca fans would vote for a Messi goal, regardless how good.

It is those who were tasked to nominate.
They should have nominated goals that are actually worthy of a Puskas.

See like how the World cup best goal nominees were.
Quality nominees

Joan

Quite similar to captains/coaches vote. You can't fight biases in football, that's why such awards become less and less relevant in determining the best with each passing year. More like popularity contests (cliche) honoring legacies. Fan vote being the most extreme example of this.

khaled_a_d

Fans vote for the best player was there in 2017 and I think it was also there this year.
It is 4 voting system : coaches, captains and journalist (1 from each country) counts for 75% and internet fan voting which counts for 25%. Messi won that fan voting in 2017 btw.
Didn't read anything about cancelling it and remember many from Egypt talking about voting for Salah in that vote.

DonAK

Fans vote for the best player was there in 2017 and I think it was also there this year.
It is 4 voting system : coaches, captains and journalist (1 from each country) counts for 75% and internet fan voting which counts for 25%. Messi won that fan voting in 2017 btw.
Didn't read anything about cancelling it and remember many from Egypt talking about voting for Salah in that vote.

Didn't know about that.

Only thing I've seen is this which I assume is the overall results:

Dn7d1bJXUAA9IwH.jpg

soul24rage

yeah even when Messi won consecutive Ballon d'ors he was very good but the team was also very good.

You'd have Messi alongside Iniesta/Xavu in the the ballon dor podium and plenty of other Barca players in the FIFPro 11.

But when it comes to Mbappe, this becomes a problem.
He was a standout performer from that team whether you like it or not

Who cares about la liga?
We want to see how a player fares when he is faced up against other top players in a win or go home situation.

You can win the league by beating minnows day in and day out but not the cups. The tito season, we were beaten by Madrid in head to head. When Madrid won it, they lost against us head to head. So the moment Messi scores/assists in big knockout games that's when he'll become more relevant in these votings. i care for the guy and i want him to win as well but his walk-show in the big knockout games is not gonna get him anywhere close to the podium

i don't rate La liga and i'm sure many people don't.
When la liga goes with CL, yes it can add bonus points.

But la liga on its own

Same thing with Cristiano

This is my last post, as this discussion can go forever.

-If he was a standout performer, then he would have won the WC 2018 bronze ball instead of Griezmann

-and who cares about la liga? if that's the case why do you even bother watching la liga games. I see you posting about player's performances about league games.

-Yes you can only win the league by beating minnows while losing to the 2nd place team head to head but that happened only 2 out of the last 10 years (12/13 & 16/17). Most of the time, it takes a good result in the big game in the league who decides who the league winner is.

-The problem with knockout stages is that yes it can show your big game mentality and talent and etc., but there's a lot of factors that can affect the game such as injuries, suspensions, referee, luck and etc., while in league games those factors are not that crucial as in the knockout stage and really shows the consistency that is needed to perform week in week out for a year. This is why I like the idea of a European Super League as I think it combines the best part of the two competitions.

-Also the Best 2018 voting systems are flawed as NT coaches and NT team captains usually vote for their national/club teammate and 25% of the Best 2018 votes come from the fans (!) Can you seriously have a more biased voting system? Of course knockout stage games will be more relevant to those people as they probably don't have the time to watch all the league games except for the big league games.

-the only part I agree with you is Messi's 'walk show' doesn't help in the knockout games.

gasgas

This is my last post, as this discussion can go forever.

-If he was a standout performer, then he would have won the WC 2018 bronze ball instead of Griezmann

-and who cares about la liga? if that's the case why do you even bother watching la liga games. I see you posting about player's performances about league games.

-Yes you can only win the league by beating minnows while losing to the 2nd place team head to head but that happened only 2 out of the last 10 years (12/13 & 16/17). Most of the time, it takes a good result in the big game in the league who decides who the league winner is.

-The problem with knockout stages is that yes it can show your big game mentality and talent and etc., but there's a lot of factors that can affect the game such as injuries, suspensions, referee, luck and etc., while in league games those factors are not that crucial as in the knockout stage and really shows the consistency that is needed to perform week in week out for a year. This is why I like the idea of a European Super League as I think it combines the best part of the two competitions.

-Also the Best 2018 voting systems are flawed as NT coaches and NT team captains usually vote for their national/club teammate and 25% of the Best 2018 votes come from the fans (!) Can you seriously have a more biased voting system? Of course knockout stage games will be more relevant to those people as they probably don't have the time to watch all the league games except for the big league games.

-the only part I agree with you is Messi's 'walk show' doesn't help in the knockout games.

meh.
not in the mood to write another wall of text.

in the end it's just a game, these players dont even know us.
We're here debating while they're enjoying their millions

omidferoz

these awards either goes to a madrid or barca players. Its getting kinda boring. Im 100% sure if Ronaldo was still in Madrid and even played like dogshit he would have won all these awards infront of Modric. Madrid has so much Media power its unblieveable, They are already hyping Asensio to be the next ballon d´or winner.

khaled_a_d

^^^^The last 5CL titles won by both Barca and RM ( 7 of last 10). The last 2 world cup best player came from Barca and RM, the one before the 2 best players of the champion were from Barca
The 2 most dominant player in history of European football and CL has played in Barca and RM in past 9 years.
I really don't see the fuss about Barca and RM winning those awards, they have simply seperated themselves from the rest of the pack in the last decade although it will likely end up soon.

Mitchell1978

People who don't care or rate La Liga (the top domestic league of the last decade) are on the wrong forum imo because the league is the base of everything.
Its where the majority of games are played, without there would not be a CL.

Home of Barca Fans