10 - Lionel Messi - V6

biraboyz

Banned
If Ronaldo wins the Ballon D'or this year as expected he'll go ahead of Messi in Ballon D'ors for the first time in 10 years, last time he was ahead was in 2008 when he went 1-0 up. Leo needs to win the CL this season to level it at 6-6 in 2019 hopefully.

It sounds like a UCL award than the beat player of the year award. Don't take that award seriously, it means not much

BusiTheKing

I have no doubt that he passionately wants to lead us to glory, but he's just not the captain we need.

Can Messi really inspire the intensity you need to stay alive in the CL? Can he yell at others for not moving enough when he's the player who runs the least in the tournament? Would love a leader figure like Puyol who puts hair on our chest and keeps us on our toes trough those 90 minutes.

aaron101

I have no doubt that he passionately wants to lead us to glory, but he's just not the captain we need.

Can Messi really inspire the intensity you need to stay alive in the CL? Can he yell at others for not moving enough when he's the player who runs the least in the tournament? Would love a leader figure like Puyol who puts hair on our chest and keeps us on our toes trough those 90 minutes.

With all due respect to Messi, I would have preferred a different captain. In my opinion, someone who's very vocal like Umtiti or Ter Stegen has the character to be a captain. I remember at the 2014 World Cup, it was Mascherano who was giving instructions to the team, not Messi. He was always the one who cheers them up when they're not doing good.

Pedro

La Masia

With all due respect to Messi, I would have preferred a different captain. In my opinion, someone who's very vocal like Umtiti or Ter Stegen has the character to be a captain. I remember at the 2014 World Cup, it was Mascherano who was giving instructions to the team, not Messi. He was always the one who cheers them up when they're not doing good.

Messi will be a great Captain, he leads by example. Not all Captains are vocal, captains have different ways of being leaders, there is no wrong or right way, it's what works for them and is natural to them.

BusiTheKing

If he leads by example, that would probably be the worst thing imaginable. His lack of effort is leaving tactical inconsistencies all over the place for others to cover. Imagine if every player did that.

FCB1987

Banned
It sounds like a UCL award than the beat player of the year award. Don't take that award seriously, it means not much

It's a combination of performance/trophies

If Messi performs 10% better than Ronaldo or Salah but they outperform in CL and win CL, then they'll win it

But if Messi performs say >20% better than the best CL winner (2010,2012) then he can still win BDO without CL.

BusiTheKing

It's a media hype award. Each year they will bend the "criteria" in the way that flatters Cristano the most.

Messi basically had to pull off one of the best individual seasons of all time to win it in 2015. Insane stuff week after week. Absolutely immense CL performances. Wondergoal in Copa final. Leading his team to the treble. And even when Messi is so godamn obviously better, Cristiano still got around 2/3rds of the amounts of votes that Messi got.

That vote distribution from 2015 is the single most convicing piece of evidence as to how biased it is.

FCB1987

Banned
It's a media hype award. Each year they will bend the "criteria" in the way that flatters Cristano the most.

Messi basically had to pull off one of the best individual seasons of all time to win it in 2015. Insane stuff week after week. Absolutely immense CL performances. Wondergoal in Copa final. Leading his team to the treble. And even when Messi is so godamn obviously better, Cristiano still got around 2/3rds of the amounts of votes that Messi got.

That vote distribution from 2015 is the single most convicing piece of evidence as to how biased it is.

conspiracy theorists at it again 🙄🙄

You could say they bent the criteria for Messi in 2010 or even 2012 given that the award typically goes to the winner of a big national tournament. The Ballon d'Or has always taken trophies and big game performances (Cannavaro 06, Ronaldo 02 for example) heavily into account but of course you''ll still think doing so is all part of some recent huge conspiracy to help Ronaldo.

Last edited:

eaman

Look captain's don't really mean as much as people think. He will lead by example and pique and maybe Arthur in time will be the ones giving rollickings to anyone slacking

Androutsos

Yeah, just because he has the armband doesn't mean other players can't talk... I have heard from a lot of people that have been to Barca games that Pique is the loudest player on the pitch.

Alik

MATS and Umtiti cannot be compared to Mascherano.

Mascherano was a natural leader for Argentina and older than Messi. MATS and Umititi are not leaders in the dressing room. Not yet. Especially not Umtiti with his contract drama last season.

clemente

MATS and Umtiti cannot be compared to Mascherano.

Mascherano was a natural leader for Argentina and older than Messi. MATS and Umititi are not leaders in the dressing room. Not yet. Especially not Umtiti with his contract drama last season.

It blows my mind when people talk about locker room, like have you been there? how do you know? Maybe Umtiti and Mats are massive leaders in the dressing room.

Home of Barca Fans