10 - Lionel Messi - V6

Mitchell1978

To be clear about it, Messi at Barcelona and Argentina is the personification of a player who is treated as a talisman, without a clear system around him. Messi doesn't bail you out if you're an average manager, and would even cause you some structural problems if you're not careful. That is what happened to a T at Barcelona and Argentina, especially at Barcelona (since Argentina also don't have good enough players sadly, which is not Messi's and the manager's fault).

It is a clear failure at the highest level. And has been time and time again. Sure he can score a hattrick against Ecuador, or against Getafe, or even against better teams with some great executions, but overall we're talking about a failure here.

Main fault for this situation is the crap managers and Messi himself.

It is what it is, just a shame because outside La Liga, Messi has had some really bad years in Europe and Internationally with Barcelona and Argentina. At the highest level, Messi and the teams he played for in the last 4-5 years have been a disappointment.

How quickly people forget what just happend this season where Messi was head and shoulders above any other player in both La Liga and the CL.
He was just as good as he was in the 2014/15 season, the difference the team around him was much worse.

But i guess now that the narrative has shifted a bit, people with agenda's against him (for whatever reason) are coming out with the same old tired bullshit.
Here and in some parts of the media.
Sad and predictable.

messi2140

6racies Xavi
Look expecting Messi to fire managers or showing his displeasure in the media isn't his job nor is it something to expect of him but I feel with Valverde it should have been the exception. And not because Valverde is an average manager ( he is) but just a culmination of so many shit managers he has been working with , Look at this fucking shit :

Ernesto Valverde
Luis Enrique
Gerardo Martino
Tito Vilanova
Jordi Roura
Pep Guardiola
Frank Rijkaard

He is the most gifted player there ever is and even if he is humble about it in the media , he probably knows it aswell. He won 1 CL in the last 7 years and the 6 other attempts didnt even come close to him lifting it , heck most of them were pure fucking embrassements .And not once did he make a fuss about anything. That Liverpool bottle job should have been the tipping point especially since he doesnt have many more years of football left. Instead he comes with some fucking weak shit and says that he hopes Valverde stays. That just doesn't sit right with me. If he is happy with mediocrity and getting dicked around in the CL for 7 years that's fine by me at this point.

Last edited:

michelco

Either he's just too polite or he might just not have that great of an understanding of overall tactics and such. He might geniunly think Valverde is doing a good job because he cant see the big picture. Many brilliant footballers, especially strikers/forwards are terrible bad coaches, tactically speaking

Don Andrésº8

really messi needs a real coach with urgency, i can see his bad habits growing more and more, he is a genius in the field but you can see he dont have the brain to truly see the game as xavi had or Pep. Many years of bad coaches and farmers made his bad habits growing into this, even with his age (he is still young) you cant have a guy with how the the modern and intense football plays walking on the pitch when he doesnt has the ball, you cant...

FCB1987

Banned
really messi needs a real coach with urgency, i can see his bad habits growing more and more, he is a genius in the field but you can see he dont have the brain to truly see the game as xavi had or Pep. Many years of bad coaches and farmers made his bad habits growing into this, even with his age (he is still young) [b/]you cant have a guy with how the the modern and intense football plays walking on the pitch when he doesnt has the ball, you cant[/b]...

Truth right there. As much criticism as our midfield has gotten, I think our lack of pressing and movement from the front was a bigger issue in the humiliations against Roma and Liverpool. We basically defend with 8 outfield players when Messi and Suarez start together.

MTL_Barca

I love when people say: " Messi drops deep at Barca due to EV's sterile system and due to a crappy Rakitic who can't create anything."

Yesterday for Argentina, Messi was dropping even way deeper than at Barca, lol.

Well Barto and friends successfully turned Barca into a more expensive version of Argentina with an average midfield, average coach and Messi doing everything on his own so not exactly a good example to proof the point :lol:

feggydinho

really messi needs a real coach with urgency, i can see his bad habits growing more and more, he is a genius in the field but you can see he dont have the brain to truly see the game as xavi had or Pep. Many years of bad coaches and farmers made his bad habits growing into this, even with his age (he is still young) you cant have a guy with how the the modern and intense football plays walking on the pitch when he doesnt has the ball, you cant...
I really don't know why messi doesn't see that, but I don't think he can change again since he has already developed that attitude.

Home of Barca Fans