Lliga Round 2: Valladolid - Barca 0-1

eaman

People who draw conclusions about the team based on this game are just daft.

Ya very true. I can't believe all the negative shit. I really don't think valverde is trying to play completely negative shit. It's very hard to play exciting football when you don't have the players to do it. It looks like valverde wants to create chances but when there is no xavi iniesta alves villa eto'o henry Pedro it is alot tougher

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry guys, had lot on my plate and couldn't open the chat.

We won? Yaaay. Knowing Valverde it probably feels better with just reading result and not having to be annoyed with how we play :lol: Am I right?

Though we must have played awesome because I see first sub he made was 14 minutes before the end. :coffee:

BerkeleyBernie

People who draw conclusions about the team based on this game are just daft.

Absolutely. Dealing with the pitch becomes a temporary adaptation in strategy. It'd be idiotic to play as if the pitch weren't a factor.

From what I saw, Messi, Coutinho and Dembele would have had a field day under regular conditions. They are just too much for most teams to handle. You can't double-team without leaving one of these threats open. Will be even better once Suarez is benched for a more potent threat up top.

I'll take this more direct style than Pep's and Luis Enrique's last season made of 1000 passes, 90% ball possession and 1 shot on target.

Barca couldn't continue with that same style b.c teams would just park the bus, and then beat us on the counter.

KingLeo10

I'll take this more direct style than Pep's and Luis Enrique's last season made of 1000 passes, 90% ball possession and 1 shot on target.

Barca couldn't continue with that same style b.c teams would just park the bus, and then beat us on the counter.

direct style? with the football valverde is serving up, we're gonna go direct to dvd. :lol:

EdmondDantes

What a frustratingly disappointing game overall.

Another stupid late kick-off, and then that ACL-rupturing minefield of a pitch.

I was praying all night for us to grab a goal and leave that pitch without an injury, which we did, but it didn't make it any less of an awful watch.

BarçaBarça

Yesterdays game was more about the pitch and less about tactics and coach-choices, imo.
The lineup was fine, tbh, but we could execute anything with that pitch to play on. Should have scored a goal or two in the first half though, second half was worse.

Joan

After watching the 1st half (hopefully will be able to catch the next match), looks better than last night. We tried 2 different approaches, (1) starting with Dembele-Suarez-Messi as a front line in 4-3-3 only to switch to (2) a 4-2-3-1 with Coutinho-Messi-Dembele right before the goal. But the idea was the same. Wingers weren't utilized wide, but narrow. 'Fake winger' Messi on the right and Dembele in interior positions on the left. Width relied upon our FBs. In my opinion, as far as attack is concerned, it didn't look bad. Frontline was fluid and with lots of movement. We clearly created a few chances against a well-parked bus. Penetrating the box surprisingly well. But it ruined our midfield flow, stretched it wide, disabling the trio to help each other. Which is crucial. Winning back the ball is, for example, extremely hard with no support. I've gotta question. Why does Busquets press that high up the pitch? Basically, all Raki did last night was covere for (1) Messi, (2) Roberto and (3) Busquets. Faced with difficulties, switched to a 4-2-3-1 which resulted in a goal. I don't think Messi as a RW is going to work, but keep experimenting. State of the pitch has to be considered. Unbelievably poor.

Passing network sums it all.

DlfsxvzXsAEy1B1

Also, FBs (Alba, Roberto) heatmaps.

fbs.png

Wingers (Messi, Dembele).

image.png

Average positioning might show it better, but Messi and Dembele mostly occupied half spaces.

image.png

Barca's blue.

Last picture. Attack sides. 50% of their attacks went through our right side, which is expected. But also 45% of ours. Alba did very well.

image.png

Last edited:

Asylum15

Down in Lanzarote with my girl and watched the game in a bar.

Let's just say, it was a blessing the cocktails were so fucking strong.

Home of Barca Fans