Ferland Mendy

Porque

I'd like Junior Firpo. Better technically and going forward. More offensive output. Defensively questionable though as he is wingback and not fullback right now. 50/60m release clause.

Sorin

That's the price you pay for someone who is going to be, in the next year or two, the future LB starter. Which is doable with the age of Alba but do you really see that happening at our club? The club where long time underperforming stars are as secure of their spot as any other player in the world? We first nees someone with balls as manager. Suffice to say, Valverde is an eunuch.

Leo_Messi

MD says we might give up on Mendy because of his perceived price (40 to 50m). I don't know how good Mendy is but I don't like this piece of news at all. When will we start looking for Alba's replacement? Or are we seriously going to sign Flippe Luis and groom Miranda to be the replacement?

We are saving the money to sign De Ligt?

https://www.mundodeportivo.com/futb...o-precio-aleja-la-opcion-mendy-del-barca.html

It says that Aulas is not willing to give Mendy "away" for as cheap a price as Umtiti. Says that he will demand something in the range of €45-50 million and that the club considers that as a too high price considering the fact that the club is looking to buy an attacker and a CB (MDL is being mentioned who won't come cheap). Fully understandable.

I rather have Júnior Firpo as well although he seems RM bound. There must be other LB out there.

Felipe as a cheap backup for Alba coming for free with not a too high wage for 1-2 seasons would be great business. In the meantime (next 2 summers) the club can find the right LB. Alba is not going anywhere in the next 1-2 seasons at least so Mendy would just be warming the bench and it would be €45-50 million "out of the window" on the short run. Not worth it.

Last edited:

Moe

powered by;
It says that Aulas is not willing to give Mendy "away" for as cheap a price as Umtiti. Says that he will demand something in the range of €45-50 million and that the club considers that as a too high price considering the fact that the club is looking to buy an attacker and a CB (MDL is being mentioned who won't come cheap). Fully understandable.

I rather have Júnior Firpo as well although he seems RM bound. There must be other LB out there.

Felipe as a cheap backup for Alba coming for free with not a too high wage for 1-2 seasons would be great business. In the meantime (next 2 summers) the club can find the right LB. Alba is not going anywhere in the next 1-2 seasons at least so Mendy would just be warming the bench and it would be €45-50 million "out of the window" on the short run. Not worth it.

This along with loaning Miranda to a La Liga team and see how he develops would be the ideal scenario for the LB position.

Leo_Messi

This along with loaning Miranda to a La Liga team and see how he develops would be the ideal scenario for the LB position.

Yes. We lack a LB backup not a potential starter or a promising talent like Mendy. Felipe who is the best LB in his age group can do the job as the backup of Alba better than anyone else. At least for 1-2 seasons. There is a possibility of signing him on a free and I doubt that he will demand an outrageous wage. The perfect scenario, really.

In the meantime (next two seasons) we can scout the market for LB's and long-term successors of Alba while keeping an eye on how Miranda an Cucurella will do. Pretty straight forward.

It would be incredibly foolish to pay €45-50 million for a backup LB (there is no LB out there that does a better job than Alba currently) while we have several other more demanding positions to strengthen as written in post 20.

Arizona Scott

Yes. We lack a LB backup not a potential starter or a promising talent like Mendy. Felipe who is the best LB in his age group can do the job as the backup of Alba better than anyone else. At least for 1-2 seasons. There is a possibility of signing him on a free and I doubt that he will demand an outrageous wage. The perfect scenario, really.

In the meantime (next two seasons) we can scout the market for LB's and long-term successors of Alba while keeping an eye on how Miranda an Cucurella will do. Pretty straight forward.

It would be incredibly foolish to pay €45-50 million for a backup LB (there is no LB out there that does a better job than Alba currently) while we have several other more demanding positions to strengthen as written in post 20.

Pretty much agree, but add Nacho Monreal is about 1 year younger than Luis and pretty much the equivalent big match and competitive experience (and like Luis a smart player). I think chemistry wise he might also be a better fit--Monreal has 22 Spain caps and not any history with dirty fouls with Barca players. 2 year stopgap to support Jordi, and give him a break here and there.

Other than that, a deputy to Alba can be young but also developing and relatively cheap. Can't put in 40+ mil for someone to develop for 3 years under Alba and quite frankly I don't think there is any LB in the world that is better than Alba for how Barca players for at least a few years.

Messi983

MD says we might give up on Mendy because of his perceived price (40 to 50m). I don't know how good Mendy is but I don't like this piece of news at all. When will we start looking for Alba's replacement? Or are we seriously going to sign Flippe Luis and groom Miranda to be the replacement?

We are saving the money to sign De Ligt?

https://www.mundodeportivo.com/futb...o-precio-aleja-la-opcion-mendy-del-barca.html

We need replacements for Suarez and Pique more than a future LB at this point.

Agreed.

We were linked to Luan Candido a few days ago. If he's signed he can play at Barça B next year and we loan Miranda to La Liga team (though I'm not fully convinced he's ready for regular La Liga minutes and we would need to find the right club for him, maybe if Betis will sell Firpo to RM he could go there; I wouldn't even mind selling him with buy-back if this would mean he would play more). Eibar will probably use buy option on Cucurella but I think we'll still have buy back for a few years though I don't see a future for Cucu here.

Sorin

According to MD, Mendy's performance did not impress us during the CL tie

https://www.mundodeportivo.com/futb...o-aprobo-el-casting-del-barca-en-octavos.html

So the verdict seems to be Miranda is no good, Mendy is questionable, however no actions so far on Filip Luis or Monreal, we are just going to keep our fingers crossed that Alba stays healthy?

Well, we have to do something that's for sure but that will be resolved in the summer, not now. We can't do anything right now so hope for Alba to remain fit over the reminder of the season.

Donatello

Seems like he's going to Real Madrid.

They don't drag transfers like us, first Miltao, now Mendy, soon Hazard as well. Jovic made a fuss, and they moved on.

Have to say, Real Madrid are leagues ahead of Barca, when it comes to conducting business.

Last edited:

Tackle

Seems like he's going to Real Madrid.

Another highly promising youngster, while we are still fixated on nearly 30 year olds.

They don't drag transfers like us, first Miltao, now Mendy, soon Hazard as well. Jovic made a fuss, and they moved on.

Have to say, Real Madrid are leagues ahead of Barca, when it comes to conducting business.

At least, the player knows its now or never, when Real Madrid is interested in you. While with us, players can drag as long as they want. If we sign Griezmann, it cements that claim.

:lol::lol::lol:

Like we didn't just sign De Jong, Malcom, Lenglet, Dembele, Arthur, Semedo, Todibo, Wague etc. in the last two years.

Get a grip, we can't sign every promising young player. Stop moaning will you.

Messi983

This guy will be 24 in a week. He's hardly a promising young player. About RM, they've bought another promising young LB (Theo Hernandez) just two years ago and now they are already giving up on him without even getting him a fair chance. So much for them doing a great business.

We have other needs so we can't spend 40M on a backup LB. Like it or not, Alba will be unquestionable starter for at least the next two seasons. Yes, his form dropped over the last month but overall he was still one of our best players since Lucho/Neymar have left. What we need is someone to give him more rest and there are cheaper options for that role than Mendy.

Home of Barca Fans