Lliga | Round 01: FC Barcelona - Deportivo Alavés S.A.D 3-0

GOAT_SUAREZ

So, Vermaelen is not backing up Alba. Don't know if that job falls to Roberto, Lenglet or Umtitti. Have we seen Semedo play LB?

Not sure but there was a game last year where both Semedo and Roberto played on defense. I think it was Roberto at LB

soul24rage

it's going to be a tough game as Alaves seems to do well in the camp nou, almost drawing the game last season if it wasn't some messi magic and that win in 16-17. i hope the boys do well tomorrow

henias

People keep on getting excited about it but there really is no connection between them. Semedo can't link up with anyone and Dembele has his own thing.

Exactly the reason why they want both at the right side so Semedo is more in the defensive phase and Dembele has someone to cover him while attacking.

Rather than Semedo alone on the right flank with Dembele as LW, or Roberto with Dembele as RW as both are too attacking minded. Dont think Roberto and Dembele ever had that sort of connection as well.

Icarium

Lifestealer
People keep on getting excited about it but there really is no connection between them. Semedo can't link up with anyone and Dembele has his own thing.

They move quick and cover more ground. Both can make fast runs. If Dembele attracts some defender to him semedo can make a quick run and provide the width required. I think that parternship has the most potential than let's say Messi Roberto. Roberto will struggle to cover the gap left by Messi and will not be able to make enough attacking runs.

FinBarcelonafan

They play the best together, I guess that's why people keep saying that. Semedo has the best connection w Dembele.

jairzinho

I've seen them link really well before. If they can form a good partnership, we'll be deadly on that side. Semedo w/ Dembele or Malcolm.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
They might not have a real link-up play, but from the few times Dembele and Semedo have played together they have done okay together. When Dembele goes in Semedo with his pace is dangerous on the overlap and Dembele more often than not recognizes that and plays a pass through to Semedo.

Now obviously both need to make it count with their end product too lol

The way Barca play with their wingers cutting inside we need our FBs to overlap to create width instead of trying to create play through link-up which is what would be more useful if our FBs went inside and we played with pure wingers that start out wide like Man City do.

Last edited:

bismp

Let’s hope we score 4-5 goals!Everyone is bored by the last year’s 1-0 shitfests...

PhilS

Roberto adds qualities to the team that are in short supply, so I like to see him start at RB most of the time. The only quality that Semedo has over him is man to man defending in the right corner. This makes Semedo essential against some of the more potent teams - like Real Madrid. I like Semedo, but I like Roberto better, especially against the weaker sides.

What we should feel good about this season is that Valverde has so many valid choices in picking the spots in his starting lineup, where both alternatives are appealing.

4-3-3 is back, with Dembele up front on the left. I expect scoring will go up, we'll have to see how the formation succeeds on defense.

Home of Barca Fans