10 - Lionel Messi - V6

Mitchell1978

I think EV just gave him some match fitness, not too much to induce fatigue but enough in case next game he doesnt play at all. It's risky to play him next saturday

Very likely he plays next saturday, is why he started on the bench tonight.
It will depend on the result tomorrow but i don't expect Atletico to loose at home.

The semi-final vs Liverpool won't be easy for the team. We will need Messi in top form and full energy. But I'm overall optimistic that everyone will be in a good day.
I think Leo should take a rest in the weekend for more focus and more stamina. The same for Suarez who looks actually tired.
Some specific training and special preparation could be more beneficial than playing a non-important match against Levante. If he plays, I think 30 minutes are largely enough.

Neymessi

I think EV just gave him some match fitness, not too much to induce fatigue but enough in case next game he doesnt play at all. It's risky to play him next saturday, even playing as a sub in a leading situation like today, injury chance.

Very good chance the moment he came, but the rest, it looked like he was a bit too hurrying, hence the missed pass(es). Im gonna feel a bit disapppointed if he also feel it's a must to score a goal to keep the race with mbappe. I mean he should at least understand the importance of liverpool game rather than golden boot. The pressure wont do anything good on his game, i saw it, we saw it. Seriously, just play and keep it safe for now.

I think EV started him because he wanted to and he wanted it because of the golden boot competing with Mbappe.

Seems like unlikely but the way Messi played it definitely looked like it. Near the box, he would always go for a goal where he usually passes.

Should scrap this stupid obsession for the boot as it is just another trophy and the payoff that increases his risk of fatigue against Liverpool is higher.

FCB1987

Banned
I think EV started him because he wanted to and he wanted it because of the golden boot competing with Mbappe.

Seems like unlikely but the way Messi played it definitely looked like it. Near the box, he would always go for a goal where he usually passes.

Should scrap this stupid obsession for the boot as it is just another trophy and the payoff that increases his risk of fatigue against Liverpool is higher.

I don't think it had much to do with golden boot. He also subbed on Alba around the same time

Horatio

You're welcome

How do you explain that pass to Coutinho where he couldvr gone for goal himself. Why suarez not look back for Messi instead of cross it to Vidal?

Centauri B

How do you explain that pass to Coutinho where he couldvr gone for goal himself. Why suarez not look back for Messi instead of cross it to Vidal?

It was the only thing he did in the half hour he played that was not aimed at him scoring.

I was truly baffled by his apparent desire to score in these circumstances just for the sake of a stupid golden boot. We (and by "we", I mean Messi and his teammates) have way bigger fish to fry next week.

Altomonte

Messi was very close to scoring twice, first the shot that the GK deflected to the post, second the curler at the end that went high - a very rare occurrence. He definitely was not "sharp", missing a number of passes that he usually gets right.
Overall a sub-par performance.
The next question is about the Levante match, should he play or rest?
If he chooses to play, he should only come on for 30 minutes but prepare better than today. It will help him to be home, at his preferred environment.

sickstar

About the shot that went far.
Right before that a barca player was down together with alaves player. It could also be something that made him lost focus.

Ripsta

Resting Messi is a stupid idea, play him Vs Levante so he goes into the game full of confidence, the fucker doesn't run much anyway, he can't be tired!

Horatio

You're welcome
I am absolutely confident that having Messi play 30 minutes has no negative effect on his condition whatsoever. You can’t tell me a top athlete that doses his energy on the pitch(the so called walking where he picks his moments) will fatigue his body by playing 30 minutes. 30 minutes is nothing. For all we know he might compensate it by hitting less time in thr gym. Think it will be more beneficial in the way that he maintains rhythm. I have seen what lack of rhythm can do to Messi.

Only risk is crazy tackle by opponent that could injury him.

Last edited:

Arizona Scott

I am absolutely confident that having Messi play 30 minutes has no negative effect on his condition whatsoever. You can’t tell me a top athlete that doses his energy on the pitch(the so called walking where he picks his moments) will fatigue his body by playing 30 minutes. 30 minutes is nothing. For all we know he might compensate it by hitting less time in thr gym. Think it will be more beneficial in the way that he maintains rhythm. I have seen what lack of rhythm can do to Messi.

Only risk is crazy tackle by opponent that could injury him.

I agree, what is a better training session to keep you sharp than 30-45 minutes against a real opponent.

Home of Barca Fans