FC Barcelona to meet Tottenham, PSV and Internazionale in UCL-groupstage 2018/19

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
So Lautaro Martinez and Mauro Icardi vs Barca. Both got 110m release clauses. Barca need to sign a new striker next season.

Let's see what they can do as it might well end up being one of those two.

El Flaco

Icardi's release clause got expired during 15th July IIRC

But yeah, it'll be interesting to see what him + Lautaro Martinez can do in UCL

Joan

Happy with the group. Won't be an easy one, finally some real competition. Very interested in how we handle away matches.

Expect all games to be quite interesting.

eaman

Glad we got a tough enough draw and also not too much travel involved. Spurs should be the toughest and inter a tricky one. Of course I'm not going to say psv will be easy after the whole Roma affair last year.

ASordidGod

Pretty tricky group. Okay so Inter aren't anywhere near what they were, but away certainly they won't be easy. Tottenham obviously will be tough too.

DonAK

Icardi's release clause got expired during 15th July IIRC

But yeah, it'll be interesting to see what him + Lautaro Martinez can do in UCL

Ah well.....Anyway looking forward to see how they do vs Spurs and us.

Happy with the group. Won't be an easy one, finally some real competition. Very interested in how we handle away matches.

Yeah. Better to have some actual competition in the group stages so the players and Valverde as accustomed to the level of intensity and competition when the real shit starts in the KO rounds.

Tottenham and Inter away will be great tests and tests Valverde need to learn from and prove he has what it takes to steer this team in the right direction.

ASordidGod

Not quite sure why you'd want 'competition' at this stage. A hard win is still only 3 points. Ideally you want it as easy as possible, conserve energy, secure qualification, focus on league till Feb. Competition comes later.

ASordidGod

Ah well.....Anyway looking forward to see how they do vs Spurs and us.

Yeah. Better to have some actual competition in the group stages so the players and Valverde as accustomed to the level of intensity and competition when the real shit starts in the KO rounds.

Tottenham and Inter away will be great tests and tests Valverde need to learn from and prove he has what it takes to steer this team in the right direction.

Don't buy this argument myself. There's too much of a time gap. A tough game in Oct has no impact on what happens in March, say. It's not like our players are new to champions league.

Joan

Not quite sure why you'd want 'competition' at this stage. A hard win is still only 3 points. Ideally you want it as easy as possible, conserve energy, secure qualification, focus on league till Feb. Competition comes later.

Not really. We've had enough of that. I want teams to attack us, put us under pressure. We'll gain no experience as a team playing in weak groups (like last year).

It's still early into the season, won't exhaust us all that much.

slvtn

Not really sure what to think. I agree with you to rather have some competition. Our team is good,but Valverde needs to create a concepts unless he wants to have six close challenges...

DonAK

Don't buy this argument myself. There's too much of a time gap. A tough game in Oct has no impact on what happens in March, say. It's not like our players are new to champions league.

Having weak groups and being able to rotate haven't done this team any well the previous years.

If Barca cannot prove their mettle against Tottenham and Inter and play good football and go through, then they don't deserve to be in the competition.

It will also force Valverde to drop the starters for the earlier Copa rounds and some easier La Liga games.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Not really. We've had enough of that. I want teams to attack us, put us under pressure. We'll gain no experience as a team playing in weak groups (like last year).

It's still early into the season, won't exhaust us all that much.

This could affect our league games too.

Valverde cares about nothing but results, it will be interesting to see how he will approach the games, rotation wise.

Competition wise, I am not sure why we will need more. We are already struggling against bottom table teams. Tougher teams and fiercer competition will only expose us sooner.

Home of Barca Fans