Neymar Jr.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
This is not to diss PSG or Ligue 1, but you really don't hear too much about Neymar anymore.

Porque

He is so good.

Lot of people not watching actual PSG games rave about Mbappé.
Neymar is on another galaxy. Mbappé has still a lot to develop to really become one of the best.

This is it, nobody outside of Paris (apart from one Brazilian and maybe a few Qatari) is watching French football. Whatever Neymar achieves in PSG is always going to be overlooked until PSG consistently challenge for the CL.

The international brand isn't there and won't be until you can sell Lille to Singapore, Lyon to Australia and St Etienne to China. LaLiga has done a good job of this building the heritage clubs (Valencia, ATM, Sevilla) to support El Clasico's. Bundesliga have sold the product through mass english language adaption, Asian/South American signings and building the product through a fantastic visual stadium experience.

Ligue1 don't even have a super domestic game to market every year.

Last edited:

FC433

RMC reports that he is having the same injury that he had last year. Could be out for 3 months.

El Flaco

Neymar's rainbow flick over Moataz Zemzemi after being kicked 3 times in a row by him.

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/s/aiher/pzpdgh" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

Newcomer

This is it, nobody outside of Paris (apart from one Brazilian and maybe a few Qatari) is watching French football. Whatever Neymar achieves in PSG is always going to be overlooked until PSG consistently challenge for the CL.

The international brand isn't there and won't be until you can sell Lille to Singapore, Lyon to Australia and St Etienne to China. LaLiga has done a good job of this building the heritage clubs (Valencia, ATM, Sevilla) to support El Clasico's. Bundesliga have sold the product through mass english language adaption, Asian/South American signings and building the product through a fantastic visual stadium experience.

Ligue1 don't even have a super domestic game to market every year.

Well, this is not really the problem i'm pointing out.

If they don't watch PSG games, they shouldn't self assured declare Mbappé is better than Neymar.

I mean, i won't say Guedes is better than Parejo when i watch exactly 0 game of Valencia.

Also, you are mostly foreigner following Barcelona here but i'm French watching french football and supporting my french club. So usually, unless i go like here on foreign forum, people around me actually know the in and out. So, yeah, French people do watch French football even outside Paris and we are happy to have players of Neymar's quality. It would be stranger for us French to like all our good players leave and not like when a good foreign player comes. As a matter of fact, PSG is the only team that play at a full capacity stadium when playing away. So, those purchase were in fact beneficial for the economics of the league and the clubs.

What i agree with you is that PSG has achieved nothing on European scene and no matter how many stars you buy, if you don't perform there, people won't want to buys Ligue 1 right.
I'm sure that PSG winning CL this year would allow the league as a whole to be more appreciated, sadly it won't happen. We had already deficiencies but without Neymar, we can even go out to United.

Very sad state of affairs.

That fucking ref though... PSG must be one of the few big teams not to be favored by officiating in their proper league (and i don't even want to get started with CL). This ref didnt even give an yellow card for 3 yellow card offenses in a row !

In fact, PSG ended with more yellow cards in this game than the opponents. And it happens almost every fucking time. Opponent does 10 fouls, nothing. PSG does 1 foul, yellow !

Newcomer

Wow. That's some bad news. Let's hope for the best. I hope PSG beats ManU.

PSG curse is too strong man.

In one week, Verratti injured, Neymar injured, de Jong do a turn around.

I know my club very well, i still remember when we lost against Deportivo we were leading 3-0 with less than 45 min to play and they scored 4 goals from headers. Remember when we had more than 10 points lead over Auxerre to then lose the title.
PSG is the master at creating the impossible (won't talk about Barca second leg because that ref greatly helped PSG auto destruction mission).

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Well, this is not really the problem i'm pointing out.

If they don't watch PSG games, they shouldn't self assured declare Mbappé is better than Neymar.

I mean, i won't say Guedes is better than Parejo when i watch exactly 0 game of Valencia.

Also, you are mostly foreigner following Barcelona here but i'm French watching french football and supporting my french club. So usually, unless i go like here on foreign forum, people around me actually know the in and out. So, yeah, French people do watch French football even outside Paris and we are happy to have players of Neymar's quality. It would be stranger for us French to like all our good players leave and not like when a good foreign player comes. As a matter of fact, PSG is the only team that play at a full capacity stadium when playing away. So, those purchase were in fact beneficial for the economics of the league and the clubs.

What i agree with you is that PSG has achieved nothing on European scene and no matter how many stars you buy, if you don't perform there, people won't want to buys Ligue 1 right.
I'm sure that PSG winning CL this year would allow the league as a whole to be more appreciated, sadly it won't happen. We had already deficiencies but without Neymar, we can even go out to United.

Very sad state of affairs.

That fucking ref though... PSG must be one of the few big teams not to be favored by officiating in their proper league (and i don't even want to get started with CL). This ref didnt even give an yellow card for 3 yellow card offenses in a row !

In fact, PSG ended with more yellow cards in this game than the opponents. And it happens almost every fucking time. Opponent does 10 fouls, nothing. PSG does 1 foul, yellow !

Honestly I am a little tired of reading folks belittling French football and Ligue 1, it is too much. Please don't take it too seriously.

I wanted to ask, I read a while ago somewhere that rugby, instead of football, is the most popular sport in France. Is that true?

Newcomer

Neymar's rainbow flick over Moataz Zemzemi after being kicked 3 times in a row by him.

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/s/aiher/pzpdgh" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

How can this fucking ref not even give a yellow card ?

And look at the commentary : Strasbourg won't gonna be bullied. Who is bullying here if not the Strasbourg player ?

Fucking done with those french ref. Always the same shit. They feel like they have to compensate for the weakness of the other team. So they can kick our players as they please to make the game more fair. Once PSG does a foul, you bet it => a yellow card.

FinBarcelonafan

How can this fucking ref not even give a yellow card ?

And look at the commentary : Strasbourg won't gonna be bullied. Who is bullying here if not the Strasbourg player ?

Fucking done with those french ref. Always the same shit. They feel like they have to compensate for the weakness of the other team. So they can kick our players as they please to make the game more fair. Once PSG does a foul, you bet it => a yellow card.

I'm by no means PSG fan, but that was harsh. It should have been yellow.

Newcomer

Honestly I am a little tired of reading folks belittling French football and Ligue 1, it is too much. Please don't take it too seriously.

I wanted to ask, I read a while ago somewhere that rugby, instead of football, is the most popular sport in France. Is that true?

No, it is not.
France is a multi sport country, so people won't rave about football like in the other countries. Yet, it is the number one sport.

Rugby is more of a thing in the south. Interestingly, there is a big historical rugby club called Stade Français whose stadium sits next to Parc des Princes.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Sta...KHQ8ICfgQ9QEwBXoECAQQCA#imgrc=eDn51HZEG_PtWM:

Handball is also well liked in France.

The thing is people don't have that feeling of appartenance some fans have in other countries. Bayern and Dortmund are always full and their fans buy a lot of goods related to the club. It gives the club good incomes too.
In France, you have great loyal fans but also a huge part of spectators. Most clubs aren't at full capacity any other game that is not against PSG.
Also, football followers from France likes to bandwaggon whatever team that is cool in CL. Those will only really follow a french club if it is actually successful. They have so few personnality that they sometimes use the same "farmer league" argument they heard from anglo saxon forums to shame their own league. I find that weird. It is like they have no self respect. You can appreciate your league for what it is. Especially when those same people won't call leagues ranked lower than french league as "farmers". Kind of echo chamber fallacies.

Home of Barca Fans