10 - Lionel Messi - V6

FCB1987

Banned
If not for the injury, Leo could have really made a run for Ballon d'Or with good displays against Inter and Madrid.

Pedro

La Masia
If not for the injury, Leo could have really made a run for Ballon d'Or with good displays against Inter and Madrid.

He would've been mesmeric against them which would've swung the Ballon d'Or his way. Anyway let's hope Modric wins it now.

Messigician

You make it sound as if it's something exceptional. I have been very athletic during my lifetime so far and never fractured anything.

Obviously you're not an aggressive player then or been on the receiving end of bad tackles.

Odds are if you play a sport you'll get a fracture sooner or later.

Fractures aren't bad, bones heal well. It's my Achilles injuries that are giving me the shits recently.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
Obviously you're not an aggressive player then or been on the receiving end of bad tackles.

Fractures aren't bad, bones heal well. It's my Achilles injuries that are giving me the shits recently.

Not necessarily. It's a legitimate question.

gasgas

are you in your 30's?

gasgas is a medic. We need his expertise on the subject.

i've tried as i could.

serious fractures often require surgery

I once fractured and dislocated my toe which needed surgery for example

fracture dislocation ouch.
anything that involves a joint is ultimately surgically treated.

Joints are very tricky, you mess with them, you end up with stiffness all your life

Did they put K-wires down there?

You've never fractured anything before? Obviously surgery is not required

Surgery may be required depending on the extent of fracture. (the location, the type and degree of displacement).

The radius is a very tricky bone to fracture and Orthopods tend to treat it as a joint due to how it is closely associated with the ulna bone.

if treated inadequately it's very easy to complicate things end up with a malunion, sudeck osteodystrophy, compartment syndrome etc.

And yeah it can ve treated surgically, you can fix internally with K wires or plates. That is used for displaced fractures

In Messi's case it seems he has a minor fracture with no displacement, he's also young (generally), he's athletic so he'll heal faster than say [MENTION=16942]BBZ8800[/MENTION] would, and surggery may be unnecessary but that should not cause them to rush him.

Bone needs to heal. you need time to form a spongy bone, you need time for it to be made compact, and then aftereards it will remodel with ambulation and loading on the arm.

Here in Tanzania, we do follow up after 3 weeks to see if healing is progressing well. Don't about Europe

Oh, I didn't realize. Congrats man!

thanks man

gasgas

It's because you've never had serious fractures in your life eh.

Did you know that there are fractures/dislocations that end up with amputation?

try dislocating your knee and the chances of losing your limb is not that low

Some fractures end up with nerve entrapment, injury and paralysis.

Some end up in malunion, and you end up with a deformed limb

Some fractures never unite at all and people end up having surgery after surgery

And if it's an open fracture you can end up with osteomyelities (bone infection) that is a nightmare treating

gasgas

gasgas is a medic. We need his expertise on the subject.

But then i ought to see his xray to make a better judgment but i'll use the information we have so far.

When i saw his fall (albeit from a crappy stream) i predicted an olecranon fracture due to hyperextension with possibility of a radial fracture and ulnar fracture.
But then the position when he landed seems to have favored the radius (not in a good way lol)

Any fracture treatment depends on the age of patient, the physical activity level, location of the fracture, ttpe of the fracture, degree of displacement, involvement/non involvement of the joiny, presence of any comorbidities etc.
Many of these would need an XRay, so i can only speculate here that he probably has a simple fracture, (transverse, or oblique less likely spiral) with minimal or no displacement. here it could be minimal as i heard a talk of some doctors revommending surgery

As i said earlier the forearm is tricky, to be safe we usually go for surgery if there is minimal displacement.

Now if one of you could get me Messi's XRay that would be great :rofl1:

Messigician

It's because you've never had serious fractures in your life eh.

Did you know that there are fractures/dislocations that end up with amputation?

try dislocating your knee and the chances of losing your limb is not that low

Some fractures end up with nerve entrapment, injury and paralysis.

Some end up in malunion, and you end up with a deformed limb

Some fractures never unite at all and people end up having surgery after surgery

And if it's an open fracture you can end up with osteomyelities (bone infection) that is a nightmare treating

We are talking about Messi's fracture which is a minor one hence the 3 weeks recovery time. Yes my fractures have been minor too hence why I bought them up. Naturally most fractures would be minor, consequently minor fractures usually do not require surgery either which is the category Messi fits in.

Home of Barca Fans