User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Messi, Busquets, Piqué & Sergi Roberto will be the 4 captains for the 18/19 season

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Messi, Busquets, Piqué & Sergi Roberto will be the 4 captains for the 18/19 season

Barça 2018/19 will have four captains from the Barça youth system, La Masia. Lionel Messi, Sergio Busquets, Gerard Piqué and Sergi Roberto will be the ones to wear the famous armband whenever the team take the field.

Lionel Messi will be the first captain. The Argentine takes over the role following the departure of Andrés Iniesta to Japanese club Vissel Kobe. The former Barça midfielder had the job from the 2015/16 season when he took over from Xavi, who in turn had inherited the position from the retired Carles Puyol.

The Barça number 10 has had the role of second captain since 2015 and now he will be first captain following in the footsteps of the likes of Puyol, Xavi and Iniesta.

The second captain will be Sergio. For the coming 2018/19 season, the midfielder will be second in line after 10 seasons with the first team. One of the most talented players to come out of La Masia, Sergio has been one of the captains since 2014/15.

Gerard Piqué becomes one of the quartet of captains, third in line, just before the 10th anniversary of his debut for the first team.

Completing the foursome is Sergi Roberto, who takes over the role from the departed Javier Mascherano. The Catalan player, a member of the first team squad since 2013, continues to establish himself as a key part of the current FC Barcelona squad.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great choice, MAtS could've been there as well.

SiempreBlaugrana
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of people expected to see Raki or TS, but Bob has seniority over both, in addition to the homegrown, hard worker traits.

I think he’s been here the fifth longest of all our players now, but Alba isn’t captain material.
    Last edited by KingMessi; 10th August 2018 at 11:59 AM.

QUE D10S NOS PROTEJA

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like Roberto and all but Suarez should be 4th captain.
    Puyol #5

SiempreBlaugrana
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Devils View Post
    Bob has seniority over him and is homegrown/likeable; not surprised he got the nod from the squad.

QUE D10S NOS PROTEJA

Blaugrana al vent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely should not. Suarez is criticizing and yelling at our own players during games all the time. Hardly an encouraging figure.

President of FC Barcelona
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats to him, but I felt like ter Stegen or Rakitic would be better options.

And Suarez with his past history will never get the captaincy, for Barca or Uruguay.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingMessi View Post
    Bob has seniority over him and is homegrown/likeable; not surprised he got the nod from the squad.
    Seniority over his time at Barca, not as a starter in the first team.

Quote Originally Posted by te amo barca View Post
    Absolutely should not. Suarez is criticizing and yelling at our own players during games all the time. Hardly an encouraging figure.
    That's exactly why he should be get it. You need someone commanding on the pitch and who isn't afraid to call players out.
    Puyol #5

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would've taken Mats over Pique but good choices.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This just shows how much his teammates respect him. He deserves it, with his determination, he should be a role model for all La Masia graduates.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a feeling Messi unlike former captains will outlast those behind as a starter for Barca.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingMessi View Post
    A lot of people expected to see Raki or TS, but Bob has seniority over both, in addition to the homegrown, hard worker traits.

I think he’s been here the fifth longest of all our players now, but Alba isn’t captain material.
    Roberto debut was on 10 November 2010,Alba joined in 2012. I think Roberto is the 4th in siniority
    The tradition that new team captain is by players votes, that is up to 4th captain and from then it is by siniority
    So Alba will be 5th captain, then I think it will be the 2014 transfers (Suarez/MATS/Raki)

Unless they have changed it,It is a team voting so I am ok with whatever the results. I've actually expected Roberto
    3 1st Captains are old, needed a younger one who would last a little bit too

Quote Originally Posted by DonAK View Post
    Have a feeling Messi unlike former captains will outlast those behind as a starter for Barca.
    For some reason -that I hav no evidence to support it- I think Messi might follow a similar route to Cr7 and leave in a couple of years. tbh I won't be surprised if Roberto became team 1st captain in 3 years or so, but again it is just me
    Last edited by khaled_a_d; 10th August 2018 at 12:56 PM.

Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold... and I don't know the names of the players.
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Messi new captain. How time flies...

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I can understand the need for younger captains.

If it were up to me, I'd make Messi captain with MAtS as 2nd captain. That way we can have MAtS as a long-term captain, probably in the range of the next 7-8 years.

Our captaincy since Puyol left has been pretty strange with getting only 2-3 years of captaincy out of Xavi and Iniesta. Might be better to get younger players at the 2nd captaincy spot so the club can have longer term as opposed to shorter term.
    Puyol #5

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by khaled_a_d View Post
    Unless they have changed it,It is a team voting so I am ok with whatever the results. I've actually expected Roberto
    3 1st Captains are old, needed a younger one who would last a little bit too

Gor some rean -that I hav no evidence to support it- I think Messi might follow a similar route to Cr7 and leave in a couple of years. tbh I won't be surprised if Roberto became team 1st captain in 3 years or so, but again it is just me
    Would depend on whether he's a starter still by then. I just hope they don't vote Alba in ahead of ter Stegen now when someone leaves. I don't see Pique ending his career here unless he steps up big time. He's way too outspoken against the people in charge and in general to survive with poor performances.

So if I had to bet I would put my money on him vacating his position first.