The Best FIFA Football Awards 2018

BruceWayne11

what if a players 10 best games are all against fodder teams?

how is that an indicator when a player is butchering minnows and is nowhere to be seen against the big boys?

A game is a game. The team and random circumstances are more important than people think. Messi seemed like a god between 2008 and 2012 with Barca due to having a good platform to use his talent, while Ronaldo seemed like a choker. Then the last few years it was flipped, and now Messi seems like a choker in the quarters. Anyway, you judge them based on their general play and what they offer individually on the field. No one has the same level as Messi shows week in, week out. You need to watch the games to see that though. The stats are impressive too.

soul24rage

he produced goals and assist that led to winning the big trophies

Mbappe was a good engine in a good team, but that's about it. Messi had great performances in la liga games vs Real, Atletico, CL games vs Juve and Chelsea while disappointing vs Roma both games. Mbappe didn't do do much vs Real in both CL games and for me, the only big game in the WC that he was great was vs Argentina, which to be frank Arg. really played into Mbappe's strength by playing that ridiculous high line with a slow defence. Mbappe was good vs Belgium and France, but so were the other French players.

Slevinn

Dani Alves already won his balon d'or

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dn4A1vjX0AE8xdc.jpg[/img]
Dn4svOsXoAIISW6.jpg
]
Are those feathers?

Also, who is that dude on the right?

El Flaco

[tw]1044324960850857987[/tw]

The Best FIFA Men's Player

https://imgur.com/a/hINo8CQ

The Best FIFA Men's Coach

https://imgur.com/a/JDs1HxL

FIFA and Ballon d’Or have separated 2 years ago. It’s hard to tell whats more important now but this was a HUGE win for Modric and Croatia. IMHO it’s pretty stupid to have two awards for the best player. After they separated it was always the same winner. Ronaldo both times.

Ballon d'Or has always been the most prestigious individual award to win since the dawn of time.

Agreed that having two awards with same purpose in between 3 months is quite unnecessary.

If anything, 'The Best' award serves nothing but as a stepping stone for BdO in the next 3 months.

Only positive thing with FIFA's award is that votes are public, which I can't say the same for BdO.

Here's the reserve teams.

2018-2ndTeam-World11-1440.jpg

2018-3rdTeam-World11-1440.jpg

2018-4thTeam-World11-1440.jpg

2018-5thTeam-World11-1440.jpg

Devils

Real Madrid's influence is unreal. Stunning control of the media and press. It's staggering how they make their players win competition after competition and individual award after individual award. Unbelievable.

They probably will make nothing players like Asensio and Cabellos win individual awards in the future too.

Unbelievable levels of corruption.

gasgas

A game is a game. The team and random circumstances are more important than people think. Messi seemed like a god between 2008 and 2012 with Barca due to having a good platform to use his talent, while Ronaldo seemed like a choker. Then the last few years it was flipped, and now Messi seems like a choker in the quarters. Anyway, you judge them based on their general play and what they offer individually on the field. No one has the same level as Messi shows week in, week out. You need to watch the games to see that though. The stats are impressive too.

nah man, a CDR match vs Huesca is nothing compared a UCL semi vs Juventus

Chainsaw

Killahead
how the hell does Courtois win best goalkeeper?

Because he's a Real Madrid player now? Bet Ronaldo had more chance to win something if he was still at Madrid. The Italian media talked about the same thing when all the awards went to Fabio Cannavaro in 2006, while Buffon got nothing.

Last edited:

gasgas

Mbappe was a good engine in a good team, but that's about it. Messi had great performances in la liga games vs Real, Atletico, CL games vs Juve and Chelsea while disappointing vs Roma both games. Mbappe didn't do do much vs Real in both CL games and for me, the only big game in the WC that he was great was vs Argentina, which to be frank Arg. really played into Mbappe's strength by playing that ridiculous high line with a slow defence. Mbappe was good vs Belgium and France, but so were the other French players.

a lot of bias in this one.

first group stage vs Juventus, big deal.

Big games are the knockout games, win or go home

Barca and Juve were always going to finish fist and second.
Big teams almost always make it past group stage

La Liga games vs atletico? meh
just one of the 38 games a season. you win you get the same points as vs Huesca, Cordoba etc.

It's not a do or die. Madrid has won the league while losing classicos, we too have done the same.

So you are left with games vs Chelsea, enough to put Messi at number 5.

As for Mbappe
For you he had only one great game, but that's only for you
and may be a few other Barca-colored glasses wearers
His performances were very good and instrumental towards the trophy, other French players were also good hence why we see them in other high positions

Morten

All credit to guys like Mbappe for being great at the WC, but playing for national teams depends a great deal on where you were born(unless you pull a Costa), its different than club football.
As an example, even if Salah was fully fit, how was he supposed to do anything significant with Egypt?
Not saying Salah would have done as well as Mbappe if he played for France, just saying that the foundations were never there for someone like Salah to do much.

Last edited:

soul24rage

a lot of bias in this one.

first group stage vs Juventus, big deal.

Big games are the knockout games, win or go home

Barca and Juve were always going to finish fist and second.
Big teams almost always make it past group stage

La Liga games vs atletico? meh
just one of the 38 games a season. you win you get the same points as vs Huesca, Cordoba etc.

It's not a do or die. Madrid has won the league while losing classicos, we too have done the same.

So you are left with games vs Chelsea, enough to put Messi at number 5.

As for Mbappe
For you he had only one great game, but that's only for you
and may be a few other Barca-colored glasses wearers
His performances were very good and instrumental towards the trophy, other French players were also good hence why we see them in other high positions

The bolded part is the key of what I've been talking about. He was good in a good team with probably more talent in every position than in any other NT and he had a competent coach, but was mbappe better than the other key players like Varane, Umtiti, Griezmann, Kante, Pogba and etc.? For me, I would say that the likes of Griezmann, Kante and Varane were just as important if not more important than Mbappe while Messi was literally in a two man team with MATS last season and without either of those two, I don't think we wouldn't have gotten La Liga. If you rewind back in August of last year, critics were saying that Barca wouldn't win the league and Copa with Neymar's departure, Real's great season in 16/17 and with a new manager. I think the way we won the league was great considering the circumstances with Messi topping every attacking stats there is and he was one game away from being known as the invincible. It's obvious that you don't rate La Liga (and you have the boldness to call me bias :cool:) so I don't think whatever I say will make a difference to you so I'll leave to that.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans