Neymar Jr.

Andresito

Staff member
Why do I have a feeling that an eventual deal will end up fucking us up the ass?

Our board can't be that desperate. Bringing Neymar isn't a step forward towards the future of the club, it's a step backwards.

ebc_99

Neymar is the second best player in the world when on form, any other club would love to have him, 100m plus Coutinho would be a great deal for Barca.

Sorin

Too much smoke for this to not be happening. However, I still maintain hope that PSG will price us out of a move. Please PSG do it. :(

Setting aside this, how would we even line-up? Assuming both him and Griezmann join.

I would honestly try something like this against the smaller sides in La Liga:

Messi
Neymar Griezmann Dembele
De Jong Arthur
Alba Frenchman Pique Semedo
Stegen

A world class manager could make this work against 90% of the teams out there. That attack could interchange places all game long without any problem whatsoever, absolutely bamboozling the opposing team's defences. Valverde is incompetent though so tough luck. So it's probably Neymar, Suarez, Messi for the majority of the games with Suarez being subbed out more often by Griezmann I suppose.

Zidane82

Why do I have a feeling that an eventual deal will end up fucking us up the ass?

Our board can't be that desperate. Bringing Neymar isn't a step forward towards the future of the club, it's a step backwards.

Did you see our ‘attack’ in action last season!?

Zidane82

Too much smoke for this to not be happening. However, I still maintain hope that PSG will price us out of a move. Please PSG do it. :(

Setting aside this, how would we even line-up? Assuming both him and Griezmann join.

I would honestly try something like this against the smaller sides in La Liga:

Messi
Neymar Griezmann Dembele
De Jong Arthur
Alba Frenchman Pique Semedo
Stegen

A world class manager could make this work against 90% of the teams out there. That attack could interchange places all game long without any problem whatsoever, absolutely bamboozling the opposing team's defences. Valverde is incompetent though so tough luck. So it's probably Neymar, Suarez, Messi for the majority of the games with Suarez being subbed out more often by Griezmann I suppose.

Like that team a LOT !!

Although I’d play Messi slightly behind the front three

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Ronaldinho peaked at 27, same age as Neymar now (28 in February) - he likely has at least 2-3 good seasons in him IF he is dedicated. Has he ever really been dedicated for any consistent length of time? I struggle to see the sporting logic even in the very short term. Dembouz has flattered to deceive owing to his injuries but Ousmane is 5 years younger. Much prefer seeing a lineup of Griezz with Dembouz than anything to do with Neymar

Sorin

Like that team a LOT !!

Although I’d play Messi slightly behind the front three

That's why I said that they could interchange positions. For example, when we defend it's would be best if Griezmann drops back because he has terrific workrate and in attack he would take the most advanced role with Messi dropping back to be the playmaker.

It would take a toll on Griezmann though but we will have 5 goddamn forwards. Rotation is a must, not to mention we can alternate formations and bring in another midfielder when the situation calls for it. We will have to do that anyway against the stronger sides. Something like Neymar-Messi-Griezmann with De Jong-Busi-Arthur behind them will be necessary in the later CL stages.

But again, I have big doubts that a mediocre coach like Valverde can make it work. This unimaginative, boring manager will trot out the same kind of shit day in day out.

Leo_Messi

Ronaldinho's peak occurred much earlier than Neymar's current age (27). Ronaldinho was at his best from 2002-2006. Reaching his peak (contrary to popular belief) in 2005 rather than the year after. At least individually.

Neymar is a great player, top 3 without a doubt IMO, and I do actually believe that he has at least 3-4 years left at the highest level (he could even possibly get better) but it requires a fundamental change from himself and that of his entourage. If he truly is desperate for a return and to take the mantle once Messi declines further or calls it a day.

The problem however is everything that I wrote a few days ago of negatives. Everything from how to fit him into the team with Griezmann likely arriving (almost guaranteed), Messi and Suárez going nowhere, what will happen with Dembélé, the club losing face, "club de amigos" getting further reinforced and running the show more than ever, no sports project or any long-term planning in sight, our wage bill reaching dangerous levels etc.

I would have less against a Neymar return if the useless board did more of a generational change and got rid of the likes of Suárez and Rakitic. Or if they had appointed an actual manager and not a yes-man and a "gestionario" which Valverde is. Nothing more and nothing less.

Griezmann and Neymar arriving obviously means the end of Dembélé. While it should mean the end of an almost 33 year old Suárez rather than one of the more promising attacking talents in the world in Dembélé. The misuse of that player has been criminal. Dembélé should not be parked on either the left or right but more close to the goal given his insane pace, ability to run behind the defense, him being ambipedal (a rare gift) etc. He could potentially turn into a Eto'o like footballer. The same Eto'o that started his career in Mallorca playing as a freaking right back initially. That would obviously require a top manager in the mould of Pep, Klopp, Pochettino etc. to develop that kind of talent not a clueless Valverde.

Neymar-Messi-Griezmann (Messi and Griezmann interchanging positions whenever needed, in fact all 3 could do that) with Dembélé being the first substitute of all 3, playing whenever one of the 3 would need a break and as often as possible. That would be a better solution than keeping an almost 33 year old Suárez (long past it) and selling a 22 year old Dembélé instead. Griezmann could at times play as the most offensive midfielder in front of DJ and Arthur and behind Messi with Neymar and Dembélé on the wings against weak opponents on paper at the Camp Nou. Or a 3-4-3 formation at times. Maybe not with Valverde around though. Not maybe, most certainly.

EDIT: To begin with, as written a few days ago, it makes zero sense to sign both Griezmann and Neymar. Signing one of them while getting rid of Suárez and replacing him with a Jovic or Lautaro kind of attacker (traditional number 9) would have been way better while keeping Dembélé but getting rid of Coutinho.

Last edited:

Leo_Messi

'back from vacation' aka back from being banned. and your sources are..?

He is probably repeating what I wrote a few days ago and what practically every local source is saying. Cardoner's public comments made the "secret" into an open secret if anyone was ever in doubt.

The only question left is how much the board is willing to shoot themselves in the foot in order to land Neymar and the extent of the damage. I don't buy the supposed reports that claim that Nasser, Leonardo and PSG are not willing to sell Neymar. Nobody wants to keep a player that wants out and who has not met his expectations (at all) and less so if you can make a favorable deal with Barça. So I am afraid that Neymar is returning 100% unless something unexpected occurs. A new serious injury, him perishing in some parachute accident in Brazil or Bartomeu and the board suddenly gaining enlightenment. All 3 are very unlikely to occur.

Last edited:

abbbs97

He is probably repeating what I wrote a few days ago and what practically every local source is saying. Cardoner's public comments made the "secret" into an open secret if anyone was ever in doubt.

The only question left is how much the board is willing to shoot themselves in the foot in order to land Neymar and the extent of the damage. I don't buy the supposed reports that claim that Nasser, Leonardo and PSG are not willing to sell Neymar. Nobody wants to keep a player that wants out and who has not met his expectations (at all) and less so if you can make a favorable deal with Barça. So I am afraid that Neymar is returning 100% unless something unexpected occurs. A new serious injury, him perishing in some parachute accident in Brazil or Bartomeu and the board suddenly gaining enlightenment. All 3 are very unlikely to occur.

Yep. I just hope Dembele isnt included in this Neymar deal. I think it'll eventually be something like 100m + Coutinho and Rakitic.

Leo_Messi

Yep. I just hope Dembele isnt included in this Neymar deal. I think it'll eventually be something like 100m + Coutinho and Rakitic.

Unfortunately I cannot see any scenario of Dembélé staying (he has already been grossly mismanaged for 2 years, zero continuity, zero development by large and less confidence than when he arrived) at the club if the past it dinosaur (Suárez) stays, Messi (is a given that he will stay) similarly, and if Griezmann (looks like a certain deal) and probably Neymar arrives as well. Dembélé is one of the most valuable assets that the club has and who could realistically leave the club. Alongside with the gigantic flop/fraud that was/is Coutinho.

Such a deal (you need to look at the positives in times of sorrow) could be good but it is not very realistic. I don't see why PSG would be interested in an oil tanker (Rakitic) that is way past it and whose costs (wage) will not reflect his actual performances on the field. If think that PSG signing Herrera on a free is their version of "Rakitic". So unlikely that they will be interested in anyone other than Coutinho and Dembélé (both are clearly on the market if the right proposal arrives) and in particular Dembélé given that they would have to replace Neymar directly. This way Dembélé could return to Paris and team up with his best buddy Mbappé before the latter leaves in 1-2 seasons. Tuchel as well. I could see a swap deal with Neymar being done + a significant sum of money and Dembélé thrown into the deal. Coutinho will most likely be a separate deal IMO to balance the books.

Last edited:

FCBfan22

As I said before, if NeyNey returns, we might be good on a short term, but we will be fucked in the long term. Financially and sporting-wise.

As soon as Suarez/Leo leave/retire, NeyNey will want out too. He will decline and his attitude will become toxic again. We will pay a lot of money for 3 years of NeyNey. After that it's downhill and we will need to revamp the whole squad even more.

Needless to say that even those 3 years are questionable, since IMO Valverde cannot tame NeyNey. No fucking way in hell.

Home of Barca Fans