10 - Lionel Messi - V6

Stoichkov1

I'm not saying that he wasn't great tonight or that he's not sole reason for most of our wins. It's pleasing watching him do things like tonight, but it hardly surprises me. He's by far the most talented football player on the planet. He also did genius things last year and the year before that.

I can't believe that you can say that he leads by example and not realize how huge a problem that is. You think his teammates will watch him waltz around a couple of defenders with minimum effort before threading an impossible through ball and think to themselves, "huh, why wasn't I doing this all along? lemme just walk around and wait for the ball to come to me and do then do some magic".

He gets to walk and avoid pressing because no-one in the history of football can have the impact that he can while doing so. If anybody else tries to do what he does, it would pretty much mean playing with 10 men.

I mean, if he didn't run during the WC with Argentina which is the trophy he cares most about do you expect him to stop walking with Barca?

At this point I don't think it's laziness, it's his body who doesn't allow him to run and show intensity during the matches because he has a low stamina.

raskolnikov

I mean, if he didn't run during the WC with Argentina which is the trophy he cares most about do you expect him to stop walking with Barca?

At this point I don't think it's laziness, it's his body who doesn't allow him to run and show intensity during the matches because he has a low stamina.
The logical thing would be to rest him more often in easy/pointless matches so he can go all out come april rather than be burned out.

BusiTheKing

Of course I'm not wilfully disparaging him for playing like he does, because he's still the best in the world in this state, but anyone who isn't just the least bit frustrated with Messi's unrealized potential by his current attitude is seriously underestimating this mans capacity to transcend what we know is possible in football.

Judoman

I often imagine him being more mobile. I think it would open up more options for him and for the team.
But i m also sure there is a good reason for his way of play. I don t think it s about attitude or some made up crap like that.

He plays in similar way trough out his whole career, rasing the bar year by year in his skill level and effectiveness. Focusing on one
flaw is just nitpicking, considering his production and influence.

In order to win CL the rest of the team needs to step up, not Messi. He wasn t, isn t and will not be a problem.

gasgas

i am now leaning more towards a 4-2-3-1
......Busquets..Rakitic
dembele.....Messi....Coutinho
...............Suarez

Cule4life

The Culest
tumblr_mdhx3iLJXc1rohn9fo1_500-2.gif

Gnidrologist

There has never been a talk about his skills declining. He will be scoring hattricks till he's 40. He will start to decline somewhat amidst mid 40s till mid 50s and retire at ripe old age of 60, while still being a key substitute. (let's hope i don't need to use smileys here)

Laplacian

Here I was hoping a hat trick in CL will shut this forum up about "decline" for 3 days at least.

He is declining though. You have to be completely blind not to realize that. Declining=/=Messi is shit, he is still the best player in the world but that doesn't mean he's not declining.

FCBfan22

He is declining though. You have to be completely blind not to realize that. Declining=/=Messi is shit, he is still the best player in the world but that doesn't mean he's not declining.

I think his decline should be looked in different areas.

-Passing: Improved
-Finishing: Same
-Free kicks: Improved
-Speed: Declined
-Acceleration: Declined
-Dribbling: Declined very slightly, probably because the loss of some acceleration

So, while he is declining in some areas, he is still improving in others. While he is no more an one man army as he used to be, he is as deadly as ever for opponent's goal.

Home of Barca Fans