Lliga | Round 01: FC Barcelona - Deportivo Alavés S.A.D 3-0

CatalinR10

First game of the season after difficult summer with some players returning only couple of weeks ago and having no real pre-season vs Alaves, who had like 10 preseason games and no WC players.
3-0 scoreline
Dembele, Semedo both started
No Gomes, no Paulinho, no Denis, no Aleix in lineup
Shots 25-3, majority of them coming from penalty area
Possession 77-23
Complete dominated game and comfortable win compared to barely scraping it last season.
Barcaforum response - whine and cry, season is doomed etc.

I seriously do not understand what kind of standards have some people set for the squad.

2nd half was really good

1st half was a snorefeest

Joan

I'll leave the passmap here.

Dk97lt1W4AAW_i_

Chris242

It's actually pretty good. Certainly much better than Messi in the center. Roberto is so out wide because he was playing right back in the second half, so it skewed his position a bit.

FCBFAN is on a mission to turn everything into a reason to discount valverde

FCBfan22

FCBFAN is on a mission to turn everything into a reason to discount valverde

I'm on a mission, because I want Messi to play close to goal. The reason why was shown with his 2nd yesterday. That and Valverde is ressurecting the old Lucho setup, which doesn't work, especially with the form Suarez is in at this moment.

Zidane82

That's the point though. Surely it cannot be that all our players suck? That Sane and Sterling play so amazingly well and Firmino has improved a lot. That Willian and Pedro have looked like gold the first two games this season while Dembele and some other talented players have looked meh.

Seriously, I don't understand why people get so annoyed. I'm not saying Valverde is a fucking hack. He's good manager, but that doesn't mean he's the right one for Barcelona.

Exactly

Zidane82

I'm not asking for a lot. I'm not even asking for a CL title or demanding a La Liga title or sack.

The only thing I'm asking for is to play entertaining football, faster football, incisive passing and movement with decent pressing. Even fucking Chelsea are starting to implement that even though they're shaky defensively, but it's been just a few weeks for them while over 12 months for us.
Exactly

Zidane82

Apart from Pep no one plays entertaining football and wins titles.

Chelsea will look amazing and will keep conceding goals with Sarri which means they won't win the PL.

Defence wins titles, not entertaining football.

In the old days maybe ..

Look at the recent World Cup for example
Things are changing and fans want to see decent footie .. that's why Jose's days are numbered .. and hopefully Valverde as well .

Zidane82

First game of the season after difficult summer with some players returning only couple of weeks ago and having no real pre-season vs Alaves, who had like 10 preseason games and no WC players.
3-0 scoreline
Dembele, Semedo both started
No Gomes, no Paulinho, no Denis, no Aleix in lineup
Shots 25-3, majority of them coming from penalty area
Possession 77-23
Complete dominated game and comfortable win compared to barely scraping it last season.
Barcaforum response - whine and cry, season is doomed etc.

I seriously do not understand what kind of standards have some people set for the squad.
In my case simply a desire to see decent attractive football ... oddly enough I'm not a great fan of ManCity's style but Liverpool are paying simply wonderful football ..

eaman

In the old days maybe ..

Look at the recent World Cup for example
Things are changing and fans want to see decent footie .. that's why Jose's days are numbered .. and hopefully Valverde as well .

The world cup was full of negative teams in the knockouts. The team that won it were probably the most negative and boring to ever win it and Portugal in the euros the same. I hope the next one is won by an entertaining team for the sake of international football which is not really the top level of football anyway

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Apart from Pep no one plays entertaining football and wins titles.

Chelsea will look amazing and will keep conceding goals with Sarri which means they won't win the PL.

Defence wins titles, not entertaining football.

Must be why Real Madrid won 3 CLs in a row with their Italian-style defence.

Or Barca having won 3 CLs the last 10 years, because they played like an Italian team too?

In the mean time defence first Atletico and Juve have lost two finals each.

And who said you cannot play entertaining football and good defence anyway? The only defensive team to have won the CL the last decade is the flukey Chelsea team.

Last edited:

Stoichkov1

Must be why Real Madrid won 3 CLs in a row with their Italian-style defence.

Or Barca having won 3 CLs the last 10 years, because they played like an Italian team too?

In the mean time defence first Atletico and Juve have lost two finals each.

And who said you cannot play entertaining football and good defence anyway? The only defensive team to have won the CL the last decade is the flukey Chelsea team.

I was talking about league titles, not about CL which is a knockout tournament.

You can play entertaining football and have a good defence but the players must be young, fast, have a great stamina and press for 90 mins just like this current City team.

Our players are old, slow and they don't cover much ground which means that we will lose control during a match sooner or later.

Home of Barca Fans