Maxi Gomez

Messi983

We don't have a free non EU spot and I think he's a much better fit for AM than us anyway. With Costa out for 3-4 months wouldn't be surprised if they would really buy Maxi but they'll have to sell/loan someone before to lower their wages.

khaled_a_d

A. Madrid wants him in the winter.

Played 12 this season and scored 7 and assisted 4

For only 40m we should really get him.

Last season and in his first season at the age of only 21 played 36 league matches scored 18 and assisted 5

He would fit like a glove in AM for sure.
And yeah, for that price he is bargain for anyone, us included

Leo_Messi

I like Maximiliano Gómez a lot. Fits the profile and the physical aspect is an added bonus. Genuine proven goalscorer both in Uruguay and in Spain so far as well. Not expensive at all compared to the other options. Young. Would probably have no problem acting like a nominal substitute for his countryman Suárez (likely his idol or one of them or at least a player he looks up to) during the 2019-20 season. Suárez leaving in the summer 2020 when he will be 33.5 years old seems likely.

I like the fact that the he has been rumored to the club rather frequently but let us see. Here is hoping.

Last edited:

soul24rage

I like Maximiliano Gómez a lot. Fits the profile and the physical aspect is an added bonus. Genuine proven goalscorer both in Uruguay and in Spain so far as well. Not expensive at all compared to the other options. Young. Would probably have no problem acting like a nominal substitute for his countryman Suárez (likely his idol or one of them or at least a player he looks up to) during the 2019-20 season. Suárez leaving in the summer 2020 when he will be 33.5 years old seems likely.

I like the fact that the he has been rumored to the club rather frequently but let us see.

he is one of my potential candidates to replace Suarez and I always liked him whenever he played for Celta. His contract runs till 2022 but his release clause is 50m. Considering his age and his scoring record in La Liga, 50m would not be a bad investment considering the current market. For me, I would pick him over Werner. Let's see how he does for the rest of the season.

Joan

Wasn't his clause 40 mil? Anyways, we'll need a backup ST at the very least in the summer, someone will have to come. Can easily see Maxi being the one.

Trickykid

I like the fact that the he has been rumored to the club rather frequently but let us see. Here is hoping.

I wouldn't mind him either, if we go for a young rather unproven player instead of an established star.
I'm just not sure that his technical level is on par with what's expected from a Barça striker. It's not like Suarez had the touch of a donkey like current Suarez has, back when he joined us. Is Maxi Gomes adequate here?

I mean, going back in time and looking at the strikers who succeeded here, we've had Suarez (who used to have a good touch and ball playing ability), Villa, Eto'o, Kluivert (his success is obviously debatable), Ronaldo, Romario ect. (who did I neglect to mention?) who all had various degrees of great ball control and deft touches.

In general I really like what I've seen from Maxi Gomez, but do you think he's got what it takes?

Joan

Leo_Messi

I wouldn't mind him either, if we go for a young rather unproven player instead of an established star.
I'm just not sure that his technical level is on par with what's expected from a Barça striker. It's not like Suarez had the touch of a donkey like current Suarez has, back when he joined us. Is Maxi Gomes adequate here?

I mean, going back in time and looking at the strikers who succeeded here, we've had Suarez (who used to have a good touch and ball playing ability), Villa, Eto'o, Kluivert (his success is obviously debatable), Ronaldo, Romario ect. (who did I neglect to mention?) who all had various degrees of great ball control and deft touches.

In general I really like what I've seen from Maxi Gomez, but do you think he's got what it takes?

His technical level is my main worry as well. He is no Ronaldo Nazário de Lima nor your typical Barça number 9 of late. If I should compare him with someone it would be a slower and less technically gifted Kluivert. He is quicker and better technically than what it would seem like at first glance. He is more of a traditional number 9 with that important eye for a goal in the box. He is young so I can very well see him improve technically as he is far from the finished product. An interesting player for sure.

Anyway my ideal number 9 would be the Luis Suárez of old (2012-2016) or Eto'o when he was at his best. The player profile that is. Or someone like Cavani or Forlán. Uruguay sure knows how to produce talented strikers. That's some collection of world class strikers right there.

xXKonan

Atletico is also linked with him which begs the question.

Just how many strikers is Simeone going to go through? not even the return of Diego can satisfy him. :lol:

khaled_a_d

Atletico is also linked with him which begs the question.

Just how many strikers is Simeone going to go through? not even the return of Diego can satisfy him. :lol:

A striker as true 9? I would say Costa and kalinic are probably the only players fits the criteria, both are over 30 atm.
Honestly, I would welcome Gomez, but I think he has better chance for success in Madrid (either sides)

Alik

Is he quick? Does he make runs off the ball?
It wouldn't be a bad idea to inject some speed upfront. Sending through balls to Suarez is mostly useless these days.

He is tall, how good is he at headers?

If yes, I would get him. With an aging Suarez and Munir leaving, we have no back-up. He doesn't have to be a starter either. As he is a relatively cheap option, if he proves to be good enough as a rotation option, it would be worth it.

Riordon

I have the same doubts about both Gomez and Jovic. Take a look at Suarez old videos from Ajax and Liverpool, he was excellent in all aspect of the game. Gomez and Jovic doesn't seem to have that good technique. But lets see for the second half of the season.

If we can't find a good 9 and we shouldn't compromise, then I rather we wait for someone emerges. Or we play a front three with Messi in the middle and a RW who scores a lot like Sterling and Saleh. Now these two aren't possible but looking at goalscoring wingers instead of pure 9's give us more options in the market.

Home of Barca Fans