User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 76 to 90 of 90

Thread: Maxi Gomez

  1. #76
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    1,507
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FinBarcelonafan View Post
    Tell us better option?
    If Maxi is worth 50 Jovic is worth 100 and AG 120.

    Jovic and AG are by far better, and realistic, options.

  2. #77
    Member
    Don Andrésº8's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    247
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    he is good as subsitute nothing more, dont has the ability to play as the main striker for barcelona

  3. #78
    New signing

    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    32
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If we are really looking for a substitute 9 with La Liga experience, Ben Yedder (40M clause) would cost the same as Maxi Gomez and is like ten times better player in everything except head goals.

    Maxi is just a no, his clause is 50M and Celta isn't going to accept less than 40M, technically he's below average and his speed is laughable, plus his link up play sucks. He's just another traditional non-mobile 9 and what Latino-Hispanic fans would call a "Tronco" aka a tree trunk.
    Last edited by HanDW; 22nd May 2019 at 02:39 AM.

  4. #79
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    906
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The more I think about Maxi Gomez the more I am in favour of signing him- which is an almost 180degree turn from my previous opinion. He brings a lot of the characteristics that we have been lacking for a 9 backup for years.

    Good in the air, strong hold up play and scores a fair share of goals. On the plus side is his age so there is still some improvement to come. Everything that KPB, or rather that role, should be.

    He is not going to be competition to Suarez (or whoever is the starting striker) or to put pressure on him, but what he will is give a solution in games that are tight and fill in when the main striker is rested or injured (this is something Valverde must establish and adapt early in the season).

    So if he was our only striker signing and designed to give Suarez "competition then it would be a huge mistake.

    But look at what happened in both CL Semi finals. Liverpool knocked us out with a great performance from their plan B Origi and Spurs reached the final with Harry Kane missing for months and Llorente filling in the void. For the particular Ajax return leg semi, Llorente's hold up play was a tie-breaker. We lack that plan B option and that quality to be able to miss our striker for a period.

    Paco has proven to be a strong striker at Dortmund but he is not exactly the profile to bring on and change games for us. He is not going to bully defenders or bring an aerial threat which Maxi would. The same goes for Ben Yeddar, who is more of what we have had over the years, but not the guy to give us an alternative option against a wall of defence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jair Ventura
    You can prove anything with facts. Facts cloud my judgement, I prefer to rely on instinct and blind prejudice.

  5. #80
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    795
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it were up to me, I'd sell Suarez and bring in Maxi and Griezmann and make Maxi a back up to Griezmann.
    Suarez is already on huge wages and with us bringing new players, our wage structure will be too high.

  6. #81
    Senior Member
    Saladin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    532
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by abbbs97 View Post
    If it were up to me, I'd sell Suarez and bring in Maxi and Griezmann and make Maxi a back up to Griezmann.
    Suarez is already on huge wages and with us bringing new players, our wage structure will be too high.
    Suarez is to set in his ways in Barcelona, spoiled to the point that one wonders if he'll ever leave voluntarily; his best pal, Leo, is his neighbor. He enjoys the trust of the coach who has the backing of the board for another season.

    Suarez is definitely staying and will probably play the majority of our games next season as our #9.

    There has been no rumours whatsoever linking him to a move away from us. Where would he go? His wifes family is from Barcelona and he has his whole family setup stationed in the city. He could go to China or maybe Japan to join up with Iniesta? Probably just as realistic is a move to the MLS, but we would be seeing close to zero green for such a move.

    I agree that selling Suarez while getting AG + a proper #9 would be the best solution, but it is not realistic in any sense.

  7. #82
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    795
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saladin View Post
    Suarez is to set in his ways in Barcelona, spoiled to the point that one wonders if he'll ever leave voluntarily; his best pal, Leo, is his neighbor. He enjoys the trust of the coach who has the backing of the board for another season.

    Suarez is definitely staying and will probably play the majority of our games next season as our #9.

    There has been no rumours whatsoever linking him to a move away from us. Where would he go? His wifes family is from Barcelona and he has his whole family setup stationed in the city. He could go to China or maybe Japan to join up with Iniesta? Probably just as realistic is a move to the MLS, but we would be seeing close to zero green for such a move.

    I agree that selling Suarez while getting AG + a proper #9 would be the best solution, but it is not realistic in any sense.
    Yep unfortunately I dont see us selling him anytime soon. which is a huge mistake. sell him now while his value is still high. I'm sure Ajax would love him to come back. but like you said, it wont happen.

  8. #83
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    906
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very close to Valencia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jair Ventura
    You can prove anything with facts. Facts cloud my judgement, I prefer to rely on instinct and blind prejudice.

  9. #84
    Member
    michelco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    398
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fit much better at Valencia with the type of football Marcelino plays

  10. #85
    Senior Member
    Messi983's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    7,460
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's all but confirmed Maxi is going to Valencia in exchange for Santi Mina+15M+Jorge Saenz (2-year loan).

  11. #86
    Villarato!
    Wolfe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,325
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How? Santi Mina always seemed like twice the talent as a striker.. Assume they’re trying to balance the books since their wage spend is through the roof.
    People are boring.

  12. #87
    Member
    michelco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    398
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfe View Post
    How? Santi Mina always seemed like twice the talent as a striker.. Assume they’re trying to balance the books since their wage spend is through the roof.
    Not sure about Mina being twice the talent.

    Mina in La Liga: 8804 minutes, 38 goals. Thats one goal per 231 minutes

    Maxi Gomez in La Liga: 6038 minutes, 32 goals. Thats one goal per 188 minutes.

    Maxi Gomez is also one year younger. However the case can be made for Mina that he's never really been first choice by any coach so far and thus have played alot of scrappy minutes here and there.

  13. #88
    Senior Member
    Messi983's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    7,460
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maxi is already in Valencia...


  14. #89
    Moderator
    El Flaco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    12,054
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  15. #90
    Senior Member
    Messi983's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    7,460
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finally this saga is over.

    His clause is 140M just in case we'll want to buy him in a year or two.