10 - Lionel Messi - V6

MagIX

How so? That Maradona did it alone is such a myth. That 86 Argentina team had two other players that's counted as one of Argentina's 10 best players of all-time.

Did i write he did it alone ? did I write that he had a weak team ?

Argentina scored 14 goals, Maradona scored 5 goals + 5 assists.
His performance, not only in quantity, but especially in quality has been fantastic, probably the best ever in a wc.

eaman

How so? That Maradona did it alone is such a myth. That 86 Argentina team had two other players that's counted as one of Argentina's 10 best players of all-time.

A big part of Maradona's legacy is Hand of God, basically he cheated. Also the career he had in Napoli.

To be fair he did score some other brilliant and important goals in 86. I also think that is a myth that he did it alone with argentina and napoli. He had great players and well structured team around him on both teams which is something Messi hasn't really had with any argentina side. They had a decent midfield in 2014 but not great compared to maradonas 86 team

biraboyz

Banned
Did i write he did it alone ? did I write that he had a weak team ?

Argentina scored 14 goals, Maradona scored 5 goals + 5 assists.
His performance, not only in quantity, but especially in quality has been fantastic, probably the best ever in a wc.
Cruyff or Ronaldo 98? But why nobody talk's about what he did with a Barca shirt. Messi will be judged on his failures but others with their success

MagIX

Cruyff or Ronaldo 98? But why nobody talk's about what he did with a Barca shirt. Messi will be judged on his failures but others with their success

Where I wrote that Messi will be judged on his failures but others with their success ? I even said that I agree with Kempes

Cruyff never won the wc. Ronaldo did not win the wc 98, but the wc 2002. Great performances (tbh never seen Cruyff playing) , but not even comparable to the performance (quality and decisve) of Maradona.
But anyway, we are not talking about Messi, Ronaldo, Cruyff of whatever, we are talking abount Kempes and Maradona, why is Kempes not more rated among Argentines compared to Maradona: I answered that question, that was the topic, let's not digress.

Last edited:

raskolnikov

Where I wrote that Messi will be judged on his failures but others with their success ? I even said that I agree with Kempes

Cruyff never won the wc. Ronaldo did not win the wc 98, but the wc 2002. Great performances (tbh never seen Cruyff playing) , but not even comparable to the performance (quality and decisve) of Maradona.
But anyway, we are not talking about Messi, Ronaldo, Cruyff of whatever, we are talking abount Kempes and Maradona, why is Kempes not more rated among Argentines compared to Maradona: I answered that question, that was the topic, let's not digress.
I still feel alot of it has to do with him being an extravert who cheated his way past England during the high tension falkland war. It made Maradona a larger than life figure. As did his performances with Napoli and controversy. I still feel Kempes to be underrated. He was a quality Batistuta type player with an arguably top 5 wc performance.

MagIX

Probably Kempes is underrated, but nobody is talking about him or Batistuta as one of the best players ever. For sure the victory vs ENG was seen as a revenge, a rematch (after losing the "war" for the falklands islands) and for sure scoring with a hand and scoring a fantastic solo goal (goal of the century) made the revange even more exquisite and raised him to a demigod.... and after winning the wc to a god.
But this has nothing to do in order to judge his performance at the wc, 5 goals and 5 assists for the 14 goals that ARG scored (Kempes, 6 goals, 0 assist, ARG 15 goals), but not even that, his global performance in the wc 86 has been out of this world.
That doesn't mean that he made it alone, that's a myth, arg was a very good team: the team was built on a golden generation, full of arg players who won the copa libertadores(Idipendiente 1984, Argentinos Juniors 1985 and River Plate 1986).

Said that, for me he's not a extravert but a clown (btw he's the main responsable for the failure of Argentina at the wc 2010)
For me as soccer player a genius, as person :yuck:
And I agree with Kempes "Messi doesn’t need a world cup to be the best in history" , "Diego’s time has passed, nor is it an example to say so many things.”

EdmondDantes

Leo has a heart of gold.

I've just seen the video of him tearing up as he's surrounded by little children suffering from cancer. I couldn't watch the whole thing but it's something to do with his foundation. Noble work from all involved.

raskolnikov

Looking forward to see this man play again. Stupid International break always makes me go cold turkey. I need my Barca/magical Messi dosis.

Home of Barca Fans