Europa League

Leo_Messi

Sevilla disappointing big time and only managing to draw 2-2 against Slavia Prague at the Ramón Sánchez Pizjuán. Should have won clearly based on chances created and overall play. At least Villarreal had an impressive 1-3 win away from home against Zenit.

Rennes beat Arsenal 3-1!!!!!! THE STRENGTH OF THAT FRENCH LEAGUE!!!!!!!!

Kindly put some respect and credit to the name of the sole representative of the world's best Farmer's League. That was an impressive win (on paper) despite Arsenal's red card.

Last edited:

Joan

Benfica looked poor. Thought Dinamo could do it in Zagreb, but don't expect much for the next fixture. Not that I'm a fan..

Last edited:

Vilarrubi

Kindly put some respect and credit to the name of the sole representative of the world's best Farmer's League. That was an impressive win (on paper) despite Arsenal's red card.

Must be mind boggling for the "Strong Ligue 1" guys trying to compare leagues.

Rennes (10th place in Ligue 1) beat Betis (8th place in La Liga)....... Rennes (10th place in Ligue 1) beat Arsenal (5th place in Premier League)...... but then Manu (4th place in Premier League) beat PSG (1st place in Ligue 1)

tumblr_m0wb2xz9Yh1r08e3p.jpg

Luckily for UEFA they don't pick games at random for Coefficient and use a SLIGHTLY larger sample size with games over 5 years in both CL and Europa lol

Leo_Messi

Great to see Napoli winning 3-0 against Salzburg (one of the better performing teams in the Europa League in recent seasons) and Valencia winning 2-1 against Krasnodar at the Mestalla. If they hold on to the win they should be favorites to advance. Also expected Sevilla to advance against Slavia Prague despite the poor first leg result. Inter have every chance of being able to advance against Frankfurt as well with the return leg being played at home.

Hoping to see a Sevilla-Napoli final.

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
Hoping for Eintracht Frankfurt to go all the way. Amazing fans, some likeable players and got a couple of friends who are huge supporters. And arguably the team with the best performances in the competition so far. But would be an upset if they beat teams like Inter, Napoli Sevilla or Chelsea.

Messi983

Sevilla disappointing big time and only managing to draw 2-2 against Slavia Prague at the Ramón Sánchez Pizjuán. Should have won clearly based on chances created and overall play. At least Villarreal had an impressive 1-3 win away from home against Zenit.

Suprised about Villarreal result though they are doing much better since Calleja's return. That 3-5-2 formation seems to work for them. Still think they should focus more on surviving in La Liga than Europa League.

Sevilla is not at their best but still a much better team so I expect them to go through. Prague has scored two lucky goals (a deflection at first and then the ball hit a David Luiz look-a-like in his shoulder and he scored without even knowing :lol: ) and didn't show much besides that. But drawing 2-2 at Pizjuan is a good result even for much better teams so they deserve a credit for that.

Great to see Napoli winning 3-0 against Salzburg (one of the better performing teams in the Europa League in recent seasons)

I don't think Salzburg deserved to lose 3-0. It's a shame they haven't scored so return leg would be more interesting. They have some interesting players like Samassekou and Hannes Wolf (he's going to Leipzig in the summer). Dabbur is quite good as well and I'm looking forward to see him at Sevilla next season.

Also, a very good performance by Fabian Ruiz. Didn't watch Napoli much this season so happy to see him doing well.

Leo_Messi

Suprised about Villarreal result though they are doing much better since Calleja's return. That 3-5-2 formation seems to work for them. Still think they should focus more on surviving in La Liga than Europa League.

Sevilla is not at their best but still a much better team so I expect them to go through. Prague has scored two lucky goals (a deflection at first and then the ball hit a David Luiz look-a-like in his shoulder and he scored without even knowing :lol: ) and didn't show much besides that. But drawing 2-2 at Pizjuan is a good result even for much better teams so they deserve a credit for that.

I don't think Salzburg deserved to lose 3-0. It's a shame they haven't scored so return leg would be more interesting. They have some interesting players like Samassekou and Hannes Wolf (he's going to Leipzig in the summer). Dabbur is quite good as well and I'm looking forward to see him at Sevilla next season.

Also, a very good performance by Fabian Ruiz. Didn't watch Napoli much this season so happy to see him doing well.

Not really surprised to be honest with you. Villarreal have better individuals than Zenit although playing in Russia at this time of the year is never easy. It is just a proof of how strong La Liga is (world's strongest league) when you have clubs like Villarreal and Celta fighting for survival and doing very well in Europe in the case of Villarreal.

No, Sevilla are clearly in crisis and there is already talk of Machín getting fired. A bit too trigger happy for me as I rate him personally but their away statistic is truly awful (if I recall only 3-4 clubs are worse in the league, lol) and now them not being able to defeat the likes of Sparta Prague (despite them elating the Czech league and beating Gent soundly, the leaders of the Belgian league) at the Ramón Sánchez Pizjuán speaks volume about their bad form.

Yes, Salzburg have done really well. Not surprised considering the owner and his financial power. Not very familiar with their team though although they impressed me very much last year.

Yes, Fabián Ruiz is one to look for.

eaman

I only saw from the 60th minute and from then until kraznodar scored Valencia were defending for a nil all. When they then had to attack they had a couple of chances and scored. Another defensive coach like simeone almost getting knocked out of Europe for being negative and too defensive

Leo_Messi

Valencia barely making it against Krasnodar. Missed the game but bloody hell. Similarly Napoli who lost 3-1 against Salzburg. Hopefully Villarreal won't mess it up against another Russian team in Zenit after their 1-3 lead away from home. Sevilla won't have an easy job knocking Slavia Prague out either considering their absolutely pathetic away form. Here is hoping though.

Would be nice to have at least 25% Spanish teams left out of the 16 European teams that will be left after tonight in both the CL and Europa League. That is not "too" bad for what will be considered as a bad year for Spanish football unless we win the CL and one of Valencia, Sevilla or Villarreal win the Europa League.

The English will have at least 5 teams in comparison. Think that a Rennes team that is leading 3-1 and playing with Sarr and Niang (awfully quick both) will have good chances to advance but we will see.

So far English teams have been doing the best. Eventually that was bound to happen given how many billions of € that they have been spending in recent seasons without much to show for it if not nothing trophy wise. Will be seen if it will be a trend in the next coming years. Far too soon to make any conclusions other than them doing better this year so far. Could be a different story at the end of the season though as things are yet to be decided.

In a way it is good with some competition for once and a strong EPL representation in Europe returning. Now we need Serie A to follow suit as well which they have every potential to do eventually. Here is hoping as well.

EDIT: 1-0 to Arsenal. That did not last long. Jair must be mourning.:lol: Sevilla being Sevilla away and 1-0 behind to Slavia Prague. Their away form has to be the worst out there of all top/subtop teams in the big 5 league. Machín might not survive an exit. Europa League is a tournament that Sevilla has been "owning" in the past 10-15 years.

Last edited:

Messi983

Didn't watch the game but don't think Napoli was ever in danger. They've scored first so Salzburg needed 5 goals and they've only scored their third in 92. minute.

Sevilla losing in Prague, damn.

And Arsenal already up 2-0.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Valencia barely got past Krasnodar, Sevilla is on the way of getting out, Villarreal is advancing.

The Sevilla Cup is no longer true any more.

Last edited:

Newcomer

Rennes getting hard done by the ref.
Easily spotted offside on Arsenal second goal and Arsenal very lucky with some calls (foul not called for one side but called for the other side, easy booking for Rennes but Arsenal getting away with yellow or red offences like Lacazette).

I don't really care for Rennes but i would be furious if i was a fan.
First, they had the second game at home with the draw and UEFA overturned it to make it at Emirates Stadium.

Then, Lacazette was suspended for this game but UEFA overturned the decision and allowed him to play this game.

And the ref doing home performance today...

Home of Barca Fans