10 - Lionel Messi - V6

Sultan

Nosce te ipsum
7th overall in the CdR as well. 32 goals less than Telmo Zarra who is the all-time topscorer.

I doubt Messi will break this one. If he wanted to I am sure he could, but i think as he gets older, CdR will be less of a priority for him. He will probably tie Zarra for most Pachichi's this year and could break it the following year.

It will seems like each game he plays henceforth, instead of another record broken, it will be another new record set.

Leo_Messi

81 goals for Zarra in CDR... that's fucking loads!

CdR was the most important tournament in Spain (also the oldest one) for roughly 30 years until the emergence of the domestic league back in 1929. CdR's importance (media exposure) was much greater than today just 20 years ago. During Telmo Zarras time it was the equivalent of the CL as it was the only (basically) cup competition.

Leo_Messi

doesn't matter Hardy, no ban for us so gol still counted, really good day for Leo confirmed.

They would not have counted as the result would be void and we would have lost 0-3. Similar to what happened with RM back in 2015 but as I already explained in the Levante match thread, the club being kicked out was always unlikely according to the actual rules.

Xtroverto

CdR was the most important tournament in Spain (also the oldest one) for roughly 30 years until the emergence of the domestic league back in 1929. CdR's importance (media exposure) was much greater than today just 20 years ago. During Telmo Zarras time it was the equivalent of the CL as it was the only (basically) cup competition.

Actually, it was the most important tournament in spain even after the league was started, that did not change untill rhe league expanded to 14 and then 16 teams, even in the 1950s, the cup was considered on par with the league in terms of prestige. When fc Barcelona won the first league in 1929 the season was considered a faliure because we lost to espanyol in the semi finals of the cup. And i'm not exaggerating, you can read for yourself what the media wrote in the archives. Back then they still used the official name for the cup which still today is the spanish championship, the league back then was just a secondary trophy.

Last edited:

Leo_Messi

Actually, it was the most important tournament in spain even after the league was started. When fc Barcelona won the first league in 1929 the season was considered a faliure because we lost to espanyol in the semi finals of the cup. And i'm not exaggerating, you can read for your self what the media wrote in the archives. Back then they still used the oficial name for the cup which still today is the spanish championship, the league back then was just a secondary trophy.

Yes, I am aware of that. However already in the 1930's (if I recall) the tide was changing and by the 1940's the league became the most important trophy. Hence my comment. In any case it was just to state that CdR predates the league by almost 30 years and that it is the second oldest cup competition in Europe (among the historical leagues) after the FA CUP and second in terms of prestige to the FA Cup today and historically as well.

For example the history of Coppa Italia is nowhere near similar to CdR so that domestic cup competition has much less prestige today and historically.

I mean the prestige of tournament x or y tends to be measured by its history and prestige (the weight that fans, clubs, media etc. give tournament x or y).

The thing is though that nowadays not even the FA Cup is as prestigious as it once was. If we had won 4 CdR titles in a row and 6 in 10 seasons just 20 years ago (let alone earlier than that) it would be considered as a much bigger deal back then than it is today.

I am of the opinion that an official trophy is an official trophy and I always want to (usually) win every trophy that we are competing for. Pretty much how the club has looked at things historically, hence our huge number of official titles that even outnumber that of RM, although they of course have a better record in the league, for now at least, and the CL. Hence us being the only club in Europe to have won the treble twice and being close on a few occasions. We are also the only club that has won a European double (domestic league and CL) 5 out of 5 times that we have won the CL. More than any other club.

There is also this treble obsession among the club and its fans that I do not recall any other fanbase having. This also has to do with the fact that our club is the most successful in Europe based on trophies in all club sections combined (football, basketball, futsal, handball, roller hockey etc.)

Even our women football team have quickly risen to become the most succesfull team in Spain based on trophies within a very short timespan. Having the biggest budget helps as well of course and being FC Barcelona.

Last edited:

Stoichkov1

It's an absolute joke that ligue 1 is considered one of the top 5 leagues in the world, at this rate Neymar or Mbappé will win the golden show playing against farmers.

Home of Barca Fans