Messi, Busquets, Piqué & Sergi Roberto will be the 4 captains for the 18/19 season

El Flaco

[tw]1027884270378012673[/tw]

Barça 2018/19 will have four captains from the Barça youth system, La Masia. Lionel Messi, Sergio Busquets, Gerard Piqué and Sergi Roberto will be the ones to wear the famous armband whenever the team take the field.

Lionel Messi will be the first captain. The Argentine takes over the role following the departure of Andrés Iniesta to Japanese club Vissel Kobe. The former Barça midfielder had the job from the 2015/16 season when he took over from Xavi, who in turn had inherited the position from the retired Carles Puyol.

The Barça number 10 has had the role of second captain since 2015 and now he will be first captain following in the footsteps of the likes of Puyol, Xavi and Iniesta.

The second captain will be Sergio. For the coming 2018/19 season, the midfielder will be second in line after 10 seasons with the first team. One of the most talented players to come out of La Masia, Sergio has been one of the captains since 2014/15.

Gerard Piqué becomes one of the quartet of captains, third in line, just before the 10th anniversary of his debut for the first team.

Completing the foursome is Sergi Roberto, who takes over the role from the departed Javier Mascherano. The Catalan player, a member of the first team squad since 2013, continues to establish himself as a key part of the current FC Barcelona squad.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
A lot of people expected to see Raki or TS, but Bob has seniority over both, in addition to the homegrown, hard worker traits.

I think he’s been here the fifth longest of all our players now, but Alba isn’t captain material.

Last edited:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Congrats to him, but I felt like ter Stegen or Rakitic would be better options.

And Suarez with his past history will never get the captaincy, for Barca or Uruguay.

Devils

Bob has seniority over him and is homegrown/likeable; not surprised he got the nod from the squad.

Seniority over his time at Barca, not as a starter in the first team.

Absolutely should not. Suarez is criticizing and yelling at our own players during games all the time. Hardly an encouraging figure.

That's exactly why he should be get it. You need someone commanding on the pitch and who isn't afraid to call players out.

Catta

This just shows how much his teammates respect him. He deserves it, with his determination, he should be a role model for all La Masia graduates.

DonAK

Have a feeling Messi unlike former captains will outlast those behind as a starter for Barca.

khaled_a_d

A lot of people expected to see Raki or TS, but Bob has seniority over both, in addition to the homegrown, hard worker traits.

I think he’s been here the fifth longest of all our players now, but Alba isn’t captain material.

Roberto debut was on 10 November 2010,Alba joined in 2012. I think Roberto is the 4th in siniority
The tradition that new team captain is by players votes, that is up to 4th captain and from then it is by siniority
So Alba will be 5th captain, then I think it will be the 2014 transfers (Suarez/MATS/Raki)

I like Roberto and all but Suarez should be 4th captain.

Unless they have changed it,It is a team voting so I am ok with whatever the results. I've actually expected Roberto
3 1st Captains are old, needed a younger one who would last a little bit too

Have a feeling Messi unlike former captains will outlast those behind as a starter for Barca.

For some reason -that I hav no evidence to support it- I think Messi might follow a similar route to Cr7 and leave in a couple of years. tbh I won't be surprised if Roberto became team 1st captain in 3 years or so, but again it is just me

Last edited:

Devils

Yeah I can understand the need for younger captains.

If it were up to me, I'd make Messi captain with MAtS as 2nd captain. That way we can have MAtS as a long-term captain, probably in the range of the next 7-8 years.

Our captaincy since Puyol left has been pretty strange with getting only 2-3 years of captaincy out of Xavi and Iniesta. Might be better to get younger players at the 2nd captaincy spot so the club can have longer term as opposed to shorter term.

DonAK

Unless they have changed it,It is a team voting so I am ok with whatever the results. I've actually expected Roberto
3 1st Captains are old, needed a younger one who would last a little bit too

Gor some rean -that I hav no evidence to support it- I think Messi might follow a similar route to Cr7 and leave in a couple of years. tbh I won't be surprised if Roberto became team 1st captain in 3 years or so, but again it is just me

Would depend on whether he's a starter still by then. I just hope they don't vote Alba in ahead of ter Stegen now when someone leaves. I don't see Pique ending his career here unless he steps up big time. He's way too outspoken against the people in charge and in general to survive with poor performances.

So if I had to bet I would put my money on him vacating his position first.

Home of Barca Fans